2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I am looking at purchasing one of two motherboards. I had initially decided to purchase a Gigabyte X58A board, but my budget was cut and I am looking to save a little bit of money.

The question I have is, what are the performance differences between an X58A board and a P55A? I have looked on Newegg and the price difference is about $70 less for the P55 board. If I purchased the P55, I would also purchase a less expensive i5 processor instead of the i7. How much of a difference would I see in buying the less expensive of the two?

The P55A board is a GA-P55A-UD3 and the X58A board is the GA-X58A-UD3R. My main usage for the machine will be gaming and multimedia, specifically World of Warcraft.

Rakuun said:
The question I have is, what are the performance differences between an X58A board and a P55A?
Basically, zero.

IMO, the only reasons why you'd want the X58 are:
- More than 16GB RAM,
- Insanely priced CPUs (i7-970/980X),
- Faster PCIe.

I have looked on Newegg and the price difference is about $70 less for the P55 board. If I purchased the P55, I would also purchase a less expensive i5 processor instead of the i7. How much of a difference would I see in buying the less expensive of the two?
The Hyperthreading of the i7 is definitely noticeable (I have both an i7-860 and an i5-750).

Not sure about gaming, but for multimedia (video editing/encoding ?), I'd definitely go with a P55 + i7.

Good Luck !
Lnx2Mac

I won't need more than 16GB of ram, even that much is excessive for my needs. I will be using one graphics card so I will not need more than one 16x PCIe slot.

I suppose I can use the money saved on the motherboard to get an i7 CPU. As far as graphics, what is one of the better supported gaming cards? I do not need a bleeding edge and horrendously expensive card, but I would like very good performance in World of Warcraft with the settings on maximum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back