Intel HD3000 / Radeon 7470M
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi, although everything is working perfectly, I have 2 issues:

- Overheating. It will boot at around 50 Celsius, but my work is pretty intensive, so after a while it reaches up to 90 Celsius. At around 80 degrees, it will start going extremely slow, and at 90 it freezes completely, so I have to use the Power button to turn it off and on again. Fan seems to be working properly, and I have also recently cleaned it with the blower.
- Graphic Glitches - I have installed over and over the Graphic Glitch Fix from the Tegezee's latest Probook Installer, but I still have them. I have them from beginning of my work, and as the temperatures go high it goes worse. I'm actually having more issues with it in Mountain Lion than in Lion 10.7.4. I also tried Fan Control, and SwitchResX, nothing seems to work.

The other thing I was wondering, is that with clean install and no installation of Probook Installer or kexts, both Intel HD 3000 and Radeon 7470M are recognized in System Information (although Radeon shows up as 6870M instead of 7470M). After running the Probook Installer, there's no info on the Radeon at all, and instead of the "Intel HD 3000 Mobile" info, I get the "Intel HD 3000" info in System Information.

If anybody can explain why this is happening, and if can kindly provide some solutions, I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

Hi, although everything is working perfectly, I have 2 issues:

- Overheating. It will boot at around 50 Celsius, but my work is pretty intensive, so after a while it reaches up to 90 Celsius. At around 80 degrees, it will start going extremely slow, and at 90 it freezes completely, so I have to use the Power button to turn it off and on again. Fan seems to be working properly, and I have also recently cleaned it with the blower.
- Graphic Glitches - I have installed over and over the Graphic Glitch Fix from the Tegezee's latest Probook Installer, but I still have them. I have them from beginning of my work, and as the temperatures go high it goes worse. I'm actually having more issues with it in Mountain Lion than in Lion 10.7.4. I also tried Fan Control, and SwitchResX, nothing seems to work.

The other thing I was wondering, is that with clean install and no installation of Probook Installer or kexts, both Intel HD 3000 and Radeon 7470M are recognized in System Information (although Radeon shows up as 6870M instead of 7470M). After running the Probook Installer, there's no info on the Radeon at all, and instead of the "Intel HD 3000 Mobile" info, I get the "Intel HD 3000" info in System Information.

If anybody can explain why this is happening, and if can kindly provide some solutions, I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

if you google the web and support forums, many users of the probook 4x30s have complained about the fan noise, possibly related to defect parts - eg cheapest provider they could get - anything between the cpu heatsink to the cpu fan. bit different on the elitebooks though, similar specs and design layout, but they seem to be much quieter even when doing cpu/gpu intensive stuff.

Hi, thanks for your input, but the noise of the fan I don't mind at all.

It's the overheating that I mind, which I didn't have when I was using Windows.

My BIOS is also F20, and like I mentioned, fan is fine, it increases speed when temperature increases (5000 rpm and more), but still the system is freezing because it reaches to 90 degrees.

Does copying just the FanReset file to Extra/modules will do it? or do I have to do the whole process with DSDT?

Because not only I don't have Windows or Linux, it also looks too complicated to be done.

You could use my fan DSDT and associated software to make your fan turn on sooner at lower temperatures in an attempt to keep it cool. You should follow the instructions for installing the whole package, detailed in this post: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/72043-new-fan-control-dsdt-silent-fan-higher-temps.html

Doing only the Fanreset.dylib part will not help you.

But instead of using the FTAB that I provide which starts the fan at low speed at 40C, you should probably modify the entire table to turn the fan on earlier and more aggressively throughout the temperature ranges. I think you'll find it not that complex... it is easy to download and create an Ubuntu USB stick. Just work through the DSDT process step by step.

In addition, using a proper DSDT built from your laptop may fix your other issues, like the glitches. I have no glitches and I'm not running any "glitch fix" software. My theory is that this is due to using my own patched DSDT. I could be wrong, but it is worth a try for you.

But on your overheating... It is rather strange to have that happening with the default fan behavior. I would look at a couple of things: 1) check your heatsink to be sure it is appropriately attached to the CPU and has good contact with good thermal compound, and 2) check to see if you have lots of background tasks inappropriately using CPU resources (use Activity Monitor)

You could use my fan DSDT and associated software to make your fan turn on sooner at lower temperatures in an attempt to keep it cool. You should follow the instructions for installing the whole package, detailed in this post: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/72043-new-fan-control-dsdt-silent-fan-higher-temps.html

Doing only the Fanreset.dylib part will not help you.

But instead of using the FTAB that I provide which starts the fan at low speed at 40C, you should probably modify the entire table to turn the fan on earlier and more aggressively throughout the temperature ranges. I think you'll find it not that complex... it is easy to download and create an Ubuntu USB stick. Just work through the DSDT process step by step.

In addition, using a proper DSDT built from your laptop may fix your other issues, like the glitches. I have no glitches and I'm not running any "glitch fix" software. My theory is that this is due to using my own patched DSDT. I could be wrong, but it is worth a try for you.

But on your overheating... It is rather strange to have that happening with the default fan behavior. I would look at a couple of things: 1) check your heatsink to be sure it is appropriately attached to the CPU and has good contact with good thermal compound, and 2) check to see if you have lots of background tasks inappropriately using CPU resources (use Activity Monitor)

Ok, I will try it out this weekend and see how it goes.

I checked Activity Monitor, nothing out of the ordinary there.

Thanks.

You can use disableturboboost.kext to disable turbo boost.

You can use disableturboboost.kext to disable turbo boost.

You could also disable turbo boost or even "underclock" the CPU a bit by using a modified ssdt.aml.

But I'm not sure of the wisdom of doing this. In theory, if you purchased a machine with an i5 instead of an i3, you did so because you need the extra performance an i5 offers...

You could also disable turbo boost or even "underclock" the CPU a bit by using a modified ssdt.aml.

But I'm not sure of the wisdom of doing this. In theory, if you purchased a machine with an i5 instead of an i3, you did so because you need the extra performance an i5 offers...

Yeah, I would leave that as a last resort if all else fails, but yeah, the reason I purchased an i5 is because I couldn't afford an i7. :geek:
And if I had enough money, I would definitely buy a Macbook Pro, so that I can work on a Mountain Lion without these frustrations. But that's a future thing.

For now, I'm in love with my Probook, it's been treating me very good, just need to fix these rather important issues, so I can do my work, without the unexpected freezes.

Thanks to all of you for all your help. I will post back for results as soon as I do your procedure of patching my DSDT.

Ok, apparently my brain is not doing so good lately (2 small babies and a strict diet). :lol:
I tried making the Ubuntu Live USB (using unetbootin), can't boot to it, and furthermore, now BIOS is saying that it doesn't find an operating system so cannot boot. As tricky as it was going past that BIOS error, it reaches to the point of saying Boot Device not found (or missing), so now I can only boot through the Unibeast Installer USB.

I think I will not be able to manage to patch the DSDT myself (as foolish as it sounds), so what I'm thinking to do is making another clean install (that would be the 3rd one this week).

Now, this time, I would like to skip installing Probook Installer, and start experimenting little bit, because some things are working better without it I think. My question is, is there a way to make Atheros WiFi work, without installing anything else at first, so I can at least have Internet, while trying to make things work?

Forgive me for sounding foolish, this is not my week. :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back