GA-Z97-HD3
CPU
i5-4460
Graphics
GTX 1080 Founders Edition
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Greetings guys!

I recently purchased 3 G5 cases (2 of which are fully functional and the third is just an empty case) and I am really excited about starting my hackintosh G5 modding project. (yay :D)

I have all the needed tools for cutting and modifying the case, apart from a solid aluminum (or other) sheet for the back side of the case. So if you have any ideas regarding what I can use for that part of the mod please do tell :)

About the hardware, I am going to use the machine for 3D modelling, rendering, video editing and similar. Gaming is off the table :)

I had doubts about the CPU choice: I know AMD cpus are able to support hackintosh but I really do not know the differences in the installation process or the performance difference between AMD & Intel.

Budget for this build is not limited, but living in the country I live in - one might stumble across huge lack of availability of many brands, parts and such...

So any thoughts, advice and suggestion you may have, please share :)

Welcome to the forum.

First you should read the rules and note that this forum does not support AMD CPUs and we do not discuss related topics.

So in your G5 hack project, you should think Intel CPU and I suggest that you look at Micro-ATX or Mini-ITX motherboards as this allows you to keep the PSU location at the bottom of the case. While some have used AXT motherboards that form factor is really not a good fit IMHO.

If you are into metal work there is just about no end to things that you can under take. However if you want quick and tidy you should review the offerings at the Laser Hive (https://www.thelaserhive.com/). Also search is your friend (both here on the forum and on the web).

Good modding,
neil

Thank you for the reply neilhart! I am sorry for mentioning AMD (it was just a side thought and I wanted to hear an opinion) it won't happen again.

Today I have made the initial cut into the case which I think will be enough to provide space for the back ports of the mobo as well as 2 coolers for air circulation.

I am still struggling to find an adequate material for the back side and after trying to cut a decent piece of steel I think I will go for a Plexiglas material as it is easier to cut. Do you think it will be a good fit?

Attachments

• 20180520_210018.jpg
    20180520_210018.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 141
You should decide what motherboard form you're going to use first and then decide of the placement in the case and the back part options. It will be easier to figure it out once you have your specs and the thickness of the material you need.

Thanks guys for the opinions, I will see what works best for my case. Meanwhile can you suggest me a good mix of parts for the work I intend to do on this machine (3D, rendering, video editing...) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back