Contribute
Register

Parallels Desktop 7 & Chimera 1.9.2 = Hyperactive Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is something definitely wrong with the chimera 1.9.2.

So I started my Windows7-VM in parallels (it took minutes to boot up). Then opened the system info in Windows. It says 118Mhz. Meanwhile I had loaded the MSRDumper. Although I have correct BIOS settings and correct SSDT file ( I have extracted it myself using Windows (not in Parallels) and compiled it, multibeast is the same anyway), I only get two states 16 and 44. Then you can see the output of sysctl and system profiler. They both differ. After that I've done geekbench. It scored right, but mysteriously It also had 118Mhz. And About my Mac screen shows 4.30Mhz?!??!

So I have attached a screenshot and my console output.

Code:
taylan-mac-pro:~ Taylan$ sysctl -n machdep.cpu.brand_string
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
taylan-mac-pro:~ Taylan$ system_profiler | grep Processor
      Processor Name: Intel Core i7
      Processor Speed: 4,41 GHz
      Number of Processors: 1
taylan-mac-pro:~ Taylan$

kfvb3

Attachments

• Ekran Resmi 2012-05-21 15.32.25.png
    Ekran Resmi 2012-05-21 15.32.25.png
    881.3 KB · Views: 271
About This Mac will only report a maximum CPU speed of 4.3GHz when using the Chimera CPU auto detection. If you notice it also messed up Geekbench which is reporting a CPU speed of 118 MHz, the same as Windows under Parallels.

Try using a 4.2 GHz overclock and see what happens.

I've overclocked up to 4,2ghz like you said. First I tried with the Multibeast 4.5.1 overclocked SSDT, it gave me kernel panic. Then I used my own edited SSDT, it booted fine. About my mac, geekbench and Windows7 in parallels now report 4,21ghz and are working fully. Even my ubuntu-VM is booting fine.

I only get to Pstates 16 and 42. That's fine though.

Can chimera detect beyond 4,30ghz? Can this issue get fixed? I want to use all my cpu power, because I use OpenCL on my research...

Until it can be fixed, I'm returning to 1.9.1, where I can safely overlock to 4,4ghz. The only issue is, that About my mac reports not correct speeds. But it's just cosmetic thing.

Code:
taylan-mac-pro:~ Taylan$ sysctl -n machdep.cpu.brand_string
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
taylan-mac-pro:~ Taylan$ system_profiler | grep Processor
      Processor Name: Intel Core i7
      Processor Speed: 4,21 GHz
      Number of Processors: 1
taylan-mac-pro:~ Taylan$

I can also confirm this problem with the latest Multibeast 4.5.1, yep Parallels vm's seems to really get mixed up. I am so delighted that it was isolated to Chimera 1.9.2, because I am not getting the same problem on another older hackintosh machine running 10.7.4 but with an older multibeast/chimera version set.

Great work guys, I even wrote to Parallels support and they as you can imagine were totally useless in this matter. :banghead: *Great software Parallels thou! :thumbup:

:clap: Such a wickedly Insanely Great tonymac community we have here! :headbang:
Oclair

On 10.7.4 with Chimera 1.9.2 I was not able to run parallels properly, but I am again able to use Parallels without any problems after downloading and installing chimera 1.9.1

Thanks again guys!

Will OS X 10.7.4 work with an overclocked Intel i5-2500K at 4.5GHz with Chimera 1.9.1?

I was thinking that we needed to run Chimera 1.9.2 with OS X 10.7.4 to get the processor working at the overclocked speed with the new SSDT option. I was under the impression that if you didn't run 1.9.2 and use the SSDT fix then the "K" processors would be stuck at 1.6GHz.

I know that I need to edit the SSDT if I want to make my processor go any faster than 4.2GHz and this is a little scary, but I am willing to try to figure it out if 10.7.4 will work with Chimera 1.9.1. I don't want to go through all that effort if Parallels Desktop 7 still isn't going to work after the upgrade.

The best solution would be to figure out why Chimera 1.9.2 is causing problems with Parallels Desktop 7, but unfortunately I don't know enough about everything involved with making a Hackintosh work to even know where to begin. :(

All versions of Chameleon and all versions of Chimera prior to 1.9.2 do not display or register the correct CPU speed to the OS. They don't calculate the actual CPU and only report what the stock speed is to the OS. This bug annoyed me for over a year and I finally fixed it in 1.9.2.

With OS X limited to reporting a maximum CPU speed of 4.2 GHz, once you pass a value larger than that things get wonky. That is what you are seeing in Parallels (which is not seen in VMware Fusion when running an overclock greater than 4.2 GHz). You will also see invalid information in Geekbench with it reporting the wrong CPU speed but is CORRECTLY RUNNING AND REPORTING RESULTS unlike Parallels. I would suggest reporting this as a bug with Parallels.

Based on this ONLY being seen in Parallels, I will not be changing Chimera back. It is finally working correctly based on the limits of OS X.

Older versions of Chimera are always available in previous versions of MultiBeast in the Downloads Archive viewforum.php?f=198 or you can build it yourself from source.

MacMan said:
With OS X limited to reporting a maximum CPU speed 4.2 once you pass a value larger than that things get wonky.

Why is it getting wonky? Is it because, there is no actually MAC with CPU speed >= 4.2 ?

If this is a bug, can it be fixed somehow?

The 4.2 GHz limit is most likely by design by Apple and it requires them to change.

So until they do, don't expect that limit to change.

MacMan said:
The 4.2 GHz limit is most likely by design by Apple and it requires them to change.

So until they do, don't expect that limit to change.

Well I'm already happy with 1.9.1 and thank you for that.

And thanks again for looking into that problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back