1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Build-
CPU: Intel i7-2600k Overclocked to 4.4Ghz
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
Video: Gigabyte GTX 570
RAM: 4 x 4 GB G.Skill at 16000 Mhz
Hard Drive: OS X on 2 TB Western Digital Green and a RAID 0 of 2 x 128 GB Crucial m4 for Windows 7 EFI
Optical Drive: Optiarc 7200 and a Pioneer BDR-206DBK
OS X Version: OS X 10.8.0 Mountain Lion and then upgraded to 10.8.1 (issue is the same in both versions)

Regarding Storage Setup-
The 2TB Mountain Lion Drive is connected to 3Gbps Intel SATA port and the RAID 0 array is on the 6 Gbps Intel SATA ports. Marvell is not used, but not disabled.
The Intel controller is in RAID mode which boots fine after including the RAID device address in a .plist (can't remember the name).
Point is, OS X boots fine in RAID mode and this issue was still present even in AHCI mode.

My motherboard settings -
Internal PLL Overvoltage: Disabled
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
HPT: Enabled
SATA Controller: AHCI/RAID (neither make a difference)
All States in CPU Management are Enabled Except for CPUID something something...

Regarding DSDT-
BIOS is patched. Attached is my extra folder with org.Chameleon.Boot.plist and DSDT/SSDT.
I made the DSDT with the generic P8 patch, ALC892, AppleRTC, and I tried using with and without the ASUS Shutdown patch. Same results.

Regarding SSDT-
The SSDT I got online from a thread in this forum from someone with the same CPU/Mobo that supposidly recognizes up to 4.9 Ghz. I'm only at 4.4 Ghz.
I have tried to use the Multibeast 5.0.2, but got a kernel panic if I didn't set each core seperately and if I overclocked passed it's maximum of 4.2 Ghz.
Speedstep works perfectly and I get some nice, evenly spread out states.

Regarding SMBios-
I've tried all types MacPro 3,1-5,1 and MacMini 5,1/5,3 and iMac 12,2. Nothing fixed the sleep issue. I stuck with MacMini 5,3 since that gave me the most evenly spread out P-States according to MSRDumper.

Multibeast Installation -
I used the Multibeast method installing the Audio kext (with DSDT) for ALC 892, TRIM Enabler (don't really need), Gefore 4xx/5xx OpenCL enabler, FakeSMC (and plugins), USB 3.0 - 3rd party, hnak's Apple IntelE1000e, PathcedAppleIntelCPUPowerManangement.kext, AppleRTCPatch for CMOS, with Chameleon Bootloader 2.0-svnr2042.

THE PROBLEM -
-So the build tries to go to sleep and turns off... less than a second later it turns back on and sometimes it complains about drives not being unmounted properly. Also, sometimes, the mouse is laggy for a few seconds before it starts to work smoothly again.

-Shutdown causes the entire machine to shutdown properly, completely turn off, then three seconds later it turns on again. So strange! Is this normal!?

-Restart causes the same thing as shutdown, but not all devices power off before the motherboard proceeds to POST and try to boot up something. It never seems to be able to though; it hands and freezes at either the BIOS screen or a blinking cursor... some kinda corruption/miscommunication between the OS and the Mobo...
I'm not losing BIOS settings, but could this be a CMOS corruption? Even though I patched the DSDT with AppleRTC and installed the patched kext with Multibeast?

-Final strange thing... If I boot into OSX and try to Sleep/Shutdown/Restart (ANY OF THEM!) then Sleep in Windows is BROKEN! I try to sleep and it turns on a second later after everything powers down. I can fix this by switching off the power supply and draining the motherboard of power (no lights on). If I boot straight into windows from here, sleep works fine, but breaks as soon as I get into OSX and try to Shutdown/Reboot/Restart.

What's attached-
-Included Extra folder with no themes.

-Included Chameleon bootloader installation log.

-I've also included a kext dump with all kexts and non-apple kexts.
This problem has always been here even before the Nvidia CUDA and the Logitech package were installed.

Plea -
Does anyone know what the hell is going on....? Because I sure don't... Thanks for the help! and sorry for the extensive post.

Attachments

• Chameleon_Installer_Log.txt
    4 KB · Views: 213
  • kextstat.txt
    11.3 KB · Views: 202
  • kextstat-nonapple.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 190
  • Extra.zip
    48.9 KB · Views: 171
make sure c1e, c6 and c3 in bios are set to enabled.

sleep, then check console.app for wake reason.

edit- aha, in your long post (not a bad thing at all. its rare to see such a comprehensive help thread) you mention you installed the usb 3 kext.
this is known to kill sleep fuctionality.

delete it from /s/l/e

Thanks so much samisnake!!!!

You know the thing is I was aware of the sleep issues with USB3, but thought it was only with the PHX*.kext and not the new ones installed with Multibeast 5.0.2. That fixed it sleep now works in Windows and OS X.

I hope this thread helps others who are having trouble with configuring this motherboard. Remember my boot.plist and SSDT/DSDT are attached to the first post!

Question: I'm using an EFI enabled Windows installation on the RAID 0 and Chameleon... I'm hearing that eventually Chameleon will be able to boot EFI Windows, but not yet... is that true?

I've looked into Clover for native EFI booting and heard a few other names out there... unfortunately, all the instructions to install them are not so well documented and it doesn't look like the people who get it working post much about it online.

Can you recommend a bootloader that may be easy to use or instructions on a site that are simple to follow to boot EFI Windows as well as OS X (native EFI if possible..)?

Last Question: With USB 3.0, will we just have to wait for a kext that works with sleep? Where would I look to find that as soon as its released?

Last edited:
Build-
Regarding SMBios-
I've tried all types MacPro 3,1-5,1 and MacMini 5,1/5,3 and iMac 12,2. Nothing fixed the sleep issue. I stuck with MacMini 5,3 since that gave me the most evenly spread out P-States according to MSRDumper.

SMBIOS Types -
iMac 12,2 P-States -> 16 21 44
Mac Mini 5,3 P-States -> 16 21 38 44
MacPro 3,1 P-States -> 16 21 22 23 44

Mac Pro 4,1 and MacPro 5,1 both cause a kernel panic.
Sleep works fine with all that booted. Restart seems to crap out a bit with Mac Mini 5,3, or it could've been the constant smbios switching and no full power cycle to drain mobo of power (since it did seem to work before with Mac Mini 5,3).

Notes -
-It seems as if the Mac Mini 5,3 would be the best because the P-states are spread out, except that when accessing the CD/DVD options in System Preferences, accessing Storage tab under "About this Mac", System Information app, or try to eject my optical drives from the top of the screen... it freezes up! Not the entire system, but the offending app/window. The top menu bar does freeze up if trying to eject.

-The features that aren't available on the Mac Mini, lock up when accessed on the Hackintosh with that hardware.

Point is -
Stuck with MacPro 3,1 since it seems that I got about 2 more FPS on average using Cinebench. It also seems to idle more in 16 instead of MacMini 5,3 (which idles more at 21 and sometimes drops down to 16).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back