Graphics
Intel HD3000+AMD 6770m
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Override EDID
Forcing the display information, with the right ones

New!
Installer for notebooks, attached

If you have problems with your monitor, such as incorrect resolution,artifacts, and freez, problems with the Dock that stopped, and the system that nails can be a useful groped to edit your Custom Override files.
This as you will find written on the Microsoft link, you need to force your system to use the data requirements of your display, if possible, with the original factory
file.php

I personally have found the opportunity to fix the display, on 8 March 2012, when the user Flashe, gave me the opportunity to enter in his Hackintosh by remote Teamviewer .
Its display showed in System Preferences, the name of the supplier of his display: very strange!
he had edited a file in System/Library/Overrides, to make it appear that the name he had edited himself. After a little research I found a guide on insanlynac (Credit for this to user CharredPC ).

That said, so now we will see, how to fix LCD / TV / external monitor etc..
So nothing new but very useful

This is the guide read from CharredPC:

(see the values ??(colored) are mine for example! Edit your file with your own)

Get PlistEdit Pro.app

Go to System/Library/Displays/Overrides, and take a random folder ( only one file in it). Copy on Desktop.

Open Terminal and the execute command

ioreg -lw0 > ~/Desktop/ioregSaved.txt

This will create the file ioregSaved.txt on your desktop.

Now to start, open ioregSaved.txt and use "search" for this information:

search "IODisplayEDID"

like this:
"IODisplayEDID" = <00ffffffffffff004ca354330000000000120103802615780a859599574f8f2 ........ etc.

copy the HEX to text files, we will need later.

Search "DisplayVendorID"

"DisplayVendorID" = 19619
take note of the value

Search "DisplayProductID"

like this:
"DisplayProductID" = 13140
take note of the value

Search "IODisplayPrefsKey"
like this:
"IODisplayPrefsKey" = "IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/IGPU@2/AppleIntelFramebuffer@1/display0/AppleBacklightDisplay-4ca3-3354"

take note of the color values

Now we can edit our custom file

To begin with we need to rename the folder (which we first copied to the Desktop):

DisplayVendorID-xxxx

we must add the value to be taken (follow the colors)
"IODisplayPrefsKey" = "IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/IGPU@2/AppleIntelFramebuffer@1/display0/AppleBacklightDisplay-4ca3-3354"

to make it so

DisplayVendorID-4ca3

now we have to rename the file that is inside:

from this:

DisplayProductID-xxxx

to this (follow the colors):

DisplayProductID-3354

Now, we must open the file you just renamed, with PlistEdit Pro, and we have to change for all as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>DisplayProductID</key>
<integer>13140</integer>
<key>DisplayProductName</key>
<string>Internal LCD</string>
<key>DisplayVendorID</key>
<integer>19619</integer>
<key>IODisplayEDID</key>
<data>
AP///////wBMo1QzAAAAAAASAQOAJhV4CoWVmVdPjyYhUFQAAAABAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEB
AQEBHCpATGGEHjAwICUAftcQAAAZAAAADwAAAAAAAAAAAC76BngAAAAA/gBTQU1TVU5H
CiAgICAgAAAA/gAxNzNLVDAxLUswMQogAEs=

</data>
</dict>
</plist>

we just have to copy the values??, and their keys, we noted a moment ago.
Data for <key> IODisplayEDID </ key> should be copied on top of PlistEdit Pro, make sure you give the flag "Automatically sync text"

in
<key> DisplayProductName </ key>
<string> Internal LCD </ string>

instead of "Internal LCD" you can write whatever you want

important:
the file must have no extension

file.php

Place your custom EDID file in System/Library/Displays/Overrides repair permissions and reboot (with Disk Utility)!

I enclose my file as an example, do not use for any of you!
Everyone must do his "personal" (for specific Monitor)

Obviously not assure you that will be able to solve all the problems of "artifacts"

also because the things he had @Flashe on her desktop, they were really serious,
but still are not sure if they were really artifacts!!

Surely, this is a refinement:

even if it does not solve your problems with graphics, at least you know that your display is OK!

CharredPC credit, from insanlynac
---------------------------------------------------
NOTE:

Data for IODisplayEDID' ioreg -l dump, could be equally incorrect.
The solution can also be found, making the EDID dump under Windows:
with a program like Moninfo.exe EnTech Taiwan | Utilities | Monitor Asset Manager, you can dump full display info and find the HEX, in RAW DATA.

This link, for more information on Override EDID, and why do :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows ... e/gg487330

My edited file (only for example, rewrite the data for you)
download/file.php?id=25089

A bad file, it can cause the loss of your display,
Be sure to log back to your OSX, first, to delete the bad files

Installer Only for Notebooks here:

EDID Notebook Installer 1.0.zip

thanks to philip_petev who created the script to automate the process!
This is the vesion 1.0, considered as beta,
use only with Laptops, and disconnect the external monitor during installation!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Micky!

Your method didn't work directly, but I adapted your method and patched my EDID with another similar vendor's EDID configuration to resolve all issues I had with my HD3000 display! I've documented the process in the Graphics sub-forum.

Great work!

Cheers
jkbuha

jkbuha said:
Thanks Micky!

Your method didn't work directly, but I adapted your method and patched my EDID with another similar vendor's EDID configuration to resolve all issues I had with my HD3000 display! I've documented the process in the Graphics sub-forum.

Great work!

