Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Intel QSV is working on my system either in standalone or with my Nvidia (shikigva=56), but I want to use the dedicated GPU to do video acceleration for better performance. Nvidia is not supported natively, but may be working for encoding in Adobe with a little hack. I am just wondering if Radeon/OpenCL accelerate video natively with iGPU disabled, since eGPU is supported in 10.13.4. If AMD cards work natively it would be a good reason to switch.

Again, it really depends on the app. For example, it's clear that FCPX uses AMD for encoding, but QuickTime uses Intel for HEVC.

Certainly uia_exclude USR is a better idea.
I created SSDT-USB for my mb. Just want to make USB-C behave normally at wake up so I can use the front panel USB-C port with hard drive. The other post's SSDT renames PCI0.RP05.PXSX -> PCI0.RP05.XHC3. I am not sure if it helps.

You don't need an SSDT to do that rename. You can do it in config.plist. But I don't know if it's needed. Is your USB-C part of the Intel chipset or part of the ASMedia USB 3.1 gen 2? On my motherboard, the USB 3.1 gen 2 works without having to do anything, it just works.

Question - I'm running @pastrychef's EFI and my model is set to iMac18,3, which macOS says is the 27" 5K Retina iMac. I'm noticing some applications, when they would otherwise be using the entire CPU on any other computer, are using 800%, which would be equivalent to the four cores + four hyper-threading cores in the 5K iMac. Is it possible that some apps are reading some information provided by macOS that is based on the configurations of those Mac models, and therefore only scheduling eight threads instead of 12 on the 8770K?

Question - I'm running @pastrychef's EFI and my model is set to iMac18,3, which macOS says is the 27" 5K Retina iMac. I'm noticing some applications, when they would otherwise be using the entire CPU on any other computer, are using 800%, which would be equivalent to the four cores + four hyper-threading cores in the 5K iMac. Is it possible that some apps are reading some information provided by macOS that is based on the configurations of those Mac models, and therefore only scheduling eight threads instead of 12 on the 8770K?

What apps do this?

Can you try with just IGPU?

Still no luck. Tried switching on RadeonDeInit as suggested by this guide, but no change. Going to try resetting the BIOS and starting from scratch… though I thought I just did that this morning.

:think:

Just out of curiosity since you use the 'darkwake' flag, do you need to press the mouse / keyboard button twice to wake the system up from sleep? I find that when using 'darkwake' I have to press / click twice instead of when 'darkwake=0' whereby the system wakes from sleep after one click.

With just the 'darkwake' flag after one press, the system wakes from sleep but the display is off, then another press will wakeup the display.

However, if I press the power button while the system is sleeping, the computer wakes up and the display is on

I know we have different systems but do you know the difference of using 'darkwake', 'darkwake=0' or 'darkwake=1'? and how I should know which one is best for my system?

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity since you use the 'darkwake' flag, do you need to press the mouse / keyboard button twice to wake the system up from sleep? I find that when using 'darkwake' I have to press / click twice instead of when 'darkwake=0' whereby the system wakes from sleep after one click.

I know we have different systems but do you know the difference of using 'darkwake', 'darkwake=0' or 'darkwake=1'?

No. I don't have to press keyboard or mouse button twice.

Here is the best info I've been able to find on Darkwake:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/darkwake-deciphered.236850/

Hmmm that is interesting, and you have power nap and wake on ethernet enabled?

Thanks for the link thats the best explanation I've read so far too

So the default setting on a Mac according to that link is darkwake=3?

Yes, I have power nap and wake-on-LAN enabled.

I think by "default" he means the Clover default.

BUT...
I was stumped when the 15 port limit patch wasn't working - I had no USB3/3.1, only USB 2.0. I came to discover that since 10.13.4 (and I only came upon this after reading rehabman's source config.plist that lists all the patches) there is a different 15 port limit kext patch for 10.13.4.

I didn't go back very far in the thread to check if it's been mentioned and if it has already, I apologize. For all those not using this exact motherboard and need to create your own SSDT-USB and who are on 10.13.4+, the patch you need in your config.plist looks like this (source: RehabMan):

Code:
<dict>
               <key>Comment</key>
               <string>change 15 port limit to 26 in XHCI kext (credit FredWst)</string>
               <key>MatchOS</key>
               <string>10.13.4</string>
               <key>Name</key>
               <string>com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI</string>
               <key>Find</key>
               <data>g32UDw+DlwQ=</data>
               <key>Replace</key>
               <data>g32UGg+DlwQ=</data>
           </dict>

or for Clover Configurator:

Name:
com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI
Find:
837D940F 0F839704
Replace:
837D941A 0F839704
Comment: change 15 port limit to 26 in XHCI kext (credit FredWst)
MatchOS:

That's it! Hope it helps someone... Again, thank you pastrychef!

Well, this could be the reason why I am not able to see any SuperSpeed (SS**) ports under my XHC. And maybe my guess is right that my current patch is not working as I'm only able to see HS01-HS14. Excited to go home and try this patch.
Thanks @onmybikedrunk for sahring this.

With just the 'darkwake' flag after one press, the system wakes from sleep but the display is off, then another press will wakeup the display.
Probably an ACPI thing, does the power button wake the system fully? BTW darkwake flags in current XNU are here:
Code:
// gDarkWakeFlags
enum {
    kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleEarly      = 0x01, // hid tickle before gfx suppression
    kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleLate       = 0x02, // hid tickle after gfx suppression
    kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleNone       = 0x03, // hid tickle is not posted
    kDarkWakeFlagHIDTickleMask       = 0x03,
    kDarkWakeFlagAlarmIsDark         = 0x0100,
    kDarkWakeFlagGraphicsPowerState1 = 0x0200,
    kDarkWakeFlagAudioNotSuppressed  = 0x0400
};
https://opensource.apple.com/source/xnu/xnu-4570.41.2/iokit/Kernel/IOPMrootDomain.cpp.auto.html

1st bit set, 2nd bit unset = tickle early
2nd bit set, 1st bit unset = tickle late
1st + 2nd bit set = no hid tickle
9th, 10th, 11th bits enable the feature when set (9th=alarm is dark, 10th=graphics power state 1, 11th=audio not suppressed)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 12.06.12.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 12.06.12.png
    20 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Back