Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I just installed the BCM94360CS2 and bluetooth shows up but not wifi. Also in bluetooth it says that handoff is not supported.

Any ideas?

I just installed the BCM94360CS2 and bluetooth shows up but not wifi. Also in bluetooth it says that handoff is not supported.

Any ideas?

How is it installed? M.2 slot? PCI-e slot? Did you set up your serial, board serial, and UUID?

How is it installed? M.2 slot? PCI-e slot? Did you set up your serial, board serial, and UUID?

M.2 slot. I used the same technique as you. Serial etc is working as I have iMessage etc working.

I'm going to check to see if there are any rogue kexts for wifi etc in there.

EDIT: I have checked DPCIManager and the card doesn't show in the PCI list, should it?

EDIT2: I have ordered a new adapter to see if that is the problem. If that doesn't work I'll order a new card.

In the meantime, if you have any ideas then I'm all ears!

Last edited:
Yes, I have power nap and wake-on-LAN enabled.

I think by "default" he means the Clover default.
I appreciate your reply :)
I'm trying to figure out why your build wakes up the screen with just 'darkwake'.
I think it could either be the fact your using the connectorless HD630 iGPU or that your using a Vega 56 GPU, or from the iMac 18,3 SMBios.

Probably an ACPI thing, does the power button wake the system fully? BTW darkwake flags in current XNU are here:
Code:
// gDarkWakeFlags
enum {
    kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleEarly      = 0x01, // hid tickle before gfx suppression
    kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleLate       = 0x02, // hid tickle after gfx suppression
    kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleNone       = 0x03, // hid tickle is not posted
    kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleMask       = 0x03,
    kDarkWakeFlagAlarmIsDark         = 0x0100,
    kDarkWakeFlagGraphicsPowerState1 = 0x0200,
    kDarkWakeFlagAudioNotSuppressed  = 0x0400
};
https://opensource.apple.com/source/xnu/xnu-4570.41.2/iokit/Kernel/IOPMrootDomain.cpp.auto.html

1st bit set, 2nd bit unset = tickle early
2nd bit set, 1st bit unset = tickle late
1st + 2nd bit set = no hid tickle
9th, 10th, 11th bits enable the feature when set (9th=alarm is dark, 10th=graphics power state 1, 11th=audio not suppressed)
Thank you for finding this, I appreciate it
Although I wouldn't have a clue what 'Tickle' does, it will give me darkwake flags to test.

With just the 'darkwake' flag, my system wakes from sleep presumably only without the monitor? If I do nothing the system will go back to sleep. Although, I just left the machine alone for a few hours with 'darkwake' and noticed no Time Machine backups being done, suggesting the system didn't wake up for 'Power Naps'. Although the system was still asleep when I got back to it.

The previous night I tested with the 'darkwake=0' flag, the system wakes up for 'Power Nap' every hour or so and completes a Time Machine backup in that time, however after a few hours I notice in the "pmset -g log" logs 'Notification Display is turned on'. I didn't press anything!!
From this period onwards the computer isn't asleep as all the LEDs are on, Fans etc with just the display off until I press a button and wake it up. I also notice in this time being awake, no Time Machine backups are completed.

I will test 'darkwake=1' flag tonight and see what happens.

Is it just a matter of testing and finding out which flag works best or is there any calculated logic behind it? How would one determine which value to use for their system?

M.2 slot. I used the same technique as you. Serial etc is working as I have iMessage etc working.

I'm going to check to see if there are any rogue kexts for wifi etc in there.

EDIT: I have checked DPCIManager and the card doesn't show in the PCI list, should it?

EDIT2: I have ordered a new adapter to see if that is the problem. If that doesn't work I'll order a new card.

In the meantime, if you have any ideas then I'm all ears!

If it's not showing up in DPCIManager, I have to assume there's a problem with the card or adaptor. It was very much plug-n-play for me. The whole idea of using a OEM Apple card is so that it works OOB.

I appreciate your reply :)
I'm trying to figure out why your build wakes up the screen with just 'darkwake'.
I think it could either be the fact your using the connectorless HD630 iGPU or that your using a Vega 56 GPU, or from the iMac 18,3 SMBios.

