ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - 3603
CPU
i5-2500K OC @4.5GHz 1.3v
Graphics
GTX 780 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi, i want repaint my mac G5 case, who already do it? what paint use?

Attachments

• 41d0X6hr0ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41d0X6hr0ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 1,892
:thumbdown: Cans are so small you better get 2 or 3.
One will only do a touch up. But it is so close to the right color:thumbup:
Ps They took their time sending it:rolleyes:

Anyone know of a similar product that is readily available in UK? I'm guessing some kind of car/auto paint is probably the best choice but its getting the colour match that would be tricky.

Also, would anybody happen to know if something like this plasticised spray paint would be likely to have issues with static if used inside a case or on a motherboard tray? (I'm hoping for the exact opposite and it would work as an insulator.)

I noticed they also do a liquid electrical tape spray so assume its a completely different product or else its the same thing just re-packaged.

I've done a custom G5 Case which due to a lot of scuffs and scratches I had no choice but to sand the whole thing down and then spray paint it. The best paint I've found so far is 'Rust-Oleum Universal Spray Paint'. It comes in a good range of colors and effects. The one I used was Titanium Silver Metallic and I was very pleased with the result. I then got new Apple decals from KustomPC so that I could have the logos on the side panels once more. I went with a Frosted Effect for the Decal Logos.

Attachments

• rust-oleum-universal.jpg
    rust-oleum-universal.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 3,452
Do you think one can would be enough to spray the exposed part of a motherboard tray?

Easily.
I used two cans to spray an entire G5 case, inside and out.

I will try and look out some pictures of the case mad I used the spray on and post them on this thread for you to have a look at.
I should be able to do that tomorrow, then you can have a look at the result.
I have used a mATX Lain Li mother board tray and rear panel for all three of my G5 case mods. I find them to be a less invasive fit. The only down side is that you are left with a tiny exposed space at the bottom where the old extraction fan used to be. To cover this I used and small strip cut from a perforated sheet of aluminum. Once I had spray painted the whole case, back panel, aluminum strip and all, it looked pretty good (or at least I think so. Once I've posted the pics you can decided).
I have only spray painted one of my three case mods and as mentioned it was because of the condition of the case. If you are not looking to spray the whole case I would just leave the back plate as is. The ones I got from Lain Li looked fine with the plain unpainted metal. There are a lot of G5 case mods out there that have done this for you to check out. Another option to help it blend in is to take a Dremel to it with the right attachment and dull the surface of the metal on the rear plate. Once it stops being shiny it should really blend in rather well. If you do that and don't like the finished look you can still always spray it.

Here are the pictures I mentioned of my finished Spray Painted G5 Case Mod......

Attachments

• Case 01.jpg
    Case 01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,050
  • Case 02.jpg
    Case 02.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,816
  • Case 03.jpg
    Case 03.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,211
  • Case 04.jpg
    Case 04.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8,118
  • Case 05.jpg
    Case 05.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,201
  • Case 07.jpg
    Case 07.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,686
  • Case 08.jpg
    Case 08.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,168
Looks mint!

I'm in a position where I want to spray my case. I have stumbled across many mods and Googled relentlessly in regards to the best possible ways of spraying the anodized aluminium but to be honest I'm just more confused!

All I want to know really is - How did you prep? I've read many posts that suggest many different ways like making sure to use a (self etch primer)/(galvanized metal etching spray primer) before spraying etc!

Did you use anything like this? Also, how did you go about sanding it down and sanding the apple logo as it feels and looks like it differs from the anodizing!

Figured I would ask someone who's been there as don't want to waste any more time looking it up and more importantly, screw up a nice G5 case!

Your help would be gratefully appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back