Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello Everyone

I'm from France.

Sorry for my language...

Proud owner of a macmini mid 2006 that i've upgraded to core 2 duo 2,16 Ghz, my project is to buy a G5 case to build my first hackintosh.

Mac os X is a wonderfull OS, but my macmini is too low for my needs.

And the real Macpro is too expensive. I have a credit to pay my house, my car, and my kitchen.

So, i think, build his own hackpro is a good idea.

My idea is to buy a G5 case, to wait Lion, and then to buy the best Motherboard that supports Lion.

I've see a lot of G5 mods, but i dont know yet which one i'm going to "copy" because i want to cut as little as possible the G5.

See you soon !

Parkingmo

Hello...

There is a way where you don't need to cut, well two. One is buy an adapter from a guy in insanely mac. The adapter fit perfectly in a G5, in the back, and later you connect each port to your motherboard. Since I'm in Venezuela, buy that for me was a little expensive, so I decide to cut the back.

Anyway, the other way is use the PCI slot. You can brought a pci for audio, usb, and internet, and of course, your video pci... In that way, you can leave the case as they come.

In any case, if you decide to use your originals ports (from your mobo), you should cut the back, but is very easy... always you feel afraid to cut the case, but later you note that is very easy...

Start to look for a G5 case, or buy it... in ebay sometimes they are a little expensive, so you can look in your local area.

Good luck.

Hi all !

I'm asking myself about thunderbolt. When did we see a motherboard with thunderbolt marketed for exemple by gigabyte ???

On a other way, i think that i've found a G5 case for 100€ ... Yes it's expensive compared to the prices i've seen for cases in $ in US, but in europe, Apple is a little bi more expensive....

I've planned to buy a Isight discontinued webcam. Do you think it's a good idea ?

And to finish, i've seen on youtube a video presentation of the Z68X UD5 B3. the Motherboard seems very good...

I'm just a little bit afraid about time to boot need by hackintosh. My macmini boot in 12 seconds...

Do you think it's a good idea to make a fanless configuration ? There's no so much PSU fanless on the market, and i don't know if 450W is enough for my future mod.

I'll post photos once i'm going to receive equipments... !

Cheers

parkingmo said:
Hi all !

I'm asking myself about thunderbolt. When did we see a motherboard with thunderbolt marketed for exemple by gigabyte ???

Thunderbolt is Apple's implementation of Intel's Lightpeak technology. It might take some time until other vendors adopt it, if at all.

parkingmo said:
On a other way, i think that i've found a G5 case for 100€ ... Yes it's expensive compared to the prices i've seen for cases in $ in US, but in europe, Apple is a little bi more expensive....

Is it just the case for €100 or a whole G5? I just got a G5 off of quoka.de for €92 incl. shipping and in the 'bay they go for about the same. Just a case with nothing to sell off for €100 is really on the expensive side.

parkingmo said:
I've planned to buy a Isight discontinued webcam. Do you think it's a good idea ?

Apple's iSight is really crappy compared to today's standards. Have a look at Logitech's lineup.

parkingmo said:
And to finish, i've seen on youtube a video presentation of the Z68X UD5 B3. the Motherboard seems very good...

I'm sure somebody's going to create a DSDT file with the necessary changes soon.

parkingmo said:
I'm just a little bit afraid about time to boot need by hackintosh. My macmini boot in 12 seconds...

Your Hack will definitely take longer to boot. But I for one don't care about that fact that my Hack doesn't boot as fast because once booted up, it will blow every Mac mini (and also the Mac Pro I had before) out of the water. :)

parkingmo said:
Do you think it's a good idea to make a fanless configuration ? There's no so much PSU fanless on the market, and i don't know if 450W is enough for my future mod.

For a fanless config you'd most probably need to use a not-so-high-powered CPU and GPU, so 450W might even be enough.

abelpinate said:
Hello...

There is a way where you don't need to cut, well two. One is buy an adapter from a guy in insanely mac. The adapter fit perfectly in a G5, in the back, and later you connect each port to your motherboard. Since I'm in Venezuela, buy that for me was a little expensive, so I decide to cut the back.
Zammykoo isn't making the rear adapters anymore, he might have a couple left though but not sure.

parkingmo said:
Hi all !

I'll post photos once i'm going to receive equipments... !

Cheers
Look forward to seeing your photos when you have a build going.

parkingmo said:
And there it is !!!

I'm a new owner of a G5 case.

I'll upload pictures later !

looks like more than just a case! thats full of parts right? any working parts i would sell to pay for more of your g5hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back