Contribute
Register

P9X79 Pro Guide (still a work in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, one thing that I saw was wrong is your placement of the edits. (there may be more, I am not a pro)
It should look something like this.

<key>Boot Banner</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string> -f cpus=1 npci=0x3000 darkwake=0 </string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>No</string>

All edits are done below the "key" and in between the "string." A space can be added at the beginning and end, but not needed.

Ok so I tried booting with the changes and it didn't work. Im thinking that I need to change something in my BIOS, what do you have your BIOS set to? Maybe if i can get the BIOS correct it will boot. Also I should mention that I have 2 drives and want to run Windows on one and Mac on the other. If that is causing the trouble please let me know.

Ok so I tried booting with the changes and it didn't work. Im thinking that I need to change something in my BIOS, what do you have your BIOS set to? Maybe if i can get the BIOS correct it will boot. Also I should mention that I have 2 drives and want to run Windows on one and Mac on the other. If that is causing the trouble please let me know.

I will have to look through my settings, and right now I am running 10.8.5. I plan to update to Mavericks next week. As for your Bios settings go, I can try to help you. Also Where are you at in the installation process? Because it sounds like you have gotten to the install screen and now are trying to boot into 10.9?

Here is a check list to go through.
_ AHCI mode
_ CPU is at base Clock
_ RAM is at base Clock
_ Only one Blank HD/SSD connected

PS: I have windows also running on my Hac, so that is possible, but don't try to get windows running until you have OS X up. Also I recommend having a time machine drive, it really comes in handy.

Edit add: You may wanna try npci=0x2000, I have read that has been helping some people out.
Edit add 2: You might try PCIRootUID=1 as well. I have had to use it for all of Mtn Lion, but it may not be needed in Mav.

i have tried it but it gives me memory allocation error ati.c if i use GE=Y and gives white screen spinning circle if use GE=No , any help?

Ok so Im following your guide because i have gotten the BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH!!! Im just wondering if I'm editing the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file correctly here is what I did. Is that right?

P.S. I'm totally new to this so please be gracious in your response.

<key>Boot Banner</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler - Yes
<string>No</string>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>IGPEnabler - No
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags -f cpus=1 npci=0x3000 darkwake=0
<string></string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>No</string>

P.P.S. Im gunna go try it now

Edit* tried booting with that and got the little red apple with eyes instead of the apple logo on the white screen. waited a while an nothing happens, just the stupid little apple staring me down. There has got to be something really little that I am overlooking, any ideas on how to get OSX Mavericks to work? System specs are in my profile.

With Instant Menu = yes, it will stay on the "apple with eyes" screen until you hi-lite an icon and hit enter. If you only have one icon, hit enter

any help for me?

i have tried it but it gives me memory allocation error ati.c if i use GE=Y and gives white screen spinning circle if use GE=No , any help?

Hello, one thing that I saw was wrong is your placement of the edits. (there may be more, I am not a pro)
It should look something like this.

<key>Boot Banner</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string> -f cpus=1 npci=0x3000 darkwake=0 </string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>No</string>

All edits are done below the "key" and in between the "string." A space can be added at the beginning and end, but not needed.

if using -f as a boot flag, UseKernelCache=No is not needed. That is what -f does - forces rebuild of caches.

With Instant Menu = yes, it will stay on the "apple with eyes" screen until you hi-lite an icon and hit enter. If you only have one icon, hit enter

No the apple with eyes was in place of the grey apple logo... very strange. btw I am still having problems, I have tried pretty much all the boot flags and still can't get OSX Mavericks to boot. What am I doing wring? Ive made the boot drive EXACTLY they way the tutorial has said, Ive set BIOS settings EXACTLY they way it says and when I boot nothing happens, cannot load the installer.

No the apple with eyes was in place of the grey apple logo... very strange. btw I am still having problems, I have tried pretty much all the boot flags and still can't get OSX Mavericks to boot. What am I doing wring? Ive made the boot drive EXACTLY they way the tutorial has said, Ive set BIOS settings EXACTLY they way it says and when I boot nothing happens, cannot load the installer.

Ok, well it sucks that nothing is working for you. I will be updating to Mavericks next week. If I get it working, you and the others following this thread will be the first to hear.

Really wanna help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back