i7 6700K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everyone!

I have just recently upgraded from GTX 970 to Zotac GTX 1080 TI and that's when the problem started.

I've got a somewhat uncommon setup as I have got 4 displays connected to my hack:

1 - ASUS 27" 4K monitor via DP
2 - Samsung 27" 1080p monitor/tv via HDMI
3 - Manta 22" 1050p monitor via DVI
4 - Panasonic 4K tv via HDMI2.0/DP active adapter

The problem is that everytime after wake from sleep the connection to nr. 4 Panasonic 4k TV is lost. It isn't detected anymore as a display.

It sometimes randomly happens after restart too, although most of the time it works fine.

If I try to sleep again, then my hack completely freezes after wake and monitor nr 1 isn't turning on.

Does anyone have any idea for a fix/workaround for this issue?

Spec: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7 6700K, 16GB DDR4, Zotac GTX 1080Ti AMP Extreme
SMBIOS: iMac 14,2

Having the same issue, but with a different (but somehow identical) setup - 3 Lg2788UD Monitors connected via dp2hdmi active adapters.
When goong to sleep, only 2 will wake up and the third stays black. Also going back to sleep and trying to wake up results in a freeze, so i am quite sure we are dealing here with the same issue. Recently switched from a gtx 970 to a 1080TI (Gigabyte Aorus 1080TI Extreme Edition 11G) where everything worked fine. I already tried different darkwake settings in clover (darkwake, darkwake no, darkwake 0, darkwake 8, darkwake 10) - no luck yet. Will try the other oned soon, but dont expect success.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Yup, sounds like exactly the same issue. Also made a switch from 970, starting to regret it a little now

well, not yet regretting it , as the performance boost is quite impressive when gaming in win 10.
I did manage to have some success by using darkwake=no or darkwake=10. These two settings do help minimize the times when only 2 monitors would wake up, id say 6 out of ten times all monitors wake up (and no freezes after sleeping and waking up again). but that is obviously not good enough coming from a perfectly waking machine...already tried flashing the newest bios for the graphics card, using a patched dsdt, a specific ssdt for graphics and audio...well, you get the idea. Also interesting: With the gtx 970 I had HDMI Audio on all 3 monitors (all three would show up under the volume icon, although sometimes there were only two - but after a reboot it was 3 again). Now i have constantly only 2 hdmi outs available, although three monitors are attached. Already tried different port combinations, did not help either.

i am totally clueless. I do suspect the graphics bios on the padcal cards. But i do wonder why there are no more people complaining about it. Maybe it is just to uncommon to have more than 1 or 2 monitors attached....?!

SUCCESS! At least for now :)

All 3 Displays do show up after boot, and all 3 Displays wake up again after sleep. I did not yet test long periods of sleep, thats still to come. I will update when the issue resurfaces.

Heres what i did:

My Setup:
Video Card:

Aorus GTX 1080 TI Xtreme Edition 11G
This Card has 3 DisplayPort-Outputs, 2 HDMI 2.0 Outputs and 1 DVI-Output on the back - and another HDMI Output on the card itself.

Displays:
3 x LG 27UD88 4K/UHD Monitors which each provide 1 x HDMI 2.0 Input and 1 x Displayport Input (and USB-C - which can be ignored):

Displayport 2 HDMI 2.0 Adapter (Club 3D DP2HDMI2.0 4K/60Hz Adapter, Model CAC-1070):
I used 3 of these adapters whith my previous setup (meaning that i recently switched from a GTX 970), connected to DP-OUT on the card and then via HDMI cable to the HDMI 2.0 Input of the monitors. I had to use these adapters because - without them (meaning directly connecting via DP-Cable) my Monitors did not wake up correctly after sleep.

First, I tried using the identical setup i had with my previous gtx 970, meaning LG27-->HDMI-Cable-->DP2HDMI Adapter-->DP-Out of Graphics Card.

This resulted in aforementioned Issues: Displays would sometimes not wake up at all after sleep, but mostly only 2 of them waking up. System was quite unstable.

