Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Whats up guys, first post here, I've done a ton of reading through threads on threads on threads and only have scratched the surface. In particular this thread (first page mainly) has been re-read a ton of times, I'm in the process of choosing parts and close to pulling the trigger on setting up a graphic/motion design hackintosh rig. @pastrychef you Legend!

Anyway,

Firstly, the ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) although not recommended CustoMac mobo section will it work in place of the Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) in this guide?

Secondly, if so I wanted to confirm if the wifi M.2 hack (#40) will work on it?

Thanks for the amazing work guys you're all legends! Its unreal the amount of information available on here!
My system build, MyHero II, is the same motherboard without the WiFi. Since the HERO X with the WiFi doesn't work, I chose the HERO X without the WiFi and added a compatible WiFi/BT PCIe card. See my build description (link in my signature block).

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes, my EFI folders should work with the Maximus X Hero. The only thing that will not work is the SSDT for USB. You will have to create your own. SSDT for USB is motherboard specific.

Yes, the same procedure for swapping Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card will work.

Here is another thread from a Maximus X Hero user. He had some difficulties with getting his drives seen and I think the solution was in post #130. It's worth reading through so you don't make the same mistake. Essentially, he came across PCI lanes limitations and his SSDs were both using shared lanes.

I'm still very much an noob and learning new things everyday. The real legends are guys like RehabMan and all the devs who develop Clover, kexts, etc for all our benefits.

Funny enough I came across that thread which got me to write my first post...

Yeah that was a little pain of a trouble shoot, too many cooks type of thing lol but was shocked at the amount of help...this community is great

I guess I got to do my SSDT homework and try my best to dodge the errors @B3nj4m1n faced

Again I’m new here and if your a noob with a golden build then I guess I’m in good company thanks for the direction

My system build, MyHero II, is the same motherboard without the WiFi. Since the HERO X with the WiFi doesn't work, I chose the HERO X without the WiFi and added a compatible WiFi/BT PCIe card. See my build description (link in my signature block).

Your guide too was somthing I read a number of times, I’ll swing round a pic your brain and try not to drown you with noob questions :thumbup:

Thank you for your guide! I have been able to build a hackintosh with minimal effort and it has been working great!
I am using the same motherboard with 8700k cpu.

However I have a little problem with my audio. The audio quality is not that good and I sometimes hear crackling sound. Is there a fix for it?

Thanks

Thank you for your guide! I have been able to build a hackintosh with minimal effort and it has been working great!
I am using the same motherboard with 8700k cpu.

However I have a little problem with my audio. The audio quality is not that good and I sometimes hear crackling sound. Is there a fix for it?

Thanks

Crackling?? I've never heard crackling from the ALC1220. Are you using the one of the r3.1 EFI folders? Are you using the green connector in the rear? Is it firmly plugged in?

The sound quality for me has been excellent and better than any other computer I've ever had.

You just made me listen to Fool For You by Alice Smith to make sure I'm not crazy. I hope my neighbors don't come complaining....

Btw, I am using an Ion Anyroom speaker that I found a while back for $17 that put my old Bose Sounddock Series III to absolute shame. Just goes to show, price isn't always an indicator of quality...

You just made me listen to Fool For You by Alice Smith to make sure I'm not crazy. I hope my neighbors don't come complaining....

Btw, I am using an Ion Anyroom speaker that I found a while back for $17 that put my old Bose Sounddock Series III to absolute shame. Just goes to show, price isn't always an indicator of quality...

OK. I just swapped out my 3.5mm audio wire. Seems like it's my wire problem, sorry about that.
Anyways, this hackintosh has been amazing and I really appreciate everything you have done!
Can't really be happier!

Hi.

Yes, ideally, you want to see all 26 ports so that you can map them out. But, I think we can try and cheat a little...

View attachment 326790

If you look at my USB ports, you can see that the Super Speed (aka USB3) port numbers correspond identically to the High Speed (aka USB2) ports. It was exactly the same situation when I mapped out the ports on my previous build. Therefore, I think we can cheat and just assume that the SS port numbers will be the same as the HS port numbers.

This should allow you to make your SSDT.

Maybe I did something wrong, but on my Z370M-iTX/AC the USB2 port and USB3 port numbers do not coincide

Hi Everyone, I just rebooted my computer on 10.13.4 and suddenly none of the USB ports are working. The keyboard and mouse are working, but any connected USBs or External Hard Drives aren't working. Can you help?

BTW, I haven't mapped out my USB ports yet.

I guess I'm just going to map my USB ports and see what happends...

Last edited:
Back