Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
Asus RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is the first time anyone has reported this problem. Did you make any changes to the EFI? Did you generate serial, board serial, and UUID?

No, no changes at all to the EFI besides in the config.plist. I generated the serial, board serial, and SMUUID but I don't have a CustomUUID. I'm going to try to download the EFI again and see if that fixes it.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
I installed 17G2112 and tried without the device ID. The system booted up fine but running VDADecoderChecker resulted in an error and MacX Video Converter reported no hardware acceleration.

Rebooted with the injections and VDADecoderChecker reported fully supported and MacX Video Converter reported hardware acceleration.

Btw, yes, it's cool that About This Mac finally correctly identifies the CPU. :mrgreen:

You're using a Macbook Pro image, and it worked? Interesting....are you planning to show more of how that would work and how to make it work?

corint1

Suspended
Motherboard
ASUS MAXIMUS X HERO WI-FI AC
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I installed 17G2112 and tried without the device ID. The system booted up fine but running VDADecoderChecker resulted in an error and MacX Video Converter reported no hardware acceleration.

Rebooted with the injections and VDADecoderChecker reported fully supported and MacX Video Converter reported hardware acceleration.

Btw, yes, it's cool that About This Mac finally correctly identifies the CPU. :mrgreen:
same to me ...just lost time

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
You're using a Macbook Pro image, and it worked? Interesting....are you planning to show more of how that would work and how to make it work?

Yes, I'm using the build from the latest MacBook Pro. It's just High Sierra with added support for some MacBook Pro components. Apple also had a special build of macOS for the iMac Pro when it was released. Updates afterwards, unified everything in to a single build. I fully expect the same will happen in this instance.

adenbeckitt detailed how to download it in post #2498 or you can find pre-created installers in the third paragraph of post #1 in the Intel Framebuffer Patching For Mojave thread.

Installation is no different from any other macOS update. Double-click the installer and sit back & relax while it does its thing. It's a full installer so it takes approx 30-40 minutes.

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC)
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX580

That is very peculiar. Mine report full hardware acceleration.

Oh, didn’t you say it was something to do with having a dGpu too?

EDIT: See images.
1 - non apple kexts loaded (no WG)
2 - no injected ID
3 - VDADecoderChecker
4 - MacX Video Converter

EDIT2: I just saw that WG now allows use of fake Kaby Lake again so EFI 4.1 should work on the non MacBook build.
(Update: vit9696 added back ability to fake Kaby Lake platform-id's)

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    159.8 KB · Views: 209
  • 2.png
    2.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 3.png
    3.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 4.png
    4.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC)
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX580
same to me ...just lost time

Well, you haven't really lost time because you can use EFI 4.1, which didn't work on earlier builds (for me and at least one other person that posted)

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

2 - no injected ID
3 - VDADecoderChecker
4 - MacX Video Converter

EDIT2: I just saw that WG now allows use of fake Kaby Lake again so EFI 4.1 should work on the non MacBook build.

Yes. I tested with dGPU. I think that's the difference.

corint1

Suspended
Motherboard
ASUS MAXIMUS X HERO WI-FI AC
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

2 - no injected ID
3 - VDADecoderChecker
4 - MacX Video Converter

share you efi folder please...

Motherboard
MSI Z370i Pro Gaming Carbon AC
CPU
i3-8100
Graphics
RX460
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi @pastrychef. Did you changed the values also from your r4.1 of your Asus ROG Strix build? Or is this values from a different build config?

Thanks.

r4.1 uses Kaby Lake ig-platform-id because macOS High Sierra versions prior to 17G2112 do not have support for Coffee Lake. I will update my EFI folder when standard releases of macOS have support for Coffee Lake.