Graphics
Gigabyte 5700XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Wondering if anyone is using the OWC USB-C Dock (or thunderbolt Dock) successfully. I have two USB-C ports and thunderbolt ports and would like to add easy-access USB-A or USB-C ports and card reader port to my Catalina desktop.

@scottkendall are you using thunderbolt or usb-c?

I can not say about OWC but a decent amount of people are using cal digit docks. I have one with two HDMI and one usb3.0 and one usb 2.0. Both videos work.

Wondering if anyone is using the OWC USB-C Dock (or thunderbolt Dock) successfully. I have two USB-C ports and thunderbolt ports and would like to add easy-access USB-A or USB-C ports and card reader port to my Catalina desktop.
I'm using an OWC USB-C dock on MyHero II successfully.

I can not say about OWC but a decent amount of people are using cal digit docks. I have one with two HDMI and one usb3.0 and one usb 2.0. Both videos work.

I'm using the CalDigit dock on my Macbook Pro 2016 and it works well enough for me. Charges at 87w. I haven't managed to get the DisplayPort to work though, but it might be because I'm using a QHD monitor. Might work better with a 1080p monitor. I haven't investigated too deeply yet. YMMV.

I don't have a lot of faith in the OWC docks, mainly because I got burned by their Thunderbolt 2 ones. I bought eight to equip on some iMac 2015 workstations at work a few years ago, and only three still work today. The USB ports also start going weird if you place a cellphone nearby one (not kidding -- OWC even confirmed this is a known issue), which is nasty if you've got external drives plugged into it. Also, on some units the headphone jack's left/right channels are flipped. Quality control was definitely lacking on these.

Hopefully OWC's Thunderbolt 3 docks are better, but they look like they're built by the same OEM that made the Thunderbolt 2 model, so I'd be a bit apprehensive.

Last edited:
I'm using the CalDigit dock on my Macbook Pro 2016 and it works well enough for me. Charges at 87w. I haven't managed to get the DisplayPort to work though, but it might be because I'm using a QHD monitor. Might work better with a 1080p monitor. I haven't investigated too deeply yet. YMMV.

My wife's company gave her a MacBook Air with the dock I tested it on my Hack and both HDIM ports work @ the same time on two Samsung 27" 4k UHD monitors. I can not say anything about the DP not working with your Mac book air though it should just plug and play. If it was a Hack I would tell you to make sure you were feeding the Thunderbolt card from your GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back