Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Motherboard
ASUS ROG Z370-G
CPU
Graphics
RX580 MSI
Nice!

Open your config.plist with a plist editor and navigate to config.plist > Kernel > Add > and look for WhateverGreen and make sure it is set to be enabled. This should get your HDMI ports working. However, if at all possible, try to use DisplayPort instead of HDMI. I've never been able to get HDMI to work well in macOS.

The Fenvi card should be plug-n-play. Is it a PCI-e card? If yes, you will need to edit the USBPorts.kext to get Bluetooth working.

I'll give it a try and report my progress.

Yes the fenvi is a pcie card. What should I be looking for when editing the USB Ports kext?

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'll give it a try and report my progress.

Yes the fenvi is a pcie card. What should I be looking for when editing the USB Ports kext?

Please see this post.

That's assuming that you will be plugging the Bluetooth cable from the Fenvi card to the HS13 port on the motherboard.

Please see @snoopy69 post to find out which port your Fenvi card will be using.

Motherboard
ASUS ROG Z370-G
CPU
Graphics
RX580 MSI
Nice!

Open your config.plist with a plist editor and navigate to config.plist > Kernel > Add > and look for WhateverGreen and make sure it is set to be enabled. This should get your HDMI ports working. However, if at all possible, try to use DisplayPort instead of HDMI. I've never been able to get HDMI to work well in macOS.

The Fenvi card should be plug-n-play. Is it a PCI-e card? If yes, you will need to edit the USBPorts.kext to get Bluetooth working.

I've check the config plist and whatever green is enabled. Resettled the nvram and now hdmi is working flawlessly

Please see this post.

That's assuming that you will be plugging the Bluetooth cable from the Fenvi card to the HS13 port on the motherboard.

Please see @snoopy69 post to find out which port your Fenvi card will be using.

Thanks I'll look into it once I get the card installed. Appreciate all your help!

Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8086K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@pastrychef
Ok; I can boot from SSD, but only when I remove the Microsoft folder.
but then OpenCore doesn't 'see' the Windows 10 option.
Two questions:
* How can I fix this?
* How / where do I enter in OpenCore my preferd bootpartition (Mojave)
Thanks again!

Last edited:

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@pastrychef
Ok; I can boot from SSD, but only when I remove the Microsoft folder.
but then OpenCore doesn't 'see' the Windows 10 option.
Two questions:
* How can I fix this?
* How / where do I enter in OpenCore my preferd bootpartition (Mojave)
Thanks again!

I don't know why OpenCore doesn't see your Windows drive.

If Windows is messing with your EFI folder, you can make the following changes to config.plist:
config.plist > Misc > Security > BootProtect > Bootstrap
config.plist > UEFI > Quirks > RequestBootVarRouting > Yes

You select your default boot partition from System Preferences > Startup Disk.

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
No. That's an older method of port mapping that I stopped using.
Oh, ok. Thanks so much, then I am stuck...
I've been having strange issues in the last couple OS Catalina Versions, it seems to be HW decoding related:
Twitch streams take an insane amount of CPU usage, 50% for two tabs.
Latest version of VLC sometimes stops working and displays only a green screen and audio, older versions seem to work, the issue came and goes..
Brave Browser sometimes doesn't render anything, windows stay blank for a few minutes, then return to normal.

MacX says HW decoding is enabled.
I never had any of these problems before but I also recently changed to sys def to iMac19,1 as it's the Coffee Lake OpenCore recommendation for Desktops. I know there's a post somewhere you specify which sys defs cause particular problems but I've searched but can't find it. Sorry to bother you. welp?

Attached config in case i might have messed something up, serial removed.

Attachments

• config.plist
    32.2 KB · Views: 44

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Oh, ok. Thanks so much, then I am stuck...
I've been having strange issues in the last couple OS Catalina Versions, it seems to be HW decoding related:
Twitch streams take an insane amount of CPU usage, 50% for two tabs.
Latest version of VLC sometimes stops working and displays only a green screen and audio, older versions seem to work, the issue came and goes..
Brave Browser sometimes doesn't render anything, windows stay blank for a few minutes, then return to normal.

MacX says HW decoding is enabled.
I never had any of these problems before but I also recently changed to sys def to iMac19,1 as it's the Coffee Lake OpenCore recommendation for Desktops. I know there's a post somewhere you specify which sys defs cause particular problems but I've searched but can't find it. Sorry to bother you. welp?

Attached config in case i might have messed something up, serial removed.

Do you have IGPU enabled in BIOS? It sounds like IGPU is not configured correctly.

Put some jpeg files and some mp4 videos on your desktop. Highlight them and press the space bar. What happens?

If you want to avoid setting up IGPU, just use iMacPro1,1. It makes for a much easier setup.

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Put some jpeg files and some mp4 videos on your desktop. Highlight them and press the space bar. What happens?
Quick look works fine for images and videos.

Do you have IGPU enabled in BIOS? It sounds like IGPU is not configured correctly.
Yes, i think so.
The primary display is PCIE.
IGPU multi-Monitor is enabled.
RC(6) render standby was disabled, I changed it to 'Auto' as I don't have an 'Enabled' option.
DVMT was set to 256mb but I changed it to 128mb as recommended in your guide.
Changes made no difference.

If you want to avoid setting up IGPU, just use iMacPro1,1. It makes for a much easier setup.
I am under the impression that iGPU ON helps with video editing tho, is that correct? If so, that would be a last resort.

Last edited: