Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC)
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX580
Please try this and see if it makes any difference. Remember to backup your existing, working EFI and copy/paste your serial, board serial, and UUID.

Yeah, I have a USB with Clover on that I use if I make changes that won’t boot.

I’ll try that soon!

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX580
Please try this and see if it makes any difference. Remember to backup your existing, working EFI and copy/paste your serial, board serial, and UUID.

It booted, but was still stuck in 4K mode. I checked "about this Mac" and noticed it only had 31mb. My current working EFI uses 1536mb for the igpu.

It did seem to have less glitches though than the previous version. I noticed you changed the ig-platform-id. Were there any other changes?

Also, I tried to find a way to PM you but apparently its either not possible or a lot harder than it should be... your serial number etc is still in the EFI you posted for me to use.

EDIT: Does the unified efi use the platform-id from the previous EFIs? Or does it use the new one that is officially supported in Mojave? Could that be causing the problem as I'm still on High Sierra (and don't have the special MacBook build)?
Just thinking out loud...

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX Vega64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I was browsing through some threads and came across this one where a forum member has found a Chinese site and app that supposedly helps in the creation of kexts to help correct Vega fan speeds and can adjust frequencies. Warning: Use at your own risk. I have not tested it because I can't make heads or tails of all the Chinese...

Using the power of Google Translate I have made this application easier to understand for us English speaking people.

Attachments

• VGTab-en.zip
    429.5 KB · Views: 188

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It booted, but was still stuck in 4K mode. I checked "about this Mac" and noticed it only had 31mb. My current working EFI uses 1536mb for the igpu.

It did seem to have less glitches though than the previous version. I noticed you changed the ig-platform-id. Were there any other changes?

Also, I tried to find a way to PM you but apparently its either not possible or a lot harder than it should be... your serial number etc is still in the EFI you posted for me to use.

EDIT: Does the unified efi use the platform-id from the previous EFIs? Or does it use the new one that is officially supported in Mojave? Could that be causing the problem as I'm still on High Sierra (and don't have the special MacBook build)?
Just thinking out loud...

ig-platform-id 59120000 was used in previous releases for UHD630. I replicated it with the EFI I sent you.

Yes. I saw that the serial, board serial, and UUID were empty and I filled them.

Private communications is frowned upon by the forum. It is preferred to keep communications public so that others can learn form the information posted.

I have made a few changes as per the guide. Please try this one.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    33.5 MB · Views: 134

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Using the power of Google Translate I have made this application easier to understand for us English speaking people.

Wow! Thank you so much for your help!! I will be sure to add this to the first post!! :thumbup:

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX580
ig-platform-id 59120000 was used in previous releases for UHD630. I replicated it with the EFI I sent you.

Yes. I saw that the serial, board serial, and UUID were empty and I filled them.

Private communications is frowned upon by the forum. It is preferred to keep communications public so that others can learn form the information posted.

I have made a few changes as per the guide. Please try this one.

Ahhh, they were empty because I wanted to keep the details private.

I appreciate the help, I will let you know the results as soon as I get a chance to try it :)

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
Asus RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, I updated to the latest EFI and transferred all of my settings but my headphones don't work anymore after sleep. How can I fix this?

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, I updated to the latest EFI and transferred all of my settings but my headphones don't work anymore after sleep. How can I fix this?

Hmm... Audio is working fine for me after sleep, including headphones. You can try changing Audio-id to 1 to see if it helps you.
Screen Shot 2018-07-23 at 9.17.07 PM.png

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
Asus RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hmm... Audio is working fine for me after sleep, including headphones. You can try changing Audio-id to 1 to see if it helps you.
View attachment 342773

Ok, I will try that and see if it works. Thanks.

BTW, my audio through DisplayPort works after sleep but just not my headphones.

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yea good point. I will try this kext for some time. BTW I made a mistake that the kexts I upload last time had max TDP set to 80%. I will attach one below with Max TDP set to 150%.

I have been using this kext for about a day and a half and have not seen any problems. I have not had time to play any games to push the video card yet, but I did notice that my idle temps are really great, even better than when I first applied Liquid Metal.

Fan Speed % = 16
Fan Speed RPM = 803
Temperature = 41C
Ambient Temp = 24C

Thanks again for your help!