Contribute
Register

P8P67 Deluxe - i7 2600k - Sapphire HD 6850 - need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
achanda said:
Andy: Can you pls. advise how I can dual boot with win7 and mac osx

The way I always do it is to install windows and OS X onto seperate drives. I leave the drive with windows on as the selected boot drive in the bios and then use EasyBCD 2 from within windows to create a Mac OS X boot entry in the windows bootloader.

You can install them onto seperate partitions on the same drive if you really want to - you just have to be a little more careful.

achanda said:
In my next post I will post my specs in details.
Alpha: Is your system working finally ? interested in the

When I created this thread, I didn't see an exact match for my configuration. So I was hoping the help I will get will be tailored specifically on the hardware that I got.

As far as rebooting without bootcd (via bootloader), that got fixed. System seems stable. LAN driver works, I can surf and download things from the internet.
I can view some youtube videos, but there are some videos that stopped playing (maybe those with adds?). I downloaded and installed Flash from Adobe, and it didn't seem solved the problem. Could be a Java thing? Not sure yet.
Also, seeing all 16Gb in 1600(or 1866) DDR3 is sweet.

My things to do/solve (need help on these):
1. Audio (ALC 889)
2. Bluetooth (would like to use the Apple wireless keyboard and magic trackpad)
3. triple boot OSX/Ubuntu on the same drive, and Windows 7 on a separate drive.
4. Would like to get turbo boost to work, and turn on other settings in EFI, like:
- Multithreading
- Speed Step
- CPU ratio to Auto, so I can overclock to my usual 4.5Ghz., and back to 1.6Ghz when idle

If this is your first Sandy Bridge build, make sure you have everything stable with Windows. You can't just use any RAM, make sure it's Sandy Bridge compatible (1.5v). Vengeance is preferred by Corsair for this system.
Any P8P67 Deluxe board issue, see you at the Asus forum. :)

Good luck.

AndyStubbs said:
achanda said:

The way I always do it is to install windows and OS X onto seperate drives. I leave the drive with windows on as the selected boot drive in the bios and then use EasyBCD 2 from within windows to create a Mac OS X boot entry in the windows bootloader.

You can install them onto seperate partitions on the same drive if you really want to - you just have to be a little more careful.

Andy, I have Windows on a separate drive. Would like it to boot on it's own if it's the only drive plugged in.
I want my OSX and Ubuntu on the same drive on separate partitions.
If both drives are in, I would like the bootloader to make me choose which one to use.
Is that possible?
I read that the bootloader Ubuntu (installed last) puts in will accomplish the task, but I'm not sure if it will work if Windows is on a separate drive.

AlphaOne said:
Andy, I have Windows on a separate drive. Would like it to boot on it's own if it's the only drive plugged in.
I want my OSX and Ubuntu on the same drive on separate partitions.
If both drives are in, I would like the bootloader to make me choose which one to use.
Is that possible?
I read that the bootloader Ubuntu (installed last) puts in will accomplish the task, but I'm not sure if it will work if Windows is on a separate drive.

Thats almost exactly the config I have!

I have windows 7 on my first sata drive,
snow leopard on a partition on my second drive (chameleon also installed),
xp media center installed on my third drive along with ubuntu installed via wubi.

I used easybcd 2 to create a Snow Leopard boot entry on the windows 7 boot loader.

The bios hard disk boot order is windows drive then os x drive and then xp drive so if I ever remove the windows drive from the disk caddy it will auto boot os x instead. If I leave the windows drive in it will boot from this drive and the windows bootloader and prompt me to load windows, snow leopard, xp or ubuntu.

Being paranoid I wanted bootloaders on all of the drives - ie if windows gets knackered i can still boot osx and and if osx gets knackered I can still boot windows and ubuntu.

Ubuntu is the weak link in my setup because it's reliant on the windows bootloader but I hardly use it so couldn't care less if I have to reinstall it - i guess I could also add it to the xp bootloader anyway lol.

The key advantage is that when installing windows you dont attach the os x drive and when installing os x you dont attach the windows drive = less risk of buggering up the other os. When All os's are installed you connect all the drives, boot into windows and use easbcd 2 to add the os x boot entry.

AlphaOne said:
My audio is not working yet too. I tried Multibeast but it it didn't work.

If the deluxe uses the ALC892 chipset for audio then give this ALC892 Enabler a try viewtopic.php?f=79&t=14725 works great on my Pro and gives a nice clean 5.1 output. If you do give it a try remember to leave feedback on the beta thread.

AndyStubbs said:
achanda said:

You can install them onto separate partitions on the same drive if you really want to - you just have to be a little more careful.
Tony wrote a Guide for dual boot using one drive, two partitions. See my signature block for the link.

BTW, even though I installed Ubuntu on a separate drive, I install Grub in the same partition as Ubuntu rather than let the std install location in the bootloader. Chameleon see it just fine. I found out about this technique in a thread here.

Just an update on the install I made using Andy's bootCD. I will try the new iBoot 3.0.1 later.
Anyway, I donwloaded the new 3.5.2 version of MultiBeast and installed the following:
- the new Chimera bootloader
- reintalled audio for ALC889
- ATI graphics

Can confirm that Chimera worked wonderful for the P8P67 Deluxe.
My graphics card is now being recognized as the 6850. Woooohooo.
And the fun part ... audio now works! See below.

Before the MB 3.5.2, profiler always sees my audio as the 892. This is due to using Andy's bootCD which is specific for the Pro board. I thought I already deleted the kexts related to 892, but profiler still shows 892. And system not showing any output devices therefore no sound.
It's been showing this even though I ran Multibeast to reinstall 889, and repairing permissions.
With the new version of MB, I tried repairing my audio again. After several attempts, and deleting everything with "HDA" in the extension folders, then reinstalling 889, profiler finally showed the right driver for the chipset.
But still no audio.
After several hair pullings, I selected to use Internal Speakers instead of Line Out as an output device .... ding ding ding .... audio at last!

What a noob! :)

AlphaOne said:
After several hair pullings, I selected to use Internal Speakers instead of Line Out as an output device .... ding ding ding .... audio at last!

What a noob! :)

Actually that's not really a noob mistake because it's not really immediately obvious if you are only using stereo speakers. If the 889 drivers are anything like the 892 ones then they support 5.1 audio so by selecting Line Out you were actually selecting either the centre/sub output channel or the rear surround channel which you most likely had no speakers connected to!

AlphaOne said:
Here's what I have: (sorry, I don't know how to make a window/screen capture yet :) )

Extra/Extensions:
- ALC8xxHDA.kext

System/Library/Extensions:
- AppleHDA.kext
- HDAEnabler889.kext

That's all I think that's relevant.

The AppleHDA.kext is my bet, it gets patched for the 892 and if he is running that patched version then it may not work with the 889.
Try replacing it with the original and then install the 889 package again - that 'should' hopefully sort it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back