Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

@pastrychef, I'm am soooo tempted to get the Sapphire RX Vega 64 @ Newegg's Black Friday sale for $400 to replace Gene's GTX 1080 FE. Whatcha think?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202326&ignorebbr=1

I've been reading/following this thread at MacRumor's Mac Pro forum section > https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/amd-polaris-vega-gpu-macos-support.2083168/

I saw a Vega 64 for about $440 last week. The prices have really come down a lot since the crypto currency mining craze.

The Vega cards are very good but at stock, they draw a lot of power and run quite hot. If you are willing to spend a little time to tweak them, you can improve performance while lowering power consumption and heat. Once tweaked properly, the Vegas can be very competitive with GTX 1080s or even 1080 Tis.

In macOS, I've found my Vega to be much smoother than the GTX 1080 I previously had. Although I'm still a bit bitter at Nvidia for their extremely buggy High Sierra drivers, I also have them to thank for forcing me to go AMD. I have zero regrets about the switch. Words can't describe how much better AMD is in macOS.

I'm am soooo tempted to get the Sapphire RX Vega 64 @ Newegg's Black Friday sale for $400 to replace Gene's GTX 1080 FE. Whatcha think?

Are you using the Gene build mostly for Logic Pro audio work ? If so the Vega 64 is much more horsepower than you need. A 570 or 580 that works OOB is more than adequate. If you work with 4K video or edit high res photos then the Vega 64 is the way to go. It is really power hungry though so figure that into your decision.
The performance of both Vega cards comes at a significant power cost. For the RX 500 series, we mused that load consumption is where AMD paid the piper. Here, the piper has taken AMD to the cleaners. In Battlefield 1, Vega 64 consumes 150W more system-wide power than the GTX 1080, its direct competitor. To be clear, additional power draw is expected, since Vega 64 is larger in both shader count (4096 vs. 2560) and die size (486mm2 vs. 314mm2) to the GTX 1080
Anandtech

Last edited:
I saw a Vega 64 for about $440 last week. The prices have really come down a lot since the crypto currency mining craze.

The Vega cards are very good but at stock, they draw a lot of power and run quite hot. If you are willing to spend a little time to tweak them, you can improve performance while lowering power consumption and heat. Once tweaked properly, the Vegas can be very competitive with GTX 1080s or even 1080 Tis.

In macOS, I've found my Vega to be much smoother than the GTX 1080 I previously had. Although I'm still a bit bitter at Nvidia for their extremely buggy High Sierra drivers, I also have them to thank for forcing me to go AMD. I have zero regrets about the switch. Words can't describe how much better AMD is in macOS.

Are you using Vegatab to tweak your card, and other then heat what does power consumption really matter.

Are you using Vegatab to tweak your card, and other then heat what does power consumption really matter.

Yes, I am using VGTab. I use it to undervolt and overclock the GPU. I also use it to overclock the HBM. This helps bring power consumption down while massively improving performance. My Vega stays below 80C.

Yes, I am using VGTab. I use it to undervolt and overclock the GPU. I also use it to overclock the HBM. This helps bring power consumption down while massively improving performance. My Vega stays below 80C.

Where can I download VGTab?

No prob. You can see how much it helped my Vega in this post. My Vega 56 outperforms many stock Vega 64s.

Now what about the fan speed issue? I know there's the RadeonVega56AirCoolingFansFix.kext but will that work with Vega 64?

I know shathenine made a RadeonVega64AirCoolingFansFix.kext but I can't find where to download it from.

Now what about the fan speed issue? I know there's the RadeonVega56AirCoolingFansFix.kext but will that work with Vega 64?

I know shathenine made a RadeonVega64AirCoolingFansFix.kext but I can't find where to download it from.

You can use VGTab to adjust your fan to however you want the fan to behave.

Back