Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hi pastrychefs manny thanks for your guide, i just bought very similar hardware except the board, yours is -G and mine is -F (G wasn't available when i bought it), do you know if i can use your EFI folder without any problems?

Thanks again :)

Yes, it should work for you. The only thing you should not use is my SSDT-USB.aml. You will have to create your own because the USB layouts will be different.

Thanks a lot :)

Do you have any newbie guide to create our own SSDT-USB? Thanks again.

Not really. In post #1, I have two guides linked, but they can be a little confusing for noobs... Just read through them several times and you should be able to get an understanding.

Not really. In post #1, I have two guides linked, but they can be a little confusing for noobs... Just read through them several times and you should be able to get an understanding.

Thanks again, i am trying to get to install screen, but keeps rebooting when apple logo appear :/

Thanks again, i am trying to get to install screen, but keeps rebooting when apple logo appear :/

Try booting in verbose mode and see if you can make out what the texts says or, better yet, try to take a picture with your cellphone.

Also, remember the read about the RAM issue in post #1. It's in all red so you can't miss it.

Try booting in verbose mode and see if you can make out what the texts says or, better yet, try to take a picture with your cellphone.

Also, remember the read about the RAM issue in post #1. It's in all red so you can't miss it.
Yeah before i saw your reply i tried with verbose and when i saw the error i thought could be related tk ram so re-read your post...its finally showing the install loading screen :)

It worked now...

I see some icons for preboot on clover, is that expected? Is there a way to remove them?

I have dual boot with windows, its possible to just leave on clover:

- Boot on High Sierra (default)
- Boot on HS Recovery
- Boot on Windows?

Its been a long time i didn't had a hack :)

Last edited:
Whats the difference between EFI AMD RX-500 and r3?

All changes are listed i n the updates section of post #1. Primarily, just updated kexts, Clover, etc.

I have been using a Samsung SM951 M.2 AHCI SSD for close to two years now. It has been reliable and, although not the fastest SSD around, plenty fast for me. About the only criticism that I could give it is that it sometimes ran quite hot under heavy use.

According to specs, the recommended operating range is 32F-158F/0C-70C. There had been a few occasions where I saw temps just above 150F. The BareFeats article below claims to have seen it reach 180F/82F! There have been quite a lot of confirmation that, when it reaches 158F/70C, it will throttle speeds down to keep it from overheating. When throttled, performance can go from "~1500MB/s all the way down to 70MB/s!!

Sources:
http://barefeats.com/hard211.html
http://www.legitreviews.com/samsung-sm951-512gb-m-2-pcie-ssd-review_161689/3

So, I decided to invest in a heatsink to, hopefully, prevent it from ever throttling. I decided to go with this:
s-l1600.png s-l1600.jpg
I found it on eBay for about $17. Just search for "NVMe heatsink", there will be quite a few varieties but I chose this one because it appeared that it would be beneficial to M.2 SSDs that have chips on both sides which is the case with my SM951 and I liked that it is held together by screws.

I immediately saw lowered temps. With little to no disk activity, it now stays a pretty steady 106F/41C where it used to be around 112F/44.5C. In heavy stress testing, it maxed out at 145F/63C. I think this is safely under the 158F/70C and I don't think I will ever see any throttling.

Last edited:
Back