Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi All,

i plan to start my new build soon, but was wondering, ive chosen the gigabyte Z87MX-D3H as the board and as its fairly cheap i was worried about overclocking the 4770k, im thinking as in is the motherboard good enough for overclocking to around 4.3/4.4ghz? i plan on using a H80i for cooling.
[h=1][/h]cheers everyone

The board should work fine, but the Haswell CPUs, like the 4770K, are not so oc-friendly as the generations before.
Especially the heat will increase dramatically and even the H80i can have trouble to cool the 4770K.

The main reason is the bad thermal paste applied by Intel between the CPU and the heat spreader.

4,2GHz should be a achievable target. Higher clocks need better preparation like delidding the CPU and replacing the thermal paste.

You should also keep in mind: The range of variations of the 4770K is huge! You can get a very bad sample or a very good one.
So high clocks became also a gambling.

Thanks very much for your reply, was exactly what I needed to know :) think I'm gonna just have to brave it and go for the 4770k and hope I get one of the good ones.
Thanks again for the advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back