GTX650Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
WORK IN PROGRESS:

- If you plan an upgrade make sure you have a bootable backup of your operating system.

- Yosemite works perfectly with this motherboard, with either a clean install that updating Mavericks, in this case you only need to apply the patch for audio and AppleRTC.
This guide is based on Clover, because only with this bootloader you are able to handle the problems of iMessage and FaceTime.

- Note: It is mandatory to have the bios set as shown in the screenshots you have downloaded and a patched DSDT for your configuration. More simply; if you have, like me, a video card that has no HDMI output you just need the first patch, if yours have it and you are interested in having the HDMI audio, apply also the second one.
If you've read the "jaymonkey" guide (How to fix iMessage) and have already solved the problem, take note of your IOPlatformSerialNumber, IOPlatformUUID, ROM and MLB. Surely you know what I mean.

For those who still didn't do it:

- "Quoting jaymonkey guide:

From Part-2 of the guide :-

UUID Summary:

On a working OSX system the following should all be true.

The platform UUID (via terminal command: "ioreg -lw0 | grep PlatformUUID") and hardware UUID (via System Profiler -> Hardware Overview) should always be the same.
The IOReg key "system-id" (IORegistry: IODeviceTree : efi / platform / system-id) should always be 16 x 16Bit unique hex numbers and will always be different to the OSXplatform & Hardware UUID regardless if manually injected or supplied by the BIOS."

What you really need with this MB are:
- 1) A valid serial number for MacPro 3.1. Do not try other system definitions as they may cause issue with iMessage and Facetime.

- "Quoting jaymonkey guide:

- OXS Serial Number

It is critical that you have a unique OSX Serial Number (S/N). Under no circumstances should you use someone else's OSX S/N it isn't necessary and can cause a miss-match with your System Type and lead to security issues.

Important: Try to keep the number of times you change the OSX S/N to an absolute minimum as Apple will detect the change against your devices UUID, if done too many times Apple will block your device's UUID against your AppleID. While resolving some iMessage issues like BCD names and fixing ID's I recommend going off line that way you avoid Apple's servers detecting any changes which could be flagged as a miss-matches."
Make sure your OSX S/N is valid but not registered ...

I recommend that you check any existing or newly generated OSX S/N using Apple's Self Solve website which can be accessed at the following URL:-

(Apple Selfsolve)

Simply copy and paste your OSX S/N into the form and click on continue, if your S/N passes the validation checks and is not registered then site will return with the following message:-

"We're sorry, the number you have provided cannot be found in our records. Please verify the number and try again"

This is good and is the only message you really want to see ..... it means your OSX S/N does not match an existing MAC's S/N but it does pass all of Apples S/N validation checks, this is also vaery useful when calling Apple support as the S/N will appear valid but will not show up on their systems ..

If the site returns with a message reporting the remaining time left in warranty or that the S/N or device is out of warranty then it means that the S/N is already registered and assigned to anther machine - in which case do not use it, generate another one and check it again.

Using someone else's OSX S/N is a very bad idea (if you own the MAC then its not so bad) however if Apple's systems detect that more than one machine is using the same S/N and/or other critical ID's such as ROM, MLB .. etc at the same time then it can cause security authentication issues and you may be locked out using iMessages on all of your other devices, please read Step-5f for more information on this subject."

- 2) MLB
Will be generated by Clover from the field "Board serial number". In our case this should be your OSX S/N + 5 random alpha/numeric values to make 16 digits long, because MacPro 3,1 S/N are 11 digits.

- 3) ROM and SmUUID are related and will be generated automatically by Clover. You need it only if have used a custom one in your previous system.

- Preparing for installation:

- Download these stuff and copy the files on a pen drive:
(Bios Settings)
(MaciASL)
(P5K-E DSDT Patches)
(Clover_v2k_r2976)
(config.plist)
(SGR Theme)
(iMessage_debug)
(Kext for P5K-E)
(IOJones)
(AD1988b Patch)

- Be sure to have a valid MacPro 3,1 S/N and to have generated the "Board serial number"

- This installation is based on Clover 2976, so, please, do not use other versions. You can pick later
Be sure to be DISCONNECTED FROM INTERNET.
If you are uprading from Mavericks you have first to clone your system on a separate HDD to avoid conflicts between the two bootloader. After the installation you can perform the same steps as in the clean install.

