Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hi pastrychef

Thanks for all your contribution, very professional.
Im planning on replicating your build - into an older MacPro Case.

The question I have:
Is this build, specially the mobo / gpu vega combo compatible to drive an lg 5k monitor over a Gigabyte GC-ALPINE RIDGE Thunderbolt3 connection? And connect an additional mDP monitor?

I know that this is still very experimental, here someone #336 got it working.
Do you have any experience with this?

And would you still use the same parts for this 8700k build?

Thanks!

Hi pastrychef

Thanks for all your contribution, very professional.
Im planning on replicating your build - into an older MacPro Case.

The question I have:
Is this build, specially the mobo / gpu vega combo compatible to drive an lg 5k monitor over a Gigabyte GC-ALPINE RIDGE Thunderbolt3 connection? And connect an additional mDP monitor?

I know that this is still very experimental, here someone #336 got it working.
Do you have any experience with this?

And would you still use the same parts for this 8700k build?

Thanks!

Hi.

Unfortunately, I have never tried getting Thunderbolt working on a hackintosh. I never had any Thunderbolt accessories and the mATX motherboards that I liked never had Thunderbolt options.

I do know that there's been considerable progress made in making Thunderbolt work in a hack. Some even have hot plugging working on hacks now. But, to be very honest, I never really read much on the topic because I didn't anticipate myself ever investing an Thunderbolt accessories.

If Thunderbolt is a high priority for you, you must choose a motherboard that has an internal Thunderbolt header to be able to use one of the Thunderbolt PCI-e cards. Without this header, the Thunderbolt PCI-e cards will not work. So, the decision must be made when shopping for a motherboard whether or not you intend to add Thunderbolt.

Thanks for this awesome guide, my strix z370-i with UHD630 build works fine expect the USB port limit issues, my USB3 port doesn't work, and I can only see 15 port with IORegistryExporler in XHC@14.

I tried disable "15port limit patch" and enable "PMHearts", but still can't see missing ports.

I see the recommended way you mentioned before, is to create a SSDT map for USB ports, and I've read through the guides listed. but I can't figure out how can I create mappings for USB3 port if they are not appear in IORegistryExporler, am I missed something?

Thanks!

Thanks for this awesome guide, my strix z370-i with UHD630 build works fine expect the USB port limit issues, my USB3 port doesn't work, and I can only see 15 port with IORegistryExporler in XHC@14.

I tried disable "15port limit patch" and enable "PMHearts", but still can't see missing ports.

I see the recommended way you mentioned before, is to create a SSDT map for USB ports, and I've read through the guides listed. but I can't figure out how can I create mappings for USB3 port if they are not appear in IORegistryExporler, am I missed something?

Thanks!

Hi.

Yes, ideally, you want to see all 26 ports so that you can map them out. But, I think we can try and cheat a little...

Strix Z370-G USB ports 1.54.39 PM.jpg

If you look at my USB ports, you can see that the Super Speed (aka USB3) port numbers correspond identically to the High Speed (aka USB2) ports. It was exactly the same situation when I mapped out the ports on my previous build. Therefore, I think we can cheat and just assume that the SS port numbers will be the same as the HS port numbers.

This should allow you to make your SSDT.

Have you tried the USB Type-C port?

I ask because the Type-C on my Gene using your SSDT doesn't work and neither does the Type-C port on MyHero and MyHero II. I have an OWC Type-C dock that I'd like to use on those systems, and I'm stumped on how to debug this problem.

Any suggestions or insights to get me pointed in the right direction to solve this problem?

Have you tried the USB Type-C port?

I ask because the Type-C on my Gene using your SSDT doesn't work and neither does the Type-C port on MyHero and MyHero II. I have an OWC Type-C dock that I'd like to use on those systems, and I'm stumped on how to debug this problem.

Any suggestions or insights to get me pointed in the right direction to solve this problem?

Yes, I tested the USB 3.1 gen 2 ports briefly and saw noticeable improvements in speed. I wrote a little about it here.

Edit:
I want to add that the USB 3.1 gen 2 ports on our motherboards are on separate ASMedia controllers and totally unaffected by USBInjectAll.kext and/or the SSDT files.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your help pastrychef. My system is running beautifully, and everything so far that I've tried is working well :)

Now just a bit of tidying and adding my drives out of my Mac mini with all my iTunes media on it and it will be running spot on :)

Last edited:
Whats up guys, first post here, I've done a ton of reading through threads on threads on threads and only have scratched the surface. In particular this thread (first page mainly) has been re-read a ton of times, I'm in the process of choosing parts and close to pulling the trigger on setting up a graphic/motion design hackintosh rig. @pastrychef you Legend!

Anyway,

Firstly, the ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) although not recommended CustoMac mobo section will it work in place of the Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) in this guide?

Secondly, if so I wanted to confirm if the wifi M.2 hack (#40) will work on it?

Thanks for the amazing work guys you're all legends! Its unreal the amount of information available on here!

Whats up guys, first post here, I've done a ton of reading through threads on threads on threads and only have scratched the surface. In particular this thread (first page mainly) has been re-read a ton of times, I'm in the process of choosing parts and close to pulling the trigger on setting up a graphic/motion design hackintosh rig. @pastrychef you Legend!

Anyway,

Firstly, the ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) although not recommended CustoMac mobo section will it work in place of the Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) in this guide?

Secondly, if so I wanted to confirm if the wifi M.2 hack (#40) will work on it?

Thanks for the amazing work guys you're all legends! Its unreal the amount of information available on here!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes, my EFI folders should work with the Maximus X Hero. The only thing that will not work is the SSDT for USB. You will have to create your own. SSDT for USB is motherboard specific.

Yes, the same procedure for swapping Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card will work.

Here is another thread from a Maximus X Hero user. He had some difficulties with getting his drives seen and I think the solution was in post #130. It's worth reading through so you don't make the same mistake. Essentially, he came across PCI lanes limitations and his SSDs were both using shared lanes.

I'm still very much an noob and learning new things everyday. The real legends are guys like RehabMan and all the devs who develop Clover, kexts, etc for all our benefits.

Back