I then tried all available darkwake settings in clover, having partial success with darkwake = no.
Partial because all 3 Monitors where recognized and woke up - but only if i remotely woke up my hackintosh. Only 2 Monitors woke up when i just pressed a key on the mouse / keyboard.

This is described in Scenario 1 of the attached files (I tried to visualize it a little bit, hope you can read it) :).

I then figured "what the heck, just try every display input/output combination there is" - as i read somewhere elese that sometimes that might help.

And, indeed: When Using 2 Monitors via the Adapters and 1 Monitor directly via Displayport, all 3 Monitors wake up after sleep. When pressing a key on the keaybord/mouse or when remotely waking up the hackintosh.
I am happy :) As stated before, I did not test it for a longer period of time, so there still might be glitches. I am letting the machine sleep at the moment till i get back from work. Hope it will behave as expected.
--> Current Setup visualized in Scenario 2 of my little art piece.
Mind You: Darkwake must be set to 0 or 10 - at least with my setup. But had to do that on my old setup too.

Important (at least for me): For scenario 2, I had to connect ONLY one Monitor at first (the one with direct DP Cable connection) and boot up once (mind you: NOT into macos, just to the bios). By doing that, the BIOS of the video card defines this DP-Output-Port as primary. After doing that, shut down the pc again and then connect the other two displays. After Boot, the main display should show the boot process and the login window. The other two should then initialize just a few moments after the first one.

Oh, and on a sidenote: I did not yet get all 3 HDMI Audio Ports working for every monitor. Although having a dedicated SSDT for my graphics card, only 2 HDMI Audio outs show up under Volume/Sound. Same without a SSDT (or cloverHDMI etc.). I dont know why, but i read somewhere that when a graphics card has too many ports or one or more monitors are connected to a certain port that macos does not recognize hdmi audio on that port. When checking IOregistry, I noticed that my displays show up under @1,@2 and @4. I think @4 might be the problem. So if someone knows how to change that - gladly appreciated :).

TLDR: Try using different connections on your videocard/monitor combo. It might work ;)

cheers

Attachments

• GTX1080TI_Setup_and_Scenario1.jpg
    GTX1080TI_Setup_and_Scenario1.jpg
    612.4 KB · Views: 153
  • GTX1080TI_Scenario2.jpg
    GTX1080TI_Scenario2.jpg
    675.8 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Thanks @elmacci ! Glad that you got it to work :)

I'll try to switch cable configuration later too, please keep us posted as to the long term results

Quick heads up - after long sleep i had a freeze with darkwake 0 (but had that with gtx 970 as well).
With Darkwake 8 everything seems to work at the moment. Of course the next days will bring more clarification.

Well, spoke to soon obviously - yesterday the problem surfaced again....
That issue is driving me nuts!

Last try for me: I did a fresh install of macOS 10.12.6 and optimized Clover, meaning:
- no patched DSDT, instead I let clover do all the dsdt Patching on the fly.
- I installed all SSDTs for the Skylake Platform created by VoiletDragon: https://github.com/VoiletDragon/Series-100-Patches

Full Sleep cycle through the night successful passed - no issues since. But looking at how my previous attempts went i would not raise a glass yet.

Positive SideEffect of using the ssdts: My Intel 10 Series XHCI (USB) Controllers etc. now show up correctly under system profiler/pci).

Cheers

Hi @elmacci, sadly changing ports did nothing for me.

Tried patching graphics SSDT and the system seems a bit more stable on reboots, however still the same problem on each wake attempt.

Which SMBIOS are you using? Have you tried iMac 17.1, 14.2, MacPro 5.1 (not sure about the last one though)?

am using a patched ssdt for graphics as well.
btw, i switched back to direct connection via display port on all 3 displays. all is working well at the moment. Darkwake 8 is set.

You could also try this new kext described here - it mainly fixes the ibooks bug, but one user reported that it also fixed some display issues for him.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-nvidia-web-driver-ibooks-bug.203229/page-23#post-1553108

i am using smbios 17,1 btw.

hope you'll get it solved!
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back