Cheers
jkbuha

A couple of months ago, I tried to insert data even <device-properties> on o.c.b.p, using EFIStudio, was fine too. In fact I had very few artifacts from that time, but still did not understand the importance at that moment! The artifacts were not completely disappeared, but few and far apart in time. I thought it was related to the video card Power States (many personalities in video PowerManagement' kext).

Some say, that helped for the good work of the video card, in some forums (better to find the door, but not really knowing why)

Have you noticed if your EDID data, are like to dump from Windows?

I believe that the guidance should be improved, the testimonies of all can help

Thanks to you, but the merit is not mine :lol:

Micky1979 said:
jkbuha said:
Thanks Micky!

Your method didn't work directly................
jkbuha

A couple of months ago, I tried to.................
If useful, to intercept the right Vendor / Model
you can use System Preferences/Displays/Color/Profile, and search mmod
and see what is using our display (thanks Flashe)

Attachments

• mmod.tiff
    140 KB · Views: 2,363
Micky1979 said:

EDID is the same for OSX and Windows - which leads me to believe that the EDID may be incorrect or the HD3000 kext is ultra-sensitive. One thing I noticed with the new EDID is that I don't have the option to select refresh rates anymore - maybe the refresh rate option was a symptom (or a cause) of the lockups.

Device-Properties was also tried before, but never worked (I never managed to successfully change EDID settings via org.Boot or DSDT). At least it's working now with this method :)

jkbuha said:
Micky1979 said:

EDID is the same for OSX and Windows - which leads me to believe that the EDID may be incorrect or the HD3000 kext is ultra-sensitive. One thing I noticed with the new EDID is that I don't have the option to select refresh rates anymore - maybe the refresh rate option was a symptom (or a cause) of the lockups.

Device-Properties was also tried before, but never worked (I never managed to successfully change EDID settings via org.Boot or DSDT). At least it's working now with this method :)

The right frequency, is included in the HEX string.
Having the same thing on OSX and Windows I think is the best :headbang:

I think your display is now very full work (or the least of your problems) :D

For the efi string, i read that is sometimes ignored by OSX, however we have edited the file that can also serve for the future ..... ;)

this is well organized work of guide.. this really works on my DV6 1105ee on lion 10.7.2 up to 10.7.4 with garbled display but now all working with my internal LCD..

[VIDEO]

thanks and keep up the good work :)

br
freddy

edited: just added a video shot.. am so happy after 2 months of searching and finally finished..

I'm happy for you :thumbup:

really cool, Lotsawater screensawer!

Micky1979 said:

For the efi string, i read that is sometimes ignored by OSX, however we have edited the file that can also serve for the future ..... ;)

Actually, it's normal to get the same thing on Windows and OSX, if the display's EEPROM data is correctly flashed. And this statement:

Micky1979 said:
with a program like Moninfo.exe http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm, you can dump full display info and find the HEX, in RAW DATA.

is not so true. I think the data for IODisplayEDID is as correct (or incorrect) as the data, dumped in Windows. I made a little research and found that OSX and Windows got the EDID information from the EEPROM directly. According to this document:

All display devices (monitors, projectors, and televisions), analog or digital, must supply Extended Display Identification Data (EDID), which is stored in the monitor's EEPROM. Sometimes during manufacturing, incorrect or incomplete EDID might be flashed on the EPROM. Such EDIDs can lead to problems such as setting incorrect display modes.

This paper describes how monitor manufacturers can avoid reflashing the monitor's EEPROM by implementing a monitor INF that overrides part of, or the entire, EDID information in software. This white paper describes how to implement such an INF.

if there is incorrect or incomplete EDID information stored in the EEPROM, you will get the same wrong values on both Windows and OSX. But for one thing you are right:

Micky1979 said:

philip_petev said:
Micky1979 said:

Actually, it's normal to get the same thing on Windows and OSX, if the display's EEPROM data is correctly flashed. And this statement:

Micky1979 said:
with a program like Moninfo.exe http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm, you can dump full display info and find the HEX, in RAW DATA.

is not so true. I think the data for IODisplayEDID is as correct (or incorrect) as the data, dumped in Windows. I made a little research and found that OSX and Windows got the EDID information from the EEPROM directly. According to this document:

All display devices (monitors, projectors, and televisions), analog or digital, must supply Extended Display Identification Data (EDID), which is stored in the monitor's EEPROM. Sometimes during manufacturing, incorrect or incomplete EDID might be flashed on the EPROM. Such EDIDs can lead to problems such as setting incorrect display modes.

This paper describes how monitor manufacturers can avoid reflashing the monitor's EEPROM by implementing a monitor INF that overrides part of, or the entire, EDID information in software. This white paper describes how to implement such an INF.

if there is incorrect or incomplete EDID information stored in the EEPROM, you will get the same wrong values on both Windows and OSX. But for one thing you are right:

Micky1979 said:
Then, just do nothing?

I said in "Windows", because OEM manufacturer may make changes to the EEPROM using the display INF files (stored in registry, and Overriding it), having a Branding...or to be sure, that is the original or the right one (It may be possible that INF had data as the original in the EEPROM)

INF files, is file for Override the display EEPROM in Windows:

OSX does not read key from Regedit.exe, and If EEPROM is corrupt, OSx what to do? (.....apply a generic 717 files)

If there is no INF files, Windows and OSX read the same thing.

I think if Manufacturer has created INF, had to fix anything....or to be sure

Doing this,
assumes you have problems with Dislplay, otherwise do nothing, because if all goes well not notice the difference!
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back