Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. LC
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Is there an overview of hardware tests anywhere? I'm having a problem with random restarts, and think I need to check memory, graphics card etc etc. I've downloaded Memtest for the memory side of things, but what about everything else? If information on all the necessary tools could be put into one sticky post, it would be hugely useful. If this already exists, apologies, but please point me towards it because I can't find it.

I have a machine that is has quite suddenly become subject to random restarts. One moment everything is working, then black screen and the system is rebooting. This happened almost overnight, and without any changes to system settings etc. To me, that suggests a hardware issue. I have now run Memtest successfully and the memory gets a completely clean bill of health. I now need to test the GPU; the power supply; the processor and the motherboard. Most of the tools I can find online are Windows based and I don't have Windows, only mac. So, if anyone could point me towards the various tools that help in such a situation I'd be grateful.

I also still think it would be great to have a page somewhere with the tools listed and rated and explained, to help myself and others.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back