Classic Mac
  1. Color Classic
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, I'm thinking of getting a video card for my Hack. Right now it's just running on Intel HD 4000, but the motherboard doesn't have a DVI-I output so I can't get full res on my monitor (2560x1440). So I'm looking for a video card, it doesn't have to be *that* good, but since I'm buying one anyway I don't mind spending a bit of money. Preferably passive cooling since I don't want to add extra noise.

So, I was looking at the Buyers Guide, but all of the cards I saw had active cooling. Anyone know a good one with passive? There are so many out there, it's hard to see the forest for the trees. Is it true that generally any GeForce card will work?

That looks great! And it has dual-link DVI-D so that should do fine for my 2560x1440 monitor.
Will I need to install additional kexts for this one or will it work out of the box?

That looks great! And it has dual-link DVI-D so that should do fine for my 2560x1440 monitor.
Will I need to install additional kexts for this one or will it work out of the box?

All of the kexts are already in OS X ML. You will need to add GE=No to org.chameleon.boot.plist
(it's in the Extra folder on the root of your hard drive.) The easy way to do it follows:

Just select GraphicsEnabler=No in Multibeast when you run it to install Chimera etc.
On first boot up you'll need to type it in as a boot flag at the TonyMac splash screen, press any key
then type it in with the same capitalization and no spaces. This is only if you're trying to
boot from the HDD with the gfx card installed instead of with HD4000 integrated.

I'd just like to say, thanks for that suggestion, I've got the card and it's working just fine. I changed/added these lines to my /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Code:
        <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
        <string>No</string>
        <key>Graphics Mode</key>
        <string>2560x1440x32</string>

Now even the Apple boot loader shows up in crystal clear full resolution on my 30" monitor. :)

Now all I gotta do is saw a small hole in one of the internal parts of my case, so that I can close it up... those aluminum passive cooling tubes are pretty big.

I'd just like to say, thanks for that suggestion, I've got the card and it's working just fine. I changed/added these lines to my /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Code:
        <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
        <string>No</string>
        <key>Graphics Mode</key>
        <string>2560x1440x32</string>

Now even the Apple boot loader shows up in crystal clear full resolution on my 30" monitor. :)

Now all I gotta do is saw a small hole in one of the internal parts of my case, so that I can close it up... those aluminum passive cooling tubes are pretty big.

Great to hear it's all working smoothly:thumbup: I never saw your PC case listed so just assumed you had
enough clearance for the pipes. Some ITX cases like the Prodigy have lots of room for tall gfx cards. Are
you using something like the recommended Apex case ? Best of luck with making it fit :)

It all worked out fine. Here's how I cut up my case (just that little part on the right next to the DVD-RW):

jFMHM5m.png

More pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/nsT9c

Thanks again for the recommendation, the card's working perfectly fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back