Contribute
Register

Parallels Desktop 7 & Chimera 1.9.2 = Hyperactive Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for looking into this problem and letting us know the solution.

I reduced my overclock from 4.5GHz to 4.2GHz and everything is working as expected in Windows 7 under Parallels Desktop 7. I am also able to run Windows 8 and Joli OS (based on Ubuntu) under Parallels Desktop 7 with my 4.2GHz overclock running Chimera 1.9.2.

I tried switching my turbo settings to 43, 43, 43, 43 after they worked using 42, 42, 42, 42 and all the problems came back again. I can report that Turbo 45, 45, 45 ,45 and 43, 43, 43, 43 both have the same problems. I didn't try 44, 44, 44, 44, but I would expect the same results based on the findings above.

The fastest overclock that will work for me is 4.2GHz (Turbo: 42, 42, 42, 42), which makes sense based on the discussions above. I wish I could get the extra 300MHz that I had before and maybe this option will become available in the future, but for now I guess I will be sticking with 4.2GHz. Staying at 4.2GHz will also allow me to upgrade to OS X 10.7.4 from 10.7.3 and use the SSDT available in MultiBeast instead of having to create one myself.

@MacMan

Thank you again for all of your support, hard work, and patients with us while we try to find solutions to our problems and report things we discover.

P.S. I am posting this using Firefox in Windows 7 under Parallels Desktop 7 on my Intel Core i5-2500K at 4.2GHz. :)

Nevermind. I just patched your trunk and it didn't work.

Altough I saw you've matched the bitfields to apple tsc.c.
If I use your values, I get correct cpu frequency and 118 mhz in parallels. If I won't use your bitfields-Values I won't get correct cpu frequency but parallels works OK.

MacMan said:
About This Mac will only report a maximum CPU speed of 4.3GHz when using the Chimera CPU auto detection. If you notice it also messed up Geekbench which is reporting a CPU speed of 118 MHz, the same as Windows under Parallels.

Try using a 4.2 GHz overclock and see what happens.

I'm running an i7-2700K, overclocked at 4.5GHz using an edited SSDT.aml, with Chimera 1.9.1. The "Hyperactive" parallels stopped and is running normal now, but the About This Mac only reads 3.49GHz and Geekbench reads 3.50GHz. How can I get it to read 4.3GHz?

drgnmsr said:
MacMan said:
About This Mac will only report a maximum CPU speed of 4.3GHz when using the Chimera CPU auto detection. If you notice it also messed up Geekbench which is reporting a CPU speed of 118 MHz, the same as Windows under Parallels.

Try using a 4.2 GHz overclock and see what happens.

I'm running an i7-2700K, overclocked at 4.5GHz using an edited SSDT.aml, with Chimera 1.9.1. The "Hyperactive" parallels stopped and is running normal now, but the About This Mac only reads 3.49GHz and Geekbench reads 3.50GHz. How can I get it to read 4.3GHz?

Okay, I think I got it, I am now just overclocked at 4.2GHz using Chimera v1.10.0 and overclocked SSDT from MultiBeast 4.6.0. Parallels is still running normal and the About This Mac is showing 4.19 GHz. So, in the end, I might be running 7% slower than when I was at 4.5GHz, but at least the About This Mac and Parallels are both running right now. :)

Interestingly enough, parallels and geekbench are not the only software, that suffers from this issue. The mountain lion installer also says 118mhz. Just open the logs and see for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back