Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Motherboard
Asus ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING (WI-FI AC)
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT + WX9100
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Pastrychef! Long time, I hope you are doing well.

The rig is fit and I am very, very happy with it. Thanks for your dedication!

I have had to change my gtx 1080 for a Radeon PRO WX9100 (no other choices available right now) as I don't want to be forever stuck in High Sierra 10.13.6. It was just plug and play.

Now I need to update to Big Sur in order to use OctaneX render on METAL.

But I need your master's expertise and help:

Can this OS update only be done using OpenCore exclusively?

I have tried your latest OC EFI (EFI OpenCore 0.6.7 Z370G). I updated ROM, UUID, Sys SN and MLB using both ProperTree and OC configurator but I always get this error:

OCSB: No suitable signature - Security Violation
OCB: Apple Secure Boot prohibits this boot entry, enforcing!
OCB: LoadImage failed - Security Violation

I have tried clearing Nvram. Nothing seems to work, from neither my main drive or the clone backup drive.
So I am now back in Clover4674 running smoothly but unable to use Octane or OctaneX.
What can I do?

Thanks in advance!

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Pastrychef! Long time, I hope you are doing well.

The rig is fit and I am very, very happy with it. Thanks for your dedication!

I have had to change my gtx 1080 for a Radeon PRO WX9100 (no other choices available right now) as I don't want to be forever stuck in High Sierra 10.13.6. It was just plug and play.

Now I need to update to Big Sur in order to use OctaneX render on METAL.

But I need your master's expertise and help:

Can this OS update only be done using OpenCore exclusively?

I have tried your latest OC EFI (EFI OpenCore 0.6.7 Z370G). I updated ROM, UUID, Sys SN and MLB using both ProperTree and OC configurator but I always get this error:

OCSB: No suitable signature - Security Violation
OCB: Apple Secure Boot prohibits this boot entry, enforcing!
OCB: LoadImage failed - Security Violation

I have tried clearing Nvram. Nothing seems to work, from neither my main drive or the clone backup drive.
So I am now back in Clover4674 running smoothly but unable to use Octane or OctaneX.
What can I do?

Thanks in advance!

Try setting config.plist > Misc > Security > SecureBootModel to Disabled.

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT + WX9100
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yeah. It's not a problem.
Thank you!
On Big Sur already, updating went smooth.

Big UI change and lots of security options to configure.

I am dissapointed with the wx9100 and OctaneX performance, crashes with scenes created on my gtx 1080. Also luxmark crashes sometimes when starting cpu+gpu tests.
Guess I‘ll have to check my overclock setup and maybe lower it below 48.

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thank you!

I am dissapointed with the wx9100 and OctaneX performance, crashes with scenes created on my gtx 1080. Also luxmark crashes sometimes when starting cpu+gpu tests.

It shouldn't be crashing. Try without the overclocks.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thank you!

Maybe the GPU is getting hot.

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
birthday_apple_grande.gif

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT + WX9100
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It shouldn't be crashing. Try without the overclocks.
Maybe the GPU is getting hot.

Scott, it does not seem to be a temp problem but maybe it's a a power issue?. If the card spikes to higher than supposed wattage, might this be the problem?. My PSU is a Corsair 650watts 80 Plus Gold.

Running Cinebench r23 with an OC of 46 the system remained stable at around 85º with all 12 cores running full power and no panics. The GPU is not used in this CPU render tests.
But I observed iStat menus reporting CPU power spikes of 250w! Is this a normal behaviour? I believed it could not go higher than 95w.

Pastrychef, take look at the very good Cinebench results in the attached image. :D

So, yesterday I spent all day testing without any OC.

The crashing happens inside Cinema with certain heavy scenes only when Octane starts rendering: all the cores start working at full power and at some point -I guess when the card stars to actually render- the system freezes. Sometimes glitches invade both monitors.
Then either the OS logs out of the user (some kind of soft reboot? New to Big Sur?) or a hard reboot happens with the machine restarting.

I believe there is something on that Cinema scene that makes Octane do something too demanding. Maybe too much geometry for the AMD with 16GB even the 1080 has no problem with it?
A previous version of Octane induced hard reboots via a bad RAM management in all kind of systems.

Anyway I have finally ordered a i9-9900K as OctaneX does solely rely on CPU for denoising (bummer), I'll benefit with the upgrade.

Should I also upgrade my 650w PSU?

Thank you and happy easter.

Attachments

• Cinebench_OC46.png
    Cinebench_OC46.png
    84.3 KB · Views: 22
  • render failure glitches.png
    render failure glitches.png
    348 KB · Views: 35
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Scott, it does not seem to be a temp problem but maybe it's a a power issue?. If the card spikes to higher than supposed wattage, might this be the problem?. My PSU is a Corsair 650watts 80 Plus Gold.

Running Cinebench r23 with an OC of 46 the system remained stable at around 85º with all 12 cores running full power and no panics. The GPU is not used in this CPU render tests.
But I observed iStat menus reporting CPU power spikes of 250w! Is this a normal behaviour? I believed it could not go higher than 95w.

Pastrychef, take look at the very good Cinebench results in the attached image. :D

So, yesterday I spent all day testing without any OC.

The crashing happens inside Cinema with certain heavy scenes only when Octane starts rendering: all the cores start working at full power and at some point -I guess when the card stars to actually render- the system freezes. Sometimes glitches invade both monitors.
Then either the OS logs out of the user (some kind of soft reboot? New to Big Sur?) or a hard reboot happens with the machine restarting.

I believe there is something on that Cinema scene that makes Octane do something too demanding. Maybe too much geometry for the AMD with 16GB even the 1080 has no problem with it?
A previous version of Octane induced hard reboots via a bad RAM management in all kind of systems.

Anyway I have finally ordered a i9-9900K as OctaneX does solely rely on CPU for denoising (bummer), I'll benefit with the upgrade.

Should I also upgrade my 650w PSU?

Thank you and happy easter.
if that is 85C that's hot that is around when mine crashes rendering and lots of effects or gaming. Since I under volted the card and set the cards fan on blast off mode @ 75 it rarely reaches 78C and since no random freeze. You probably should have a 750w but plenty of people say 650w is fine. I do not think it is a power draw issue but a heat issue.