CPU
i7-870
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Help. I've elected to revive an ancient hackintosh build based around the Asus P7P55D-E mobo. To my delight, I've got wifi, bluetooth, and graphics all working adequately. But I have no sound. I've tried all three of the VoodooHDA options in multibeast (deleting the old version from /Library/Extension between attempts), but no version has recognized the mobo's audio outputs or the speakers i have plugged into them.

Should I be using something else in MultiBeast? Is there something else I should do?

Thanks!

The VIA audio chip that was fitted to many P55 Asus boards has often been difficult to get running in macOS. The easiest option is probably to use a simple USB audio solution such as the Sabrent one in the buyers guide > Accessories section, it is about the 8th item down from the top. This works well and survives macOS updates without issue.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/april/2017#Accessories

I remember the audio being one of the fiddliest problems to solve all those ages ago when last this computer worked for me. Of course, it'd be tidier if I could get it working without another adapter... but frankly I'm sortof amazed the machine runs at all.

Does the usb adapter work out of the box? Or does that require extra installation steps?

Thanks for the recommendation!

It is plug and play - select the option in System preferences > Audio section. You have 3.5mm jacks for audio in and audio out. It is also supplied with a short USB extension cable for instances where the USB ports are very close together.

Thanks again. If I go that route, I'll definitely get it via the tonymac link. This place is a godsend. But - because i'm a masochist - do you (or anyone) know which drivers are supposed to work? I'm not even confident that I'm trying the right ones anymore.

Help. I've elected to revive an ancient hackintosh build based around the Asus P7P55D-E mobo. To my delight, I've got wifi, bluetooth, and graphics all working adequately. But I have no sound. I've tried all three of the VoodooHDA options in multibeast (deleting the old version from /Library/Extension between attempts), but no version has recognized the mobo's audio outputs or the speakers i have plugged into them.

Should I be using something else in MultiBeast? Is there something else I should do?

Thanks!
You know, I have not had good luck installing Voodoo drivers from within MultiBeast. What I have had luck with is downloading and installing Voodoo drivers from Sourceforge.net. These are self-installing. They worked for me in El Capitan when Multibeast Voodoo drivers did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back