Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

If you are not using iMac17,1 system definition, you can probably get away with removing NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext. It does help in some instances where users have multi-monitor setups.

Others have indicated that mouse lag might be related to HDCP. If possible, you can try using a different connection to connect your monitor, i.e. switch from using HDMI to DisplayPort or vice versa.

I think I just fixed it, it was a problem with my config.plist, I had the shiki flag from your EFI twice and had the matchOS Nvidia thing enabled (you have it disabled)

Thanks for everything man, even though I'm on Kaby Lake I followed this guide with some slight variations and have a perfectly running 7700k Hackintosh, keep up the great work!

@pastrychef I have ordered three new cards: Red Devil Vega 64, Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 and Sapphire Pulse RX 580. Red Devil one is huge, hot and loud and causes mouse cursor stutter, but it's really fast. Sapphire Vega 56 is bit smaller, bit slower, bit quieter (but still have issues with fans spinning up and never going down, without kexts and patches) and cause mouse stutter. Sapphire Pulse RX 580 is smallest one, quite slower than previous two, still bit loud but doesn't cause any mouse stutter. I'm quite desperate to determine what causes the mouse lag on Vega cards, as I would like to keep the 56 one or 64 one, if the fans can be tamed. Would you have any idea for things to check, plist settings, OS settings, really anything, to get rid of that stutter?

@pastrychef I have ordered three new cards: Red Devil Vega 64, Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 and Sapphire Pulse RX 580. Red Devil one is huge, hot and loud and causes mouse cursor stutter, but it's really fast. Sapphire Vega 56 is bit smaller, bit slower, bit quieter (but still have issues with fans spinning up and never going down, without kexts and patches) and cause mouse stutter. Sapphire Pulse RX 580 is smallest one, quite slower than previous two, still bit loud but doesn't cause any mouse stutter. I'm quite desperate to determine what causes the mouse lag on Vega cards, as I would like to keep the 56 one or 64 one, if the fans can be tamed. Would you have any idea for things to check, plist settings, OS settings, really anything, to get rid of that stutter?

Do you have a wireless mouse? If so did you try one with a cord.. something with the macOS WiFi and wireless mouses cause choppy movement even on real Mac.. Maybe it is unrelated but maybe it isn’t.

The only way I know to rein in the fans is with the method detailed in the following thread:
https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/325120-vega-frontier-edition-on-high-sierra/?page=6

I have been using one of the kexts from that thread for several weeks now and it has been working perfectly with my MSI Vega 56 Air Boost. When the card is pushed, the fan will still ramp up and be noisy, but when not stressed, the fan is inaudible by me. In light gaming, the fan ramps up a little but the noise is drowned out by the sounds from games. I don't know how well the fix will work with non-reference coolers though...

As stated, I use an MSI Vega 56 Air Boost. I've also done two builds for friends using a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 in one and the same MSI Vega as mine for the other. None of these have experienced any sort of mouse stutter. Both of them use Magic Trackpad 2s and I use a Magic Mouse 2.

I have read of a few others who have experienced this mouse lag. I never saw any definitive solutions, only theories and speculation. It appears that it may be related to HDCP. Try checking console logs to see if it has any mention of HDCP. Different monitors and/or different connector types may fix it. Shiki.kext may also help.

So, to summarize:
  • Try the solution in the above link to correct the fan behavior. It works great for me.
  • I have never experienced the mouse lag issue nor can I reproduce it, so I can only relay what I've read from others.

Last edited:
It appears that it may be related to HDCP. Try checking console logs to see if it has any mention of HDCP. Different monitors and/or different connector types may fix it. Shiki.kext may also help.

Seems like this is the answer to a lot of problems... I put the Vega card back in but decided to use the HDMI and 1DP since they work without whatevergreen/vegafixup and the Hard Freezes seem to have stop at least for the 12/hrs I was working yesterday.

The only way I know to rein in the fans is with the method detailed in the following thread:
https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/325120-vega-frontier-edition-on-high-sierra/?page=6

I have been using one of the kexts from that thread for several weeks now and it has been working perfectly with my MSI Vega 56 Air Boost. When the card is pushed, the fan will still ramp up and be noisy, but when not stressed, the fan is inaudible by me. In light gaming, the fan ramps up a little but the noise is drowned out by the sounds from games. I don't know how well the fix will work with non-reference coolers though...

As stated, I use an MSI Vega 56 Air Boost. I've also done two builds for friends using a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 in one and the same MSI Vega as mine for the other. None of these have experienced any sort of mouse stutter. Both of them use Magic Trackpad 2s and I use a Magic Mouse 2.

I have read of a few others who have experienced this mouse lag. I never saw any definitive solutions, only theories and speculation. It appears that it may be related to HDCP. Try checking console logs to see if it has any mention of HDCP. Different monitors and/or different connector types may fix it. Shiki.kext may also help.

So, to summarize:
  • Try the solution in the above link to correct the fan behavior. It works great for me.
  • I have never experienced the mouse lag issue nor can I reproduce it, so I can only relay what I've read from others.
@pastrychef Bingo! My console log is swarmed with constant flow of logs looking like that:
Code:
default    21:38:31.917519 +0100    kernel    AMD Error:
default    21:38:31.917524 +0100    kernel    Failed HDCP: status 4
Now, how do I get to know what it means and how to fix that?

@pastrychef Bingo! My console log is swarmed with constant flow of logs looking like that:
Code:
default    21:38:31.917519 +0100    kernel    AMD Error:
default    21:38:31.917524 +0100    kernel    Failed HDCP: status 4
Now, how do I get to know what it means and how to fix that?

Try a different monitor and/or different cable. Try connecting to a TV just for testing if you don't have another monitor available.

Try a different monitor and/or different cable. Try connecting to a TV just for testing if you don't have another monitor available.
I have only other monitor available now (other than my two Dell's 4k P2718Q) and I've just tried it with DP cable and... the problem isn't visible there, I think.
I have tried HDMI cable to one of my Dells but the output seems to be @30Khz so obviously it stutters as hell. Any way to force 60Hz via HDMI? The monitor should be DP 1.2 and HDMI 2.0 capable. I don't have other DP cables to try now, but I will order some and report back on that too, as soon as I get them.

I have only other monitor available now (other than my two Dell's 4k P2718Q) and I've just tried it with DP cable and... the problem isn't visible there, I think.
I have tried HDMI cable to one of my Dells but the output seems to be @30Khz so obviously it stutters as hell. Any way to force 60Hz via HDMI? The monitor should be DP 1.2 and HDMI 2.0 capable. I don't have other DP cables to try now, but I will order some and report back on that too, as soon as I get them.

I don't know of any reliable ways to force 60Hz. I believe some have used DisplayPort to HDMI adaptors with some success... I've never tried.

Remember to check your monitors' settings to see if there is any option to enable HDCP.

Back