Contribute
Register

pastrychef's $62 Dell OptiPlex 3050 Clunker - i3-6100 - RX 560

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cash for Clunkers ? Wasn't that a gov't program back in 2008 or 09 ?

For those of you who will be installing Wi-Fi/Bluetooth cards and are wondering where to plug the USB header to get Bluetooth working, it should be plugged to the header pins right near the CMOS battery.

I finally had time to update to macOS 10.14.4. Just update to latest Clover and Lilu/AppleALC/WhateverGreen before update and all should be fine. A few restarts and about 17 minutes later...

Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 8.08.11 PM.png

@pastrychef, Great work! I may be looking at something like this when my Hp 8300 gets too old. Any estimates on Geek bench if this way the i7 CPU?
Also, would this take a aftermarket PSU?

@pastrychef, Great work! I may be looking at something like this when my Hp 8300 gets too old. Any estimates on Geek bench if this way the i7 CPU?
Also, would this take a aftermarket PSU?

I don't have a compatible i7 for this system so I can't give you any Geekbench results...

The motherboard uses proprietary wiring for the power supply. You'd probably have to do a bit of modding if you want to replace the power supply with a standard ATX power supply...

If you just want to be able to power a better video card, you can try the hack here. I may pick up the parts to mess around with myself...

Updated to macOS 10.14.5 fine. At one point during the update, the screen went black, but I just left the computer alone and allowed it to finish and reboot on its own and all was fine.
Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 7.32.52 PM.png

Does your RX560 stop the fans when not under load (or do you know any versions that do?). Thanks

Does your RX560 stop the fans when not under load (or do you know any versions that do?). Thanks

I honestly don't know if the fans are stopped when idle. I'll have to open up the case and check for you a little later.

I just checked and, yes, the fans on my RX 560 do not spin when idle in macOS. I did not check in Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back