Contribute
Register

Pascal and multi monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that my displays show up under @1,@2 and @4. I think @4 might be the problem
Nvidia supports 4 HDMI audio codecs since Kepler. The current driver does not support HDMI audio on the Pascal/HDMI port; #4 is likely the HDMI port

Nvidia supports 4 HDMI audio codecs since Kepler. The current driver does not support HDMI audio on the Pascal/HDMI port; #4 is likely the HDMI port
thx!

On my card it seems to be one of the 3 dp ports, as I dont have anything connected on hdmi.

What I dont understand is that with my former gtx 970, i had 3 hdmi/dp audio devices. My three monitors then were also connected via the 3 dp ports. maybe they changed something on the new card.

EDIT: Well, bugger - guess I misunderstood. What you probably meant is that the nvidia driver does not support the 4 HDMI Audio Codecs for Pascal. That probably means that the Nvidia Driver for Maxwell (GTX970) did support it?!

Last edited:
I recently added a 2nd monitor to the DP on my GTX 1070 along with the original display in the HDMI port. I can not boot into the OS if both displays are connected. Is this just another limitation of the Pascal drivers?

I have the same issue since I replace one monitor with a 4k monitor (Asus MX27UC) on my GTX 1080 Ti.
Befor I had also 2 monitors but no 4k monitor and one was connected via HDMI and one via DVI.
The 4k monitor is causing the problems, I replaced an older Samsung with low resolution with this one. I also have a Dell U2713HM.
Asus connected via DP it mostly won't wake from sleep, the Dell does wake no matter witch port I use for that one (HDMI, DP, DVI,..) it always wakes up but as the main monitor.

I wrote a little program to check it out and noticed that when the 4k would not wake up
CGGetOnlineDisplayList (MAX_DISPLAYS, displays, &numDisplays);
told me that I only had one monitor, the same as
CGGetActiveDisplayList (MAX_DISPLAYS, displays, &numDisplays);
So my 4 k monitor is not online, my first guess was that is wasn't active and that a resolution change after wake would fix it.
Not possible since the monitor is not online, no way to change the mode.

What is very strange is that I had it running fine for a few weeks, it would always wake up but then I had to reboot and trouble started again.
I really don't recall what made it work then.
Very frustrating.

It works most of the time with HDMI but then it happens that after wake I get a screen full of snow. Turning the power off and on will fix it 90% of the time.
Most of the time, say 90%, wake up is ok with HDMI.

I really would like to use the DP because everything works faster, switching between resolutions etc. goes much smoother.

Same monitor on same machine under Windows is fine, always wakes after sleep with DP!

I have HDMI audio on a Gigabyte GTX 1050

Not too sure how it happened though. It just showed up one day. I was using a DP --> HDMI adapter for audio. One day it stopped doing audio. So I thought "no point in using the adapter if audio won't work anyway". I took out the adapter and went straight HDMI and whatdoyakno HDMI audio was working. Nothing had changed, no new update, no new software, nothing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 1.08.35 PM.pdf
    453.3 KB · Views: 115
elmacci. did those patches end up fixing the issue for you ? I think I have a similar issue on a MSI z170 board & 6700K.
I am currently on vacation, but will try to explain the current settings i have via phone and from memory ;)

My Setup seems to be stable at the moment. Full Sleep Cycle overnight is working, waking all monitors via mouse/keyboard. Only Hiccups i get sometimes is when i remotely log into my computer. Most of the times it wakes perfectly fine, showing all 3 screens via the remote client app. But sometines when i remotely log in only 2 screens are shown, with the third being somehow there but showing a resolution of 0x0 in the monitor settings section of my remote client app. letting the computer just go to sleep again after the set amount of time in energy settings (i have set it to 5 min) and then remotely logging in again solves this issue. If I dont let it go to sleep and for example attempt a lot of logouts/logins when the hack is in that state, the computer freezes. So patience is needed, my young padawan ;) (at least when utilizing remote logins, which is a rather seldom use case i suppose. so ignore that little piece of literature i wrote here, back to topic).

My current setup/settings are the following (i would link to the corresponding threads here, but writing this over the iphone it is rather tiresome. so please search the forum for the patched/settings mentioned here)

- Aorus GTX 1080TI extreme with bios F3P, connected to 3 LG27UD88 4K Monitors directly via Displayport (Displaport 1.2 acrivated on the monitor to get 60hz)
- macOS 10.12.6
- Clover 4184
- z170x gaming 5 rev 1.0 (bios f22a)
- bios: igfx enabled with 64mb preallocated for quicksnyc to work, peg slot 1 enabled and set as init first, csm disabled and os windows 8/10 whql
- Patched DSDT with generic patches (eliminate acpi errors, basic renames - essentially i just patched the extracted original dsdt so it would give no compiling errors in maciasl and added the shutdown, irq and rtc patch from rehabmans repository)
- added a lot of ssdt‘s to my patched folder, mainly the skylake ssdts from violetdragon and from a z170/6700k Thread i found on insanelymac (i think from the users cyberdev and mald0n). For example, i have a graphics ssdt, a ssdt for the smbus, lpc etc etc.
Please keep in mind that i already had these before i got to the current stable system i have now. There are only 2 main differences which i think led to my breakthrough:
1) I got rid of the SSDT.aml, which i generated via Pikers ssdtprgen script for my 6700k CPU. I then used toledas new method for native powermanagement, which basically needs you to use a cpu compatible smbios (i use 17,1, which fits my 6700k perfectly) and a special ssdt (i think its called ssdt-xcpm) in the patched folder which enables plugin type = 1, resulting in a fully native powermanagement

2) i set darkwake to 10, which worked relatively fine. Darkwake, Darkwake 0, Darkwake 8 did not do the trick, monitor wakeup was erratic. Although Darkwake 10 worked flawfless for me when waking the machine ONLY via keyboard/mouse over longer periods of time, i got the feeling that remote wakeups (as explained earlier) were more prone to fail than with my current darkwake setting, which is darkwake 2.

Hope that helps
cheers

Hi all and @dmrkillah ,

i am happy to report that i found the culprit. Regarding my last posting, that did not eliminate the ussue completely.

After fiddling with some after settings that were not related to that problem, I found that by not using nvidiagraphicsfixup kext solved the problem of sometimes having a black screen with a multimonitor setup.

Instead i am using the Applegraphicsdevicepolicy Kext to Patch by piker to overcome the blackscreen issue with smbios 6,1/ 15,1/17,1.

Please try that as well and report back, meaning:

- deleting nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext
- setting the applegraphicsdevicepolicy kext to patch in clover
- reboot and test and report back.

here is the kext to patch:

Name
AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy

Find
626f6172 642d6964

Replace
626f6172 642d6978

Comment
(c)Pike R. Alpha

cheers

Since hightSierra and the new Nvidia web drivers my 4k monitor shows the login, so it wakes from sleep but as soon as I log in the 4k screen goes black and all windows move to my Dell monitor. With Sierra the 4k monitor was always (or 90% of the time) black after sleep, not even a login screen.

And with the new NvidiaGraphicsfixup-Kext the result is the same.
I do use iMac 18,3, could be a reason.. changing back to 17 or 14 isn't hard to do but all my registrations (or most of them) will see a new computer and ask to register again. That is a lot of work and no one can guarantee that it will work with 17 or 14...
I'll keep on using the HDMI connection for now, it works most of the time and if not turning the monitor of and on again will fix it.
HDMI is slower when changing resolutions compare to DP.
Maybe one day Nvidia will fix it... 10.13.1 or 10.13.2 or.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back