Not open for further replies.

eef

Motherboard
Asus Maximus viii Hero
CPU
i5-6600
Graphics
GTX 1070
I recently upgraded to Sierra (to take advantage of the new drivers for Pascal video cards only available on Sierra) and my two virtual machines (Linux and Windows 10) running under Parallels 11 (which does support Sierra) do not work any longer.

I get warnings about Virtualization being turned off, but I don't think that is new. What is new is that Windows 10 tells me it can't run, because I don't have a 64 bit processor. Which I do ...

The Linux VM brings up GRUB ok, but then I get nothing.

Thanks,

I've got this problem too, any solution?

I recently upgraded to Sierra (to take advantage of the new drivers for Pascal video cards only available on Sierra) and my two virtual machines (Linux and Windows 10) running under Parallels 11 (which does support Sierra) do not work any longer.

I get warnings about Virtualization being turned off, but I don't think that is new. What is new is that Windows 10 tells me it can't run, because I don't have a 64 bit processor. Which I do ...

Thanks,

I've got this problem too, any solution?

I don't have this problem with Parallels 12 Business. Verify BIOS settings i.e Virtualization, vt-D.

I am pretty sure the problem is just with Parallels 11. It is supposed to be compatible with Sierra, but it does not work with my Sierra hackintosh. I downloaded a copy of the latest VMware Fusion and that did work. Try that, or Parallels 12 (which I have not used, but the previous responder has) is the answer.

I am running the current version of Parallels and Windows 10 runs just fine. However, I can only allocate 2GB of VRAM to the system, so no heavy graphics stuff there!

Thanks,

First question when you updated to Sierra at anytime did you add the argument dart=0, if you did, that is probably your issue it is supposed to disable VT-d to allow your machine to boot up. Or you do not have the bios set to intel virtualization enabled. If either one of these is the answer than im not sure what to say, besides stop using maybe either the parallels and use something else or perhaps try installing a windows 10 vm that is strictly 32 bit instead of 64 bit see if that makes a difference.

First question when you updated to Sierra at anytime did you add the argument dart=0, if you did, that is probably your issue it is supposed to disable VT-d to allow your machine to boot up. Or you do not have the bios set to intel virtualization enabled. If either one of these is the answer than im not sure what to say, besides stop using maybe either the parallels and use something else or perhaps try installing a windows 10 vm that is strictly 32 bit instead of 64 bit see if that makes a difference.

I tried to change those settings, but I could not boot with them set differently. My solution was to buy a 250Gig internal flash drive (under $100) and use it as a boot drive for Windows. Dual booting is not so convenient as a VM of course, but it is now working for my purposes.

ive found a new solution which primarily works in VMware fusion 8.5, but also generally works in parallels as well, i managed to boot win 10 with this method, I will quote myself from a previous post i made elsewhere to save time

"
Ok i have the solution which will work, assuming your cpu supports VT-x, in clover run boot flag dart=0, go into bios/uefi and enable intel virtualization, save and reset, then boot into clover, use clover to turn off the system, when it shuts down unplug the computer and wait for all power to drain ie: no lights on in the system, plug it back in start it as usual make sure you have bootflag dart=0 enabled in clover options. From there start up the vm and when it asks to make changes before boot, check that, go to the advanced tab, it should look like a gear, when in those settings it should have something that asks what to use for virtualization it will be on auto, change that to VT-x and such and such and then close that tab and give it 4 cpu's some RAM and if you can more video memory. Close that and run. Ignore any messages that pop up. Continue running it, you can also enable hypervisor. It should work since I had the same type of issue as you i can guarantee it. If this worked please repost this message to others, alot of people are struggling with this. This method works for both parallels and vmware fusion.
"

the point is changes made to the bios regarding virtual technologies for whatever reason actually require you to do a full power cycle which includes unplugging your system, do not ask me why, all I know is it fixed the problem I have been struggling with for months. literally the simplest fix that i could not think of worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back