Contribute
Register

P55M-UD4, Core i5, GTX 260, Safe mode only...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all GA-P55M-UD4 and similar owners. Here is my log of my *complete idiots* *stubbornly speedstep enabled* way of getting os x to work:

Here are the core specs:

P55M-UD4
Core i5 750 - turbo on, speedstep on, stock speeds, hpet 64bit, ahci, floppy disabled.
4gb gskill ripjaws
896mb gtx 260 BFG, 216 core version
Dlink 552 wireless abgn (Atheros)

Updated:

Fresh install with tonymac iso with DSDT-GA-P55M-UD2-9400GT-Corei5750-SpeedStep.aml loaded inside preboot.dmg

Needed to use -x to load installer and subsequently -x to load 10.6.0 from hdd.

Copied boot, DSDT.aml, Extra to root directory from tonymac iso.

Immediately updated to 10.6.2 - Remove GraphicsEnabler=Yes, and will boot without cd and supports QE/CI.

Graphics card is recognized as 9400GT as tony's dsdt has it hard coded. The sound doesn't work either.

Wireless card is being left alone -- causes KP with core i5 i7 procs and nukes the installation -- Leave it alone for now!

OUTSTANDING ISSUES:

Enable sound
Proper graphics card identification
*Wireless

I struggle with the DSDT side of things. If anyone can explain where to change dsdt to fit the 260 as opposed to 9400 gt that would be a huge start. Same goes for audio.

OLDMethod:

I was able to load the installer in SAFE MODE -x using the vanilla tonymac iso with the DSDT-GA-P55M-UD2-9400GT-Corei5750-SpeedStep.aml dropped into preboot.img

Installed great, and am able to use tonymac iso to bootload from the hard drive [clarification: still SAFE MODE only].

Installed realtek and NV Enabler kexts as per instructions

Problems:

Reboots every time I try to run straight from hdd with or without safe mode.

I can roll back changes obviously or try different DSDT files, but i'm clueless as to what to try at this point. I tried taking the vanilla P55M-UD4 DSDT Device PCI0 section and replaced the 9400gt jargon. NVEnabler throws a couple hundred debug lines and stops loading in verbose mode.

Could anyone suggest 1. boot.plist 2. dsdt setup 3. proper kext setup?? Would be really helpful! TIA

Whenever I try to run DSDTSE a process called ioreg goes 100% and it never loads. After a few attempts i have all cores maxed out and have to shut er off lol!!

Any chance you could try with the P55-UD4P DSDT? As the two boards are more similar in terms of features than the P55M-UD2.
Also make sure you upgrade to the latest beta BIOS as it seems to add better Snow Leopard compatibility.
And did you install the 10.6.2 update? As without it you can't run in 64-bit mode.

Update:

Installed 10.6.2 in safe mode via usb key. Copied DSDT, Boot.plist (edited paths to make it native for hdd), set GraphicsEnabler=No, from my previously mentioned tonymac iso and was able to boot without the cd and no issues! Got QE/CI out of box.

It was showing 9400 GT boot rom still, so I still need to figure out how to make my DSDT more native. Anyways, low priority.

Next:

Got greedy and installed atherosfix.kext for dlink 552 atheros chipset wifi-n card. KP, as soon as I tried to connect: as indicated here http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.6.2#Wireless

Winding it back for now.

Remaining:

-Sound
-Network

I'm curious- have you tried this DSDT for the P55M-UD4? Your board uses the ALC889a spec, not the ALC888b spec like the UD2- that's why you don't have audio.

Public/DSDT-GA-P55M-UD4.aml

Public/HDEF%20Pack%20-%20ALC%20889a.zip

Also, if your P55M is anything like mine, the beta bios will enable audio with the 10.6.2 AppleHDA combined with that DSDT. If you want i5 speedstep, add the code from the beginning of the DSDT (UD2) you are using to this one.

Good luck! Want to make sure the P55M-UD4 works as good as the P55M-UD2! :ugeek:

matix, I was able to enable sound by editing the DSDT.aml for the P55M-UD4 as per tonymac's guide. I also used the AppleHDA.kext from the boot cd and the LegacyHDA.kext found here.

tonymacx86 said:
Also, if your P55M is anything like mine, the beta bios will enable audio with the 10.6.2 AppleHDA combined with that DSDT.

So tony, just to clarify, with the latest beta bios, I wouldn't have to use the LegacyAudio.kext? And will it work using the AppleHDA you provided on the boot cd, or does it have to use the vanilla AppleHDA from 10.6.2?

cheers?

06spike12 said:
matix, I was able to enable sound by editing the DSDT.aml for the P55M-UD4 as per tonymac's guide. I also used the AppleHDA.kext from the boot cd and the LegacyHDA.kext found here.

tonymacx86 said:
Also, if your P55M is anything like mine, the beta bios will enable audio with the 10.6.2 AppleHDA combined with that DSDT.

So tony, just to clarify, with the latest beta bios, I wouldn't have to use the LegacyAudio.kext? And will it work using the AppleHDA you provided on the boot cd, or does it have to use the vanilla AppleHDA from 10.6.2?

cheers?

With the latest bios, you should only have to use the LegacyHDA kext in /Extra/Extensions and the 10.6.2 vanilla AppleHDA.kext (in System/Library/Extensions by default). You won't need the AppleHDA from the boot cd at all.

Public/10.6.2%20AppleHDA.kext.zip

OK so you are basically saying the following is the most refined way:

1. Upgrade to p55m-ud4 bios F7c (Beta)
2. Use tony's p55m-ud4 dsdt (OR have to patch this again anyway????)
3. LegacyHDA kext in /Extra/Extensions ONLY

Atheros keeps nuking my install... I sure hope 10.6.3 has a fix for atheros cards...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back