- Clean install:

Follow the guide you prefer, Clover or Unibeast. I feel more at ease with UniBeast, performing Clover after installation and then I have to admit that I have not yet tried to install with Clover. Use always the latest version of Yosemite to avoid making an unnecessary upgrade.
If you have a not supported Graphics card you have to boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes.
When the installation reboot do it another time from USB but this time, at Chimera boot screen, chose your HDD.
During the first boot of Yosemite configure only your Name, Nick and Password and avoids everything about iCloud iMessage etc ... You'll do it later.
Now copy all the stuff you have downloaded on the desktop.
(Note: everyone has their own way of working, but, in my opinion, it is best to put everything in a folder, transferring on the desktop only what you need)

DSDT:

- Open up MacIASL and in "Preferences / iasl" mark ACPI 4.0; close and reopen the application, "save as" your clean DSDT as "Disassembled ASL file" and put a copy in a safe place.

- Close and reopen MaciASL, click "Patch", then "Open" and point to the folder where the patches are stored, select "01 - P5K-E WiFi AP Patches.txt", click "Apply" and, when finished, click "Close".

- Now "Compile" to control that there are no errors (At this point, if you have a graphics card with HDMI audio, repeat the procedure selecting the second patch "02 - P5K HDMI Audio Patch.txt").

- Finally "Save as" "ACPI Machine Language Binary" on the desktop.

Clover config.plist:

- Unzip config.plist and launch Clover configurator. If it ask to open EFI partition say no and then go in "File" "Import configuration" and open the previous unzipped config.plist.
It is pre edited for this MB
- in Acpi control that there is "DSDT.aml" in DSDT name field
- in Boot check "Verbose" and "kext-dev-mode=1", control that XMPDetection is No and in the field Default Boot Volume write the name of yours.
- in Gui select your langauge and cotrol that theme is SGR (you can change it in a second time)
- in Graphics if you have a supported Graphics card let all unchecked, otherwise check "inject nvidia" or "inject ati" depending on the card you have
- in Kernel and Kext Patches control that AppleRTC is flagged
- in SMBIOS should already be pre modified for MacPro 3,1. You have only to add yours "Serial number" and "Board serial number".
- in System Parameters control that "Inject System ID" is checked and that "Inject Kexts" is set to "Detect" or "No"
- Go in Clover configurator/File and close saving the file

Clover install:
- Install Clover to your HDD with the Custom settings as per the attached screenshots:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipk86qn4ki9l5h8/Schermata 2014-11-17 alle 23.27.54.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vh9d8h0ytwnn0vx/Schermata 2014-11-17 alle 23.28.30.png?dl=0
(I chose not to instal in ESD because the start of Yosemite was considerably slower but you are still free to try it.)
Note: With this MB you can only boot legacy, no UEFI.
At the end of the installation you should have the EFI folder in the root of your HDD.
- Go in EFI/CLOVER and replace the config.plist with yours.
- In EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched copy your DSDT
- In EFI/CLOVER/kexts create a folder named 10.10
- In EFI/CLOVER/themes put the SGR folder

Kexts:
- Unzip "Kexts" and "Kext Wizard" on the desktop. Right click on "FakeSMC.kext" / Show content, go in Contents/Plugins and copy in this folder the "Marvell88E8056.kext" (You should repeat this procedure every time you install a new Fakesmc). Others file in this folder are for HWMonitor, in every case they won't harm your system.
- Launch Kext Wizard, in Installation chose your HDD, flag to install in System/Library/Extension and drag and drop JMicron36xATA.kext, LegacyJMB36xSATA.kext and the patched FakeSMC.kext and install. Now in maintenance perform "Repair permission" and "Rebuild cache".

Edit:
- Found is better to simply put the kext in the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 folder.
No need to copy "Marvell88E8056.kext" in "FakeSMC.kext".
- For those who adopted the old procedure: copy the kexts in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10, delete those in S/L/E, rebuild cache and restart.
- It is mandatory to set "Inject Kexts" to Yes (or Detect) in config.plist

- Always disconnected from the internet reboot from your HDD (Booting with clover is slightly slower than with Chameleon/Chimera). Launch "IOJones" and in the upper Left chose "IODeviceTree" than click on "platform" and in the right field scroll to find your "system-id". If you find it, it means that it is allright and take note of the number.
Launch "imessage_debug" and control that "IOPlatformSerialNumber" is the same as your serial number, ROM value should be 6 Bytes long (12 hexadecimal digits)and should correspond to the last 6 bytes (12 hexadecimal digits) of the system-id, MLB correspond to your "Board serial number". If you have performed the right steps configuring Clover it should be allright. (Those who are doing an upgrade should also control that IOPlatformUUID is the same as in Mavericks). Save a copy of the output on the desktop (Terminal/Shell Export text). You can get rid of verbose boot; Launch "Clover configurator", open your config.plist, in boot uncheck "verbose", save the file and reboot.
With "imessage_debug" control that parameters are always the same. If so we're almost done.

