Contribute
Register

overclocking with GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3, safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix H370 itx
CPU
i5-9400F
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi,

I have successfully managed to build an hackintosh with the guides here, so far I have:
processor: i5 2500k 3.30ghz
motherboard: GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3
graphics card: saphire 6870
cpu cooler: Arctic Freezer 13 PRO
memory: 8gb 1600mhz

So far I have a 11828 geekbench score.
I've made some attempts to overclock, messing with the bios, setting the cpu clock to 42x and using turbo boost but I don't think the mac part is getting those changes. (I can see them in windows).

I have some questions:
- what max temperature would be considered safe for the cpu. ie: 70c?
- did I choose a bad motherboard in the medium therm? will it handle the heat?
- will the cooler be able to handle this amount of overclock?
- if the case gets hot, is that a bad sign?

thanks in advance for any advice.
cheers

Hi,

I have successfully managed to build an hackintosh with the guides here, so far I have:

I've made some attempts to overclock, messing with the bios, setting the cpu clock to 42x and using turbo boost but I don't think the mac part is getting those changes. (I can see them in windows).

cheers

i think 3.3GHz, only correspond to around 12k 64bit geekbench score. OC isn't working mate.
my 2600k OC to 4.6 gets me around 15k score for 64bit.

do you have UEFI Bios?

uefi

UEFI: I think I do.

ok, I've updated chimera to the latest version and now the about mac and geekbench recognizes the 4.21 clock speed...
Although it only reached 11859 in geekbench so something is still off.
Anyway, my main doubts are still concerning if my hardware choices can pull this off.

UEFI: I think I do.

ok, I've updated chimera to the latest version and now the about mac and geekbench recognizes the 4.21 clock speed...
Although it only reached 11859 in geekbench so something is still off.
Anyway, my main doubts are still concerning if my hardware choices can pull this off.

try install HWmonitor to see what your actual multiplier and clk speed is at the peak.
i would seriously doubt u have what your bios has set to.

with UEFI, without DSDT or SSDT, my believes are u can't overclock, just like u can't overclock a macbook pro.
anyone please put me in the wrong. i wish to OC on a UEFI Gigabyte OSX

Hi,

I have some questions:

cheers
Does the Freezer 13 Pro block the RAM slots?

HWmonitor doesn't give correct multiplier and MHz readings. MSRDumper does. For the multiplier at least.

I got my overclocks working. I installed the i7-OC SSDT from multibeast (allows up to x42). In BIOS (F10) I've got all advanced CPU settings enabled, except for 'realtime OS control' which needs to be disabled. The highest setting I've had was x38 base and x38-x40-x41-x42 turbo ratios. That was running my CPU up to 95° so I tuned down to x36 base and up to x40 turbo till I get the stock cooler replaced by something stronger.

I got Geekbench 32bit score of 12767 with the x38/42 settings (please note that 4-core processes are running at x38 with this setting, not at x42).

See also: http://www.tonymacx86.com/overclock...-turbo-ratio-4-core-not-setable-i7-2600k.html

Screen Shot 2012-08-02 at 07.22.38.png

mine seems to display correctly.
with geekbench 16k score.2600K

Hi,

I have some questions:

cheers

70° is safe for the the CPU but anyway the system will probably crash before. Objective is to stay below 60°.
Your motherboard is OK, you have a very good cooler.
Try first under win7. Increase the base frequency up to crash and go a little down (cannot increase a lot around 104.5 is the max depanding on MOBO).
Decrease the speed of memory to avoid to test 2 overclocks the same time.
Increasing progessively the cpu ratio, increase a little bit the voltage when it is becoming unstable (check on intenet the max for i5 for not going over).
Keep the ratio 1 step below your max and redecrease the voltage to stay slightly over instabillity.
After adjust the memory (1.6V and check max ratio possible).
After you will manage os x (with SSDT... Z68 is more complicated than Z77).
Use Prime 95 to test stability (45 mn ok = Stable)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back