Graphics
Gigbyte Radeon RX 560 Gaming OC 4G Rev. 1.0
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Windows Phone
I updated from Chimera 1.9.1 to 1.9.2 the other day and when I went to load my Microsoft Windows 7 virtual machine today using Parallels Desktop 7 I noticed a strange problem. Windows 7 loaded super fast and the status bars and spinning blue circles were moving a lot faster than normal. The cursor to show where you are going to type was also flashing at a very rapid pace. I then went to YouTube and all the videos play like I am holding down the fast forward button.

Speaking of YouTube...

I recorded a YouTube video you can view below of the problem so you can see what is happening.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJomQaurfGA[/VIDEO]

It seems like the timing of the virtual machine might be off now that Chimera 1.9.2 is properly detecting the CPU speed. My system is running a Intel Core i5-2500K overclocked to 4.5GHz using turbo as you can see in the video. PLEASE NOTE: It only shows 4.3GHz, since About This Mac will only show that speed maximum based on info in another thread on the forums.

I re-installed Chimera 1.9.1 and everything is working again as expected in the Windows 7 virtual machine using Parallels Desktop 7.

I forgot to mention that my Windows 8 Consumer Preview virtual machine under Parallels Desktop 7 wouldn't even boot with Chimera 1.9.2. After re-installing Chimera 1.9.1 it is working fine again.

Another thing I did and didn't mention before was that I uninstalled Parallels Desktop 7 and re-installed it thinking that would fix the problem with Chimera 1.9.2, but it didn't fix the problem. The only thing that solved the problem was to switch back to 1.9.1.

I didn't try creating a new virtual machine and installing Windows 7 from scratch using Chimera 1.9.2 to see if that would fix the problem. I didn't try it, since I don't have time to do that at the moment.

Thanks I've been searching for this. I have the same problem with windows and Ubuntu vms. I will try to downgrade the bootloader.

Thanks

I wonder if this same problem happens with VirtualBox or VMware?

Does anyone have these other virtual machine applications install that can test this with Chimera 1.9.1 and 1.9.2 to see the results?

It really seems to be a timing issue with 1.9.2. I am wondering if by getting the overclocked CPU frequency to show in About This Mac that it is somehow now sending the wrong CPU speed to Parallels Desktop 7 when it tries to boot the virtual machines.

Yes I can confirm now. I downgraded to chimera 1.9.1 and my VMs are working now. My CPU-Speed won't be read correctly, but it is just a cosmetical.

I installed Joli OS (http://www.jolicloud.com/jolios) under Parallels Desktop 7 and it worked fine with Chimera 1.9.1. I installed Chimera 1.9.2 and tried going back into Joli OS and everything was accelerated like Windows 7 and Windows 8 were under 1.9.2.

I also tried creating an Ubuntu 12 virtual machine from scratch under Parallels Desktop 7 with Chimera 1.9.2 installed. I used the "Try It" option instead of installing it and could tell it was running too fast without even installing it. When I tried typing "youtube.com" to visit it to see if the videos played super fast I ended up getting "yyyyyyouuuuuuuttttttubeeee.commmmmm" or something like that. It was registering multiple keystrokes when I only press the key once for a split second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back