Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD5
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
I installed Mountain Lion on an HP Probook 4540s last year. Works great. Now I'd like to use the OEM Windows 8 install disc to install Win8 in a Parallels partition, but I need the product key from the Windows 8 installation (that is no longer on the laptop) to activate Windows 8. Apparently, the motherboard has the key, and the install syncs with it during installation.

I understand that what I'm trying to do is one of the types of scenarios that they're trying to prevent.

Short of re-installing Windows 8 and getting the product key (I don't even know if the key will be visible to me), is there another way to get the product key from the motherboard?

Any help and/or advice is appreciated.

There's no MS product key imbedded on the motherboard. The product key is usually located on a label somewhere on the laptop. However, if there isn't one, enter a product key for a copy already installed on a computer. When you try to activate it you should receive a message from the server that the key has already been used (which of course it has). You'll also see a screen with a long string of numbers. Select activate your copy by telephone and call the number provided. Explain that you have replaced the drive and would like an activation. They will ask for the long string of numbers and should provide you with a new activation number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back