Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Agh.

Now my 4360CS2 wifi/bt card is having a problem. Wifi is off, and in the GUI I cannot turn it on. But in SystemReport/Wifi, the Broadcom (Airport Extreme (0x14E4, 0x117)) is present. It's seen as a Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.77.37.31.1a9).

1. I noticed this after booting into MacOS from poweroff.
2. No BIOS updates were done recently; no OS changes or other 'significant' change.
3. Realizing wifi didn't work, I also saw that bt worked great.
4. Testing same in Windows in 3...2..1.....
5. I then flashed to the latest BIOS (Z370-I, we're talking about here...) 0805
6. I found a guide on 'If this happens in MacOS' and deleted 5 plist files - rebooted - no change.
7. The 4360CS2 is in the M2 slot on the motherboard. I then disabled wifi/bt, booted into MacOS and saw neither worked, then re-enabled both in the BIOS, and bt was back, but still no wifi....

Same problem (kinda) in Windows - I can enable and disable the (wifi side of the) card as much as I want, but no wifi networks are found. I'm assuming I hit one of the tiny antenna connections when I added a recent case fan (to that same area...sigh).

:(

That shouldn't be too loud, but if I was to get the Strix Vega 64 then from what I research the fan are running pretty loud?
I'm not familiar with Vega cards with the whole DeInit etc but would want to minimise any kexts / patches needed
The 1080Ti would be used by my friend

If you do something that really stresses the GPU and the fan ramps up to 75% or higher, it's very loud. At about 50%, the fan is audible but not loud. At about 17-18%, I can't hear the fan. When I stress test the GPU with benchmarks, the fan can get up to about 80%. This is after replacing the stock thermal compound with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal. Details are here.

Since macOS 10.134, I have not needed Radeon DeInit or WhateverGreen.kext. I think WhateverGreen.kext is needed by some people who have multi-monitor setups. I only have a single monitor.

Agh.

Now my 4360CS2 wifi/bt card is having a problem. Wifi is off, and in the GUI I cannot turn it on. But in SystemReport/Wifi, the Broadcom (Airport Extreme (0x14E4, 0x117)) is present. It's seen as a Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.77.37.31.1a9).

1. I noticed this after booting into MacOS from poweroff.
2. No BIOS updates were done recently; no OS changes or other 'significant' change.
3. Realizing wifi didn't work, I also saw that bt worked great.
4. Testing same in Windows in 3...2..1.....
5. I then flashed to the latest BIOS (Z370-I, we're talking about here...) 0805
6. I found a guide on 'If this happens in MacOS' and deleted 5 plist files - rebooted - no change.
7. The 4360CS2 is in the M2 slot on the motherboard. I then disabled wifi/bt, booted into MacOS and saw neither worked, then re-enabled both in the BIOS, and bt was back, but still no wifi....

Same problem (kinda) in Windows - I can enable and disable the (wifi side of the) card as much as I want, but no wifi networks are found. I'm assuming I hit one of the tiny antenna connections when I added a recent case fan (to that same area...sigh).

:(

When you say you can't turn on Wi-Fi, do you mean that you can't turn it on from:
Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 6.09.19 AM copy.png
Which kexts did you delete??

You have to be careful with rear case fan. With my case, a Silverstone KL06, I had to cut off a bit of the rear case fan for it to fit over the BCM94360CS2.

hello pastryshef!

Would you recommend using system definition imacpro1,1 over imac18, since i am using an vega 64? Because imac pro is using vega, supposedly it will work better?

Thanks!

@pastrychef

Have another (small) problem...
My HackMac seems to reboot in the sleep, so the next wake up is like a normal boot etc.

Any ideas ?

hello pastryshef!

Would you recommend using system definition imacpro1,1 over imac18, since i am using an vega 64? Because imac pro is using vega, supposedly it will work better?

Thanks!

I also read that using iMacPro1,1 is better when you have a Vega installed.
I have tried both iMacPro1,1 and iMac18,3 and both worked fine for me.
I'm currently using iMacPro1,1 with no issues.

@pastrychef

Have another (small) problem...
My HackMac seems to reboot in the sleep, so the next wake up is like a normal boot etc.

Any ideas ?

I recently just went through over a month of uptime and had absolutely no problems with sleep/wake. I only restarted because of the macOS 10.13.5 update, so I know that this setup is very stable and sleep/wake works fine.
Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 2.47.41 PM.png

Did you get any panic reports?
Are you using SSDT-USB.aml? Sleep/wake problems are often related to USB not being set up correctly.
Is your RAM overclocked? Are you overclocked and/or have "sync all cores" set? If yes, your CPU may require a bit more voltage to run stably.
I see that you are using water cooling. Is the pump powered via USB? If yes, you may require USB power property injection. (I have attached a working SSDT-USBX.aml, you can add it to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/.)

Attachments

• ssdt-usbx.aml
    185 bytes · Views: 123
Ok, maybe I´m too stupid...
I thought that whole USB story was kind of optional and I just have to live with the compromise that some USB-Ports doesn't work. But It seem I need to look at that topic !

Thank you.

Back