Contribute
Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys, I'm back its been a long time since my last build. I have a Macbook air, I like to have a desktop because I mainly use it for school and is not very powerful.

I want to build something small the two small MB are
Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 mini-ITX
Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI
ill be gaming but I'm not liking the red on the gaming edition

My questions
I wonder if the ram and HDD are a must or i can pick anything, I really don't mind about the SSD but the ram it has to be the ballistic or I can use anything with the same class and clock speed? as for HDD there are others with better prices etc. I'm just curious if that's what's going to work then no questions asked, I did like to match my color theme for the build.

Thank you so much

Hi guys, I'm back its been a long time since my last build. I have a Macbook air, I like to have a desktop because I mainly use it for school and is not very powerful.

I want to build something small the two small MB are
Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 mini-ITX
Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI
ill be gaming but I'm not liking the red on the gaming edition

My questions
I wonder if the ram and HDD are a must or i can pick anything, I really don't mind about the SSD but the ram it has to be the ballistic or I can use anything with the same class and clock speed? as for HDD there are others with better prices etc. I'm just curious if that's what's going to work then no questions asked, I did like to match my color theme for the build.

Thank you so much
You can use any make/model RAM that is on the board manufacturer's RAM QVL list, found under the support button from your board's page on the vendor website.

You can use any make/model RAM that is on the board manufacturer's RAM QVL list, found under the support button from your board's page on the vendor website.

Sounds great, as for HDD and SSD same situation, anything is compatible I don't have to go with Samsung etc? thank you

Late here but if you want to really overclock your build I suggest you go with the Gaming 5 variant. There has been some test that suggest that the lack of VRM heatsink on the -WIFI variant causes problems with i7 .
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1497-page7.html

Late here but if you want to really overclock your build I suggest you go with the Gaming 5 variant. There has been some test that suggest that the lack of VRM heatsink on the -WIFI variant causes problems with i7 .
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1497-page7.html

Awesome no your not late but close, I'll start buying parts soon. I been considering the i5 6600k to OC a little bit its actually cheaper than the non-K i guess cuz it doesn't have a cooler. You know another MB that's compatible/ good for gaming/oc and its black? The only thing i don't like about the gaming 5 is the red its going to affect the looks of my system unless i paint those parts or sticker them idk lol

Thank you very much, very helpful :clap:

Once you gonna fill up the slots, I don't expect there will be much red coming thru...
What case are you gonna build it into ?

your right, the case is the
Phanteks PH-ES215P_WT Enthoo Evolv White Mini-ITX Computer Case
in white it has a big window that shows motherboard and SSD. going to add later on a good GPU, some SSD and liquid cooling for the i5 6600k

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back