Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Why do you think you're only going up to 4.65? Are you running Intel Power Gadget to see the details, or ?

Why do you think you're only going up to 4.65? Are you running Intel Power Gadget to see the details, or ?

Thanks for replying. I used HWMonitor. Power Gadget reports a similar frequency (i.e. 4.70 GHz). Please see attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 12.30.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 12.30.02 AM.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 193
Hi pastrychef. I have the same CPU and motherboard as you. I specified i7-8700K in user config and used ssdtprgen.sh to generate ssdt.aml. appleintelinfo.kext recognizes the turbo frequency (i.e. 5.0 GHz), but macOS only runs as high as 4.65 GHz. Any idea why? Thank you.

It sounds like you have AVX offset at 3. This does not seem to work correctly in macOS and it's always enabled.

In BIOS, in Extreme Tweaker, set AVX Instruction Core Ratio Offset to 0.

It sounds like you have AVX offset at 3. This does not seem to work correctly in macOS and it's always enabled.

In BIOS, in Extreme Tweaker, set AVX Instruction Core Ratio Offset to 0.

You, sir, are a genius. I overlooked AVX. Thank you so much.

Also, I have been fighting UserEventAgent sucking up 83% of CPU. Did you run into this or have any idea what is causing it? I imagine this will be hard to troubleshoot since there are many variables. I used USBInjectAll.kext and SSDT to disable non-compatible hardware (e.g. Bluetooth/WiFi, SD reader, CPU cooler USB connection). That didn't help.

You, sir, are a genius. I overlooked AVX. Thank you so much.

Also, I have been fighting UserEventAgent sucking up 83% of CPU. Did you run into this or have any idea what is causing it? I imagine this will be hard to troubleshoot since there are many variables. I used USBInjectAll.kext and SSDT to disable non-compatible hardware (e.g. Bluetooth/WiFi, SD reader, CPU cooler USB connection). That didn't help.

No, I don't think I've ever seen that on my system... How long does it use up so much of the CPU? Does its usage go down after a period of time?

I never even booted up with the original, included Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card. I do know that they can be turned on/off in BIOS so that's another option for disabling them.

I've run into a set of problems here. Before I explain I would like to let you know that I have not updated the BIOS for the z370-G WiFi (ver. 0402), I am using the mobo's DisplayPort (haven't taken my 1070 out of my other machine yet), and am using a fresh HDD for the install. I haven't installed Windows on it yet either. My plan was to get it working decently stable, to then install it on my SSD that already has Win10 on it for a dual boot. I'm not sure if any of these things are relevant but I wanted them to be known.

When I first attempted to install High Sierra, I did so without replacing the EFI folder in the EFI partition with the one linked in your thread (the first mistake I made). With that install, things seemed to off to a great start. I could boot from the USB installer without any issues and "about this mac" picked up my 2x8GB ram sticks in slots B1 and A1, CPU was reporting correctly, and BCM94360CS2 worked like a charm. However, when I tried booting from the HDD it crashed every time. This is when I realized I had made a mistake and decided I was going to restart the process.

I erased the partition of the HDD that I had installed OS X, recreated my USB installer and correctly replaced the EFI folder in the EFI partition with the one linked in your thread. After making sure my mobo settings were still correct, I booted from USB proceeded to "boot os x install from install macOS high sierra". Right after I click that, I go to a black screen with the Apple logo and constantly crash at around 40%. I tried this several more times and it keeps crashing at around the same loading percentage. I am still using the EFI partition on my HDD from the first install. Do you think this may be causing the crash? Should I fully erase the HDD and recreate a 200mb EFI partition? Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

I've run into a set of problems here. Before I explain I would like to let you know that I have not updated the BIOS for the z370-G WiFi (ver. 0402), I am using the mobo's DisplayPort (haven't taken my 1070 out of my other machine yet), and am using a fresh HDD for the install. I haven't installed Windows on it yet either. My plan was to get it working decently stable, to then install it on my SSD that already has Win10 on it for a dual boot. I'm not sure if any of these things are relevant but I wanted them to be known.

When I first attempted to install High Sierra, I did so without replacing the EFI folder in the EFI partition with the one linked in your thread (the first mistake I made). With that install, things seemed to off to a great start. I could boot from the USB installer without any issues and "about this mac" picked up my 2x8GB ram sticks in slots B1 and A1, CPU was reporting correctly, and BCM94360CS2 worked like a charm. However, when I tried booting from the HDD it crashed every time. This is when I realized I had made a mistake and decided I was going to restart the process.

I erased the partition of the HDD that I had installed OS X, recreated my USB installer and correctly replaced the EFI folder in the EFI partition with the one linked in your thread. After making sure my mobo settings were still correct, I booted from USB proceeded to "boot os x install from install macOS high sierra". Right after I click that, I go to a black screen with the Apple logo and constantly crash at around 40%. I tried this several more times and it keeps crashing at around the same loading percentage. I am still using the EFI partition on my HDD from the first install. Do you think this may be causing the crash? Should I fully erase the HDD and recreate a 200mb EFI partition? Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

If you are using my EFI file the Intel UHD 630 graphics, you should edit the config.plist with the following.

In Clover Configurator, Graphics section, change ig-platform-id to "0x59120000".

With my EFI, the current setting is for the UHD 630 to operate headlessly (like in real iMacs) for Quick Sync and HEVC functionality. A dedicated graphics card is required for video output. The above change enables the UHD 630 to output video. I will add a 3rd EFI folder for those who want to use the UHD 630 without a dedicated video card tomorrow.

Last edited:
If you are using my EFI file the Intel UHD 630 graphics, you should edit the config.plist with the following.

In Clover Configurator, Graphics section, change ig-platform-id to "0x59120000".

With my EFI, the current setting is for the UHD 630 to operate headlessly (like in real iMacs) for Quick Sync and HEVC functionality. A dedicated graphics card is required for video output. The above change enables the UHD 630 to output video. I will add a 3rd EFI folder for those who want to use the UHD 630 without a dedicated video card tomorrow.

First off thank you for the reply and also for uploading a third EFI file for those who want to go that route.

I did try installing with that new EFI folder and the computer crashed at the same spot. After reaching the black apple logo screen it reboots at about 40%. This is after I select "Boot OS X Install from Install macOS High Sierra" from the Merry Christmas menu. Any idea what else it could be? I'm going to try completely wiping the HDD and creating a new EFI partition to see if that does anything.

First off thank you for the reply and also for uploading a third EFI file for those who want to go that route.

I did try installing with that new EFI folder and the computer crashed at the same spot. After reaching the black apple logo screen it reboots at about 40%. This is after I select "Boot OS X Install from Install macOS High Sierra" from the Merry Christmas menu. Any idea what else it could be? I'm going to try completely wiping the HDD and creating a new EFI partition to see if that does anything.

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by "crashing"? Can you try booting in verbose mode and showing me where it crashes? Have you tried with your video card installed?

Back