Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yes, I download the EFI for Intel UHD630 r3.2 and install that after I check if IntelMausiEthernet.kext was present and it is.

You will have to check your network and the cabling. I am positive that ethernet works at 1Gb. You can try connected a cable directly to another computer to test.

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
UHD 630
You will have to check your network and the cabling. I am positive that ethernet works at 1Gb. You can try connected a cable directly to another computer to test.
yes of course both ethernet and cable works at 1 Gb. I can try with another cable and another pc to test. Maybe the cable is broken?

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
yes of course both ethernet and cable works at 1 Gb. I can try with another cable and another pc to test. Maybe the cable is broken?

Try connecting the cable to another computer directly. No switch, no hub.

Motherboard
ASUS Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1070ti
Thank you for the wonderful guide pastrychef. I plan to follow it step by step as I assemble my machine. Have you tested this build with any adobe cc apps specifically premiere pro? I'm hoping to use a hackintosh as my primary editing machine and I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around why AMD works better than NVIDIA. Nothing I've read has given me a definitive answer as to which would be better for editing and rendering 4k in premiere. Hoping to know more about this before I take the plunge. Thanks!

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thank you for the wonderful guide pastrychef. I plan to follow it step by step as I assemble my machine. Have you tested this build with any adobe cc apps specifically premiere pro? I'm hoping to use a hackintosh as my primary editing machine and I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around why AMD works better than NVIDIA. Nothing I've read has given me a definitive answer as to which would be better for editing and rendering 4k in premiere. Hoping to know more about this before I take the plunge. Thanks!

Sorry, I don't use Premiere Pro. Based on everything I've read, Nvidia cards will perform better with Premiere Pro than an AMD card.

The reason why I switched from an Nvidia card to an AMD card is because of (1) native macOS support and (2) buggy Nvidia drivers. The Nvidia web drivers for macOS 10.13.0 to 10.13.3 were all buggy and caused severe UI lag. The workaround was to use the drivers from macOS 10.12.6. At the same time, Apple was hard at work getting eGPU support working. This helped make some AMD cards run much better in macOS.

The fact that Nvidia did not fix the UI lag after 3 revisions of macOS made me completely lose confidence in them and I made the switch. I simply had more confidence in Apple getting AMD cards working right in macOS than Nvidia would. With all the changes in macOS and Apple depreciating OpenGL and OpenCL in favor of Metal, I'm much more comfortable having an AMD card that is natively supported by Apple and macOS.

Just my opinion...

Motherboard
ASUS Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1070ti
Yes, good point. I'm definitely leaning towards AMD. Many thanks pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G WiFi AC
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 5700
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
BCM94360CS2 has Bluetooth 4.0.

Be careful with using DSDTs made for other computers. Even on real iMacs, there's no PCI-e info. That's purely cosmetic and not needed. It makes even less sense on an ITX motherboard where there's only one PCI-e slot. You should know what video card you have plugged in. If you don't, all the info is in System Information>Graphics/Display. Otherwise, DPCIManager can also provide info on what's in your PCI-e slots.
View attachment 334248
Source: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

Thanks. After booting 2-3x successfully, I then started booting with a white NOT symbol. I then went into Windows, used a tool to mount the EFI partition, and used Explorer+++ to open the EFI partition and remove the DSDT file. I then could immediate boot, in spite of two failures immediately prior.

I appreciate your comments and knowledge!

Motherboard
Assus Rog STRIX 370 Gaming G
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
UHD 630
I'm having trouble getting display port output working over iGPU, HDMI is fine - I have the same build as you Pastry, minus the GPU. I'm on Sierra and everything else is working fine. I've tried a couple of cables, is there anything I need to set to get display port up and running?

My first Hackintosh (or PC build) and it was quite simple to put together by following your guide.

Thanks for all your efforts.

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm having trouble getting display port output working over iGPU, HDMI is fine - I have the same build as you Pastry, minus the GPU. I'm on Sierra and everything else is working fine. I've tried a couple of cables, is there anything I need to set to get display port up and running?

My first Hackintosh (or PC build) and it was quite simple to put together by following your guide.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Wow. I'm very surprised. DisplayPort should be working... At what point do you lose video?