Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC)
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am updating my Strix Z370-G with a couple of new 1 TB Samsung 860 EVO drives. I always have at least 2 drives in my system so I can have a weekly clone made via carbon copy cloner. I have been using Clover as a bootloader but I am interested in switching to Opencore since it seems a little cleaner. I see you have made a handy zip file titled "EFI OpenCore 0.6.1 Z370G" which looks like all I need specific to this motherboard (w RX580 & i7-8700). I am wondering, when you tried this did you make a guide of any kind? Is there a link? I see a lot of Opencore install guides. I suppose I can just follow one and then sub in your EFI folder with my hardware particulars? Is that right? Any comments or advice appreciated.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am updating my Strix Z370-G with a couple of new 1 TB Samsung 860 EVO drives. I always have at least 2 drives in my system so I can have a weekly clone made via carbon copy cloner. I have been using Clover as a bootloader but I am interested in switching to Opencore since it seems a little cleaner. I see you have made a handy zip file titled "EFI OpenCore 0.6.1 Z370G" which looks like all I need specific to this motherboard (w RX580 & i7-8700). I am wondering, when you tried this did you make a guide of any kind? Is there a link? I see a lot of Opencore install guides. I suppose I can just follow one and then sub in your EFI folder with my hardware particulars? Is that right? Any comments or advice appreciated.

No guide is necessary. Just plug in your Serial, Board Serial, UUID, and MAC address as instructed in the zip file and put it in your EFI partition.

You can test from the EFI partition of a USB flash drive first to make sure everything is working correctly.

Motherboard
Asus Z370-F
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
RX 6600
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I used your efi,but when i login ,the keyboard and mouse can't work.How to solve this issue

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I used your efi,but when i login ,the keyboard and mouse can't work.How to solve this issue

You need to redo the USB ports kext for your motherboard.

Motherboard
Asus Z370-F
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
RX 6600
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
You need to redo the USB ports kext for your motherboard.
Can you help me redo the usb ports kext

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Can you help me redo the usb ports kext

No. I need physical access to the computer. Just follow the guide I linked to above. It's easy.

Motherboard
Z690I Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Plus (DDR5)
CPU
i9-12900KS
Graphics
RX 6800
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Any advice for migrating main OS drive? I want to move the current OS volume to a new NVMe SSD but am not confident in doing so for this specific build. Wondering if you guys have a guide somewhere for that, can't seem to find it.

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Any advice for migrating main OS drive? I want to move the current OS volume to a new NVMe SSD but am not confident in doing so for this specific build. Wondering if you guys have a guide somewhere for that, can't seem to find it.

Method 1:
Use either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! to clone the drive to your new NVMe SSD.
When done, mount the EFI partitions of both your source drive and destination drive.
Copy entire EFI folder from EFI portion of source drive to EFI partition of destination drive.

Method 2:
Make a Time Machine backup.
Boot in to Recovery partition.
Recover from Time Machine backup to your new NVMe SSD.
Boot in to macOS.
Mount the EFI partitions of both your source drive and destination drive.
Copy entire EFI folder from EFI portion of source drive to EFI partition of destination drive.