Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I've not looked into temps much, but in Windows it doesn't crash playing SC2. What's the best way to monitor temps with the RX580 in MacOS? Same tools as what you're posting for the Vega cards?

No OC'ing of the RX580 at all. It's this card: https://us.msi.com/Graphics-card/Radeon-RX-580-ARMOR-MK2-8G-OC.html - I think it ships in gaming mode (1366 boost clock), and one has to change a few settings to change the modes; I haven't and don't plan to do so...

The I7-8700(non-K) has the typical Asus "All-Cores" BIOS setting, but otherwise is unchanged from stock clocks, and temps don't get over 83-85 during Handbrake sessions; SC2 typically only uses 2 cores or so, and so I'd not expect CPU heat to be an issue.

I think that HWMonitor should show temps on an RX 580. I'm not positive... If not, you can try terminal:
Code:
ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan'

SC2 shouldn't be too demanding... Temps shouldn't be a problem... Not sure what could be the cause of the crashes.

I have found Fusion to be much cleaner, more stable, and less intrusive in that the client operating system is more "sandboxed".

Part of the reason that I used parallels was the integration I liked that the one program that I needed to use felt native to OSX.

I think that HWMonitor should show temps on an RX 580. I'm not positive... If not, you can try terminal:
Code:
ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan'

SC2 shouldn't be too demanding... Temps shouldn't be a problem... Not sure what could be the cause of the crashes.

Thanks for that - works perfectly, and I notice iStat Menus also tracks the same GPU chip heat numbers. I get 54c at idle and up to 69c at work (play) on the iStat graph, which matches up with the grep ... command you gave me when I ran it a few times also.

Since throttling on this is 83c+, this shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for that - works perfectly, and I notice iStat Menus also tracks the same GPU chip heat numbers. I get 54c at idle and up to 69c at work (play) on the iStat graph, which matches up with the grep ... command you gave me when I ran it a few times also.

Since throttling on this is 83c+, this shouldn't be an issue.

69C is absolutely fine. In fact, it's very cool under load.

If I could connect remotely to this Mac while the GUI/m/k is frozen, do you have any idea what log(s) I should look at to see the problem?

If I could connect remotely to this Mac while the GUI/m/k is frozen, do you have any idea what log(s) I should look at to see the problem?

No. I don't know what to look for.

Stop being a tease... I'm on the verge of getting a Vega for the peace of mind.
The only one available for a reasonable price is the Asus Vega 64 Strix OC, can anyone confirm this card works OOB without any kexts etc? Also how are the fans? I want my system to be silent, currently my 1080Ti fans only spin up after 55c otherwise they're turned off...

Speaking on another topic, the BCM943602CS I ordered arrived and it concludes my hypothesis that any wifi card used in the PCIE slot will experience slow wifi after sleep with "Wake on Network access" enabled. Now I'm waiting on my adapter so I can swap it into my wifi M.2 as apparently this is the only solution.

I find it super weird that this happens only with "wake on ethernet access" enabled.

Stop being a tease... I'm on the verge of getting a Vega for the peace of mind.
The only one available for a reasonable price is the Asus Vega 64 Strix OC, can anyone confirm this card works OOB without any kexts etc? Also how are the fans? I want my system to be silent, currently my 1080Ti fans only spin up after 55c otherwise they're turned off...

Speaking on another topic, the BCM943602CS I ordered arrived and it concludes my hypothesis that any wifi card used in the PCIE slot will experience slow wifi after sleep with "Wake on Network access" enabled. Now I'm waiting on my adapter so I can swap it into my wifi M.2 as apparently this is the only solution.

I find it super weird that this happens only with "wake on ethernet access" enabled.

Lol

On my MSI Vega 56 Air Boost, the fan stays around 17-18% at idle. At this level I can't hear it. I only start hearing it faintly when it reaches about 50%. This card is very close to reference and uses a blower style cooler. I don't know how custom open style fans behave. During light gaming (simple games that aren't very demanding at all such as Jydge and SteamWorld Dig 2) the fans remain silent to my ears.

As far as I can remember, the fan on my old GTX 1080 also spun at low RPMs at idle. Again, I used a card with blower style cooler.

Since Nvidia seems to have fixed the UI lag issues, you may want to wait for if/when the Nvidia drivers become buggy again before making another purchase. If you do decided to make the switch, be careful of Vega cards with custom coolers. I noticed that a lot of them are triple slot and would block the adjacent PCI-e x8 slot. This is particularly important on an mATX motherboard.

I've never heard of the Wi-Fi slowing down when it resides in a PCI-e slot. I had a PCI-e solution in my previous build but I used ethernet for network and internet. I really just used the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth for the Bluetooth part of it.

Lol

On my MSI Vega 56 Air Boost, the fan stays around 17-18% at idle. At this level I can't hear it. I only start hearing it faintly when it reaches about 50%. This card is very close to reference and uses a blower style cooler. I don't know how custom open style fans behave. During light gaming (simple games that aren't very demanding at all such as Jydge and SteamWorld Dig 2) the fans remain silent to my ears.

As far as I can remember, the fan on my old GTX 1080 also spun at low RPMs at idle. Again, I used a card with blower style cooler.

Since Nvidia seems to have fixed the UI lag issues, you may want to wait for if/when the Nvidia drivers become buggy again before making another purchase. If you do decided to make the switch, be careful of Vega cards with custom coolers. I noticed that a lot of them are triple slot and would block the adjacent PCI-e x8 slot. This is particularly important on an mATX motherboard.

I've never heard of the Wi-Fi slowing down when it resides in a PCI-e slot. I had a PCI-e solution in my previous build but I used ethernet for network and internet. I really just used the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth for the Bluetooth part of it.
That shouldn't be too loud, but if I was to get the Strix Vega 64 then from what I research the fan are running pretty loud?
I'm not familiar with Vega cards with the whole DeInit etc but would want to minimise any kexts / patches needed
The 1080Ti would be used by my friend

Back