Contribute
Register

Parts & newbie mobo question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys - I'm a bit new here.
I'm tired of my '13 iMac and like to do my first build, but have 1-2 questions. I use my mac mostly for machine learning (tensorflow) and want to run 2 monitors via DP. Here are the parts I picked out so far:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Titanium) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

The PSU is overkill, but I want to be on the safe side to be able to install another gpu. To my questions:
1. I can't figure out the difference between all these motherboards... What makes a good motherboard? Which would you recommend for my situation? (Hero sounds good - I guess...?)
2. Would you change anything to this setup? (I'm also a bit unsure about the case..)

Thx! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Maximus VIII Hero has a nice rebate on Amazon and Newegg right now. They are closing them out.
I believe it's for 30 dollars. Makes the Z170 version of the Hero about 38 dollars cheaper than the Z270 Hero.

The Define R5 case is an excellent choice. I've got the R4 and have my Haswell ATX build in it. Very solidly built and quiet.
Just make sure your liquid cooler will fit where you want to place it.

Last edited:
The Maximus VIII Hero has a nice rebate on Amazon and Newegg right now. They are closing them out.
I believe it's for 30 dollars. Makes the Z170 version of the Hero about 38 dollars cheaper than the Z270 Hero.
Thanks! Unfortunately I'm not US based - so the viii hero still costs a cool 200.

The Define R5 case is an excellent choice. I've got the R4 and have my Haswell ATX build in it. Very solidly built and quiet.
Just make sure your liquid cooler will fit where you want to place it.
How do I make sure of this?

How do I make sure of this?

Go to the Fractal Design website and find the specs of the radiator mounting areas then determine if the cooler you want to install will be doable. You could also look at youtube videos of builds with that case that use liquid coolers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back