Wake worked the same way when I had a GTX 1080 and when I used iMacPro1,1 system definition.

Although I wouldn't have a clue what 'Tickle' does, it will give me darkwake flags to test.
Presumably HID tickle triggers a 'user is active' assertion like this one i obtained from the output of 'pmset -g assertions':
pid 124(hidd): [0x000084c60009898b] 00:00:00 UserIsActive named: "com.apple.iohideventsystem.queue.tickle.4294968018.3"
Timeout will fire in 3300 secs Action=TimeoutActionRelease
3300 seconds = 55 minutes which is the same number i have in Energy Saver Preferences for 'Turn display off after...'

So with darkwake=1 or darkwake=2 the machine probably stays awake for a minimum length of time related to that setting, rather than a minimum length of time from somewhere else (or going back to sleep ASAP after maintenance activities). The default in that source code is no tickle, but Apple firmware may be providing (possibly various) arguments at boot deterministically.

Is it just a matter of testing and finding out which flag works best or is there any calculated logic behind it? How would one determine which value to use for their system?
Default powernap features should work with the default flags (no boot argument) waking for a short time once an hour. Without the tickle setting - if the machine isn't waking by USB properly it might be ACPI/DSDT related. 'pmset -g log' should give some wake information from the PWRB vs XHC events.

Last edited:
I have started to see this on boot

"gAppleKeyMapDatabaseProtocolGuid is unavailable 14
AmiShim installation failed 14"

It doesn't seem to affect anything, any ideas?

Also, I have noticed that I do not have audio after I wake. Seems to work if I use one of the "line out"s but not when I use the "internal speakers" output.

Presumably HID tickle triggers a 'user is active' assertion like this one i obtained from the output of 'pmset -g assertions':
3300 seconds = 55 minutes which is the same number i have in Energy Saver Preferences for 'Turn display off after...'

So with darkwake=1 or darkwake=2 the machine probably stays awake for a minimum length of time related to that setting, rather than a minimum length of time from somewhere else (or going back to sleep ASAP after maintenance activities). The default in that source code is no tickle, but Apple firmware may be providing (possibly various) arguments at boot deterministically.

Default powernap features should work with the default flags (no boot argument) waking for a short time once an hour. Without the tickle setting - if the machine isn't waking by USB properly it might be ACPI/DSDT related. 'pmset -g log' should give some wake information from the PWRB vs XHC events.
Alright so I've been doing some testing and with the flag 'darkwake' the system doesn't seem to be doing Time Machine backups during the day, I cannot verify that the system has been waking up for Power Naps either. So from what I understand, the ideal darkwake flag is simply 'darkwake' or?

I still have to press the keyboard once to wakeup system, then another time to wakeup monitor.
Do you have any ideas what I could look into?

Interesting I examined the logs and found this after the initial key press to wakeup computer:
"2018-04-27 23:48:43 +1000 DarkWake DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDNPB] due to XHCI GBE1/Network: Using AC (Charge:0%) 11 secs"

Then this after second keypress to wake monitor:
"2018-04-27 23:48:54 +1000 Wake DarkWake to FullWake from Normal Sleep [CDNVA] due to HID Activity: Using AC (Charge:0%)"

If I press the Power button the system wakes up normally.
2018-04-28 00:05:40 +1000 Wake Wake from Normal Sleep [CDNVA] due to PWRB/User: Using AC (Charge:0%)

How do you wakeup your computer from sleep @pastrychef , with the power button or by pressing a key on the keyboard/mouse? Also, I noticed you use the same AQC107 card as me, only mine being the Asus branded "ROG AREION 10G", do you have both the i219 and AQC107 or just the AQC107 enabled?

Also I noticed you don't use any SSDT for USBX and USB power management for XHCI?

Things I'm going to try:
-Implement only 15 USB ports and use uia_exclude to exclude the unused ports to avoid using the port limit patch to see if system will complete TM backups during Power Nap, will also check dark wake count via 'pmset -g stats' to see if darkwake is happening.
-Disable 'Wake for ethernet access' to see if the system will complete TM backups during Power Nap

Last edited:
Back