Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

While in the midst of a brutal summer, I am glad that over the years, I've gradually shifted to cooler running computer equipment at home. Since switching to a Mac Studio as my daily driver, I've noticed how much more efficient my home air conditioning is. I hardly ever see the Mac Studio use more than 50W from the wall regardless of what I'm doing.

I'm also using a Raspberry Pi 4 to handle most of my home server needs. The little Pi runs a bunch of services and never breaks a sweat. You can see the services it's running and the temps below.

Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 9.03.50 AM.png

I no longer even keep my Z370-G build on my desk anymore and I'm about ready to either give it away or repurpose the hardware for some other use. The Mac Studio does everything I need faster, better, and cooler. I also don't even need Windows for anything anymore since moving to retro emulation gaming and discovering a macOS compatible piece of software for uploading stuff to usenet. If/when I ever need to run a Windows app, I can do it through a UTM virtual machine running Windows 11 on Arm.

So, moving forward, I won't be able to test EFI updates before posting and will need help from you guys to inform me if anything is broken. I want to, at the very least, provide working EFIs until macOS Ventura is released.

Last edited:
I'm also using a Raspberry Pi 4 to handle most of my home server needs. The little Pi runs a bunch of services and never breaks a sweat. You can see the services it's running and the temps below.

View attachment 552723
Please provide a link to setup Pi to be a NAS. TIA. BTW, your Pi Internet router screener works great, but I can't find the link which you provide me. Please repost the link as it is good use for Raspberry Pi.
The Mac Studio does everything I need faster, better, and cooler. I also don't even need Windows for anything anymore since moving to retro emulation gaming and discovering a macOS compatible piece of software for uploading stuff to usenet. If/when I ever need to run a Windows app, I can do it through a UTM virtual machine running Windows 11 on Arm.
I recently bought an Apple Mac Studio and agree with your opinion. However, what's "usenet" and "UTM" VM?

Please provide a link to setup Pi to be a NAS. TIA. BTW, your Pi Internet router screener works great, but I can't find the link which you provide me. Please repost the link as it is good use for Raspberry Pi.

I recently bought an Apple Mac Studio and agree with your opinion. However, what's "usenet" and "UTM" VM?

There are quite a few ways to set up a NAS on a Raspberry Pi, but I think OpenMediaVault is a really good solution and has a pretty friendly GUI. The following is a beginner friendly setup guide:

Which screener are you speaking of? Do you mean Pi-Hole? That can be setup within minutes just following the install guide on their website. I have since switched over to having Pi-Hole run in a Docker container which is also quite easy to do.

Congrats on the Mac Studio!! Are you in love yet? Lol

The following is a good explanation of what usenet is... To expand, I think nowadays, it's used more as a file sharing solution than for messaging.

UTM is an open source virtualization environment. Think free alternative to Parallels. Btw, virtualization is also possible on the Raspberry Pis via Proxmox or VmWare ESXi.

There are quite a few ways to set up a NAS on a Raspberry Pi, but I think OpenMediaVault is a really good solution and has a pretty friendly GUI. The following is a beginner friendly setup guide:
Thank you. It will be a replacement for my old Synology 110j NAS which is no longer supported. :cry:
Which screener are you speaking of? Do you mean Pi-Hole? That can be setup within minutes just following the install guide on their website. I have since switched over to having Pi-Hole run in a Docker container which is also quite easy to do.
Yes. That's it. Now to bookmark the link. ;)
Congrats on the Mac Studio!! Are you in love yet? Lol
You betcha! :headbang:
The following is a good explanation of what usenet is... To expand, I think nowadays, it's used more as a file sharing solution than for messaging.

UTM is an open source virtualization environment. Think free alternative to Parallels. Btw, virtualization is also possible on the Raspberry Pis via Proxmox or VmWare ESXi.
Thank you! :thumbup:

@Stork: The key part of Usenet is the utilities around it for automation. For example, in order to pull mountains of movies and TV shows in a completely automated fashion, typically docker containers and Usenet are heavily involved; the "trash guides" (https://trash-guides.info/) are the common way to get there. All of that uses Usenet (and friends) for file detection, location, and download.

Thank you. It will be a replacement for my old Synology 110j NAS which is no longer supported. :cry:

Yes. That's it. Now to bookmark the link. ;)

You betcha! :headbang:

Thank you! :thumbup:

The Synology should still be fine. I don't think there has been changes to SMB, AFS, or NFS that would affect it's compatibility.

The Synology should still be fine. I don't think there has been changes to SMB, AFS, or NFS that would affect it's compatibility.
Fingers crossed. The Synology one disk NAS is great for home/personal use.

Fingers crossed. The Synology one disk NAS is great for home/personal use.

You just won't get new features of DSM 6 or DSM 7. But for the basic "NAS" functions, it will continue to work fine.

I don't really do much on my NAS other than using it as a NAS and running Plex server so I've never tried upgrading to DSM 7 and stayed on DSM 6.

Agreed on that; the latest isn't really required. I'm not terribly impressed with DSM 7.1, but tbf there wasn't really much that I felt DSM6.x lacked. It is a very, very good foundation for a simple, fast, easy to manage SMB share (with the ability to run other stuff too, depending on the CPU you have in the box). I typically don't run too much else, as I have a cheap ultrasmall PC for that, but the option is there.

Agreed on that; the latest isn't really required. I'm not terribly impressed with DSM 7.1, but tbf there wasn't really much that I felt DSM6.x lacked. It is a very, very good foundation for a simple, fast, easy to manage SMB share (with the ability to run other stuff too, depending on the CPU you have in the box). I typically don't run too much else, as I have a cheap ultrasmall PC for that, but the option is there.
Both of my Synoglogy NASs are end of life on version mDSM 5.2 OS. So, I'll have to investigate on their forum if that's going to be a problem.

Back