Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming K3
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi, I have a GA-Z87X-UD5H, i7 cpu, 16Gb mem and 250Gb SSD. I was changing a film I have on the PC from a MPG to a MKV, I do this if the file is over 6Gb as the MPG will not play on the TV from external HD, it only plays MKV. So I convert the file using Xilisoft Video Converter, only 50% through the file the HW Monitor show the temperature going to 84C, so I pause the video for 10mins and start again only to pause again, is this normal, I have 4 fans other than the CPU fan, does anyone have an answer, cheers dirtwegy.

You should check which hardware is overheating (I suppose your CPU is) and have a good look at your airflow. Of course, this depends on which case you have but 4 fans is enough for most cases. Do you use the stock CPU cooler?

It sometimes happens that your CPU cooler loses contact with your CPU due to one of the pins popping out of its hole if you use a stock one. You could check if this has happend. If so, you should clean both your cooler and the processor and apply thermal paste before replacing the cooler. A new CPU cooler might be an option as well if you want better cooling in general.

Hi Thij, the cpu is overheating, it's a i7 4771, I have a stock fan fitted, which fan would you recommend....

Hi Thij, the cpu is overheating, it's a i7 4771, I have a stock fan fitted, which fan would you recommend....

Well, I think the best option for you probably is to buy a new, better, CPU cooler. Especially if you stress your PC that much and want to prevent hardware issues. Though which one you choose is totally up to you. Do some research. Water / air cooling, cheap / expensive, best cooling performance or the most quietest... All things that you should take into consideration before buying one. Personally I do not have any experience with water cooling and air coolers are doing just fine for me. And last but not least, measure the space you have left for a CPU cooler! Don't neglect this. You won't be the first one with a case that can not be closed anymore. :D

Thanks Thij, I will have to think of space, I'v set it all up in a power mac G4 case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back