Audio:
- Unzip "AD1988b Patch", launch HDAWizard and install the patches for AD1988B (Take a clue from the attached image; It will also backup a copy of the original AppleHDA on the desktop, put it in a safe place for every eventuality). Repair permissions.
Control that in "System information" "ethernet" is "en0" (If no, you should to get rid of this issue)and in that case plug your ethernet cable and reboot.
Open "System Preferences" "Audio"; in Sound effects check all, and configure output and input for your system. Remember that if you are using digital output or HDMI you have no volume control. Log in iCloud, iTunes, Facetime etc...
That's all.

Note: If you have problems with iMessage and Facetime read the guide of "jaymonkey".
EDIT: It would seem that Apple has relaxed the stricter MLB verification checks that were introduced in late Nov & early Dec 2014. This seems to be a result of the recently introduced two factor authentication for iMessage. So if you have performed the steps in the guide you should be able to connect without problems.

Note 2: Performed the 10.10.2 combo update. All is working fine, you have only to reapply the Audio patch

hi flicka, thanks for your guide. I have a P5KE WIFI AP motherboard. I have tried your guide. My question is do you boot into the new Yosemite installation as EFI or UEFI?

hi flicka, thanks for your guide. I have a P5KE WIFI AP motherboard. I have tried your guide. My question is do you boot into the new Yosemite installation as EFI or UEFI?
You can boot only legacy with this MB, no UEFI. You can only choose to install Clover in the EFI partition or in the root of your HDD. I've chosen the second one because it seems to boot quicker.
I added the note in the section "Clover install"

P.S.
Please let me know if the guide is understandable, especially if there is some mistake, so I can improve it

Thanks again for the guide.

The problem I'm having is that the config.plist doesn't load when booting in EFI. It seems I can edit the config.plist, but I cannot make the changes happen during boot.

I'm trying to fix the ethernet = En2 right now.

Otherwise system has internet, sound, DVD player, sleep, wakes, etc. Airport type card working.

Thanks again for the guide.

The problem I'm having is that the config.plist doesn't load when booting in EFI. It seems I can edit the config.plist, but I cannot make the changes happen during boot.

I'm trying to fix the ethernet = En2 right now.

Otherwise system has internet, sound, DVD player, sleep, wakes, etc. Airport type card working.

If you have installed chameleon in the EFI partition control that it is formatted in FAT32, I've chosen to install it in the root.
For ethernet follow the guide of "jaymonkey" about the fix of iMessage. Perhaps is better to uninstall the wifi card, reinstalling i when ethernet is working and seen as en0. Better if you avoid to use bluetooth too till ethernet is en0.
I will try to see if I can find a workaround to this issue, due to the fact that Yosemite does not see the network card during the first start , because there are still no kext.

Everything working perfect.

En2 was simple, like you say, just remove airport card.

It would be nice to fix that problem before first boot, and I'm wondering if its possible.

Its my fault for not understanding how clover works. I probably should have become more familar with each step, before starting.

My old P5KE WIFI AP is working great. Thanks again for your great guide.

Hi flicka I have a machine like yours z77e-itx, can you help me install clover on it please? Can you post how you do-it?

Thanks

I replied in the thread of Giacomoleopardo, saying to follow his guide, but I did not realize you needed help about Clover. Let's do this, redo the request here, in the thread of buckeyes for Asrock Z77E-ITX.http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-builds/73451-asrock-z77e-itx-core-i7-3770k-evga-gtx-570hd-65.html
so any solutions will also be useful to other.

I replied in the thread of Giacomoleopardo, saying to follow his guide, but I did not realize you needed help about Clover. Let's do this, redo the request here, in the thread of buckeyes for Asrock Z77E-ITX.http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-builds/73451-asrock-z77e-itx-core-i7-3770k-evga-gtx-570hd-65.html
so any solutions will also be useful to other.

Thanks flicka I'll see the guide and post any questions in that thread. I want to try clover bu I need some guidance and after I'll do a post explaing all. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back