Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68X
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Sometimes I have problems with my Hackintosh and whenever I need help, the folks of tonymacx86 invariably fix whatever I messed up. I love this forum and this thread is to archive a solution I came across for a problem I found absolutely maddening. I'm posting this in hopes that if someone else runs into this issue, a search will direct them to the solution, as I personally searched for many, many hours trying to fix this without any satisfaction.

The problem
Many people who builds Hackintoshes like to also run Windows. Some of those people use Parallels to do so and some of those people also play Windows games through Parallels. The issue is that any game with a 3D, mouse-controlled camera absolutely freaks out when running in Parallels. This issue extends to first-person shooters, MMOs like Star Wars: The Old Republic, World of Warcraft, Everquest, Guild Wars, etc., and 3rd person 3D games like Grand Theft Auto, The Witcher, and many others. Further, it affects many non-game 3D programs that still have a 3D camera, such as Blender.

The freakout is often referred to as "mouse spin" and it's essentially a hypersensitive mouse issue. Imagine if you were trying to control a 3D camera with a mouse that is literally exponentially more sensitive than your usual mouse. It's impossible to simply turn down the sensitivity, too, so it just renders all of these programs completely unusable.

The solution
If you are plagued by "mouse spin," there is hope. I had this problem for months and I had originally written it off as just the way things were going to be, but the Steam Summer Sale of 2012 convinced me that it would be an excellent thing to fix. Lo and behold, after a second round of many hours of solution-hunting, I reached a fix.

1) Start up Parallels and get your Windows session running.

2) If you're in Coherence mode, exit Coherence mode. This is absolutely crucial. You'll want to be in windowed, non full screen mode.

3) With the Windows window active, click Virtual Machine (at the top of the screen) > Re-install Parallels Tools. Your Windows session may need to restart after this.

4) After the restart, go to Virtual Machine > Configure > Options > Advanced. Set "Smart Mouse" to "Auto" and check the box to "optimize modifier keys for games."

5) Go to your Mac's system preferences (Apple icon > System Preferences, if you don't have a shortcut) and click on Universal Access. Check "Enable access for assistive devices."

Poof, problem solved. Feel free to run Windows in full-screen or in windowed modes, but coherence will not work for this issue. Yes, for some strange reason, coherence plays a major role in making the problem pop up again.

I hope this helps any poor souls out there who've had the same problem and been unable to reach a conclusion like I was! Enjoy, and happy gaming.

Is there a fix for this in mavericks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back