Contribute
Register

Overclocking a P55M-UD2 - Any thoughts or recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Blach
CPU
Blacjh
Graphics
fefe
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'd like to overclock my P55M-UD2 and I'm just wondering if I have to do anything to OSX to get it to work. Right now I have 10.6, W7, and Ubuntu on my Hackintosh so stress testing is no problem. I'll probably shoot for 3.4 to 3.5 GHz.

Also, any other recommendations? I already have a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 on my i5, so cooling is no problem.

Yea definitely. It'll only be 32bit thought because I'm not paying for 64bit geekbench. I'll also run some under windows.

I think you were looking for a suggestion anyway. Assuming you have PC3 12800 try this :)

CPU Clock Ratio..........................[20X]
CPU requency...........................3.60GHz(180x20)
Turbo Disabled

Base Clock (BCLK) Control................[Enabled]
BCLK Frequency ..........................[180]
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.)..........[Disabled]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD)...........[8.0]
Memory Frequency (MHz)...................1440
PCI Express Frequency (MHz)..............[100]

CPU Vcore..................1.225V.....[1.200V]
x Dynamic Vcore(DVID)..... +0.0000V...AUTO
QPI/VTT Voltage............1.100V.....[1.190V]

>>> MCH/ICH
PCH Core...................1.050V.....[1.120V]
CPU PLL....................1.800V.....[1.860V]

>>> DRAM
DRAM Voltage..............1.500v.....[1.660V]
DRAM Termination.........0.750v......[0.75V]
Ch-A Data VRef............0.750v.....[0.75V]
Ch-A Data VRef............0.750v.....[0.75V]
Ch-B Data VRef............0.750v.....[0.75V]
Ch-B Data VRef............0.750v.....[0.75V]

Great. I have a few questions though. What's your experience with turbo boot while oc'd? I know it's known to cause problems with a higher overclock like yours. Also, your board has load line calibration right? Does it work well while overclcoked? I've heard that it overvolts a little.

Evildemon989 said:
Great. I have a few questions though. What's your experience with turbo boot while oc'd? I know it's known to cause problems with a higher overclock like yours. Also, your board has load line calibration right? Does it work well while overclcoked? I've heard that it overvolts a little.

I've had Turbo running stable with 180 BCLK (4.32Ghz @ 24x), but I don't feel it's really worth it unless you're running 160 BCLK or lower. You just wind up having to up your voltages too high, but if you do use it keeping it on auto seems to be more stable than enabled. I've since upgraded to 8GB memory, so I can't hit quite as high of a clock as I could before aka I haven't messed with turbo much since.

I use LLC, but only because I'm sitting @ 1.2v. Most overclockers will suggest using it, but it depends on how high of voltage you're running imo. I'd head over to overclock.net if you're looking for more specifics. :)

I've had Turbo running stable with 180 BCLK (4.32Ghz @ 24x), but I don't feel it's really worth it unless you're running 160 BCLK or lower. You just wind up having to up your voltages too high, but if you do use it keeping it on auto seems to be more stable than enabled. I've since upgraded to 8GB memory, so I can't hit quite as high of a clock as I could before aka I haven't messed with turbo much since.
Yea, since I am going to be going for a lower overclock I'll experiment wth turbo a little.

I use LLC, but only because I'm sitting @ 1.2v. Most overclockers will suggest using it, but it depends on how high of voltage you're running imo. I'd head over to overclock.net if you're looking for more specifics. :)
Alright, I see. Thanks for your help!

So I just ran gb tests on my stock speed i5, and my downclocked RAM. Here's what I have. Why when I disabled EIST(IntelSpeedStep) in the BIOS do my benchs go under 3000? That's worse then my 2.16GHz dualcore macbook. Wouldn't it really go higher because it doesn't have to scale up and down for speedstep?

Attachments

• Geekbench EIST Disabled Stock.png
    Geekbench EIST Disabled Stock.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 532
  • Geekbench EIST Enabled Stock.png
    Geekbench EIST Enabled Stock.png
    78.3 KB · Views: 537
  • Geekbench Specs Stock.png
    Geekbench Specs Stock.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 557
Hey guys I just wanted to draw your attention to this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=64
as it speaks to some of your questions and the article I found suggests 3.2Ghz as being the sweet spot for the Core i5 750. From my experience overclocking my hackintosh has been very successful in 32 bit but can actually negate geekbench scores in 64 bit. I wouldn't push much past 2.88Ghz in 64 bit. Typically I run 2.88Ghz using Tony's speedstep DSDT with Turbo enabled and my ram at 1600Mhz. This delivers Geekbench scores right around 8,000 which I think is pretty good while not adding much thermal stress. Let me know your thoughts/experiences. :thumbup:

cbooty said:
Hey guys I just wanted to draw your attention to this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=64
as it speaks to some of your questions and the article I found suggests 3.2Ghz as being the sweet spot for the Core i5 750. From my experience overclocking my hackintosh has been very successful in 32 bit but can actually negate geekbench scores in 64 bit. I wouldn't push much past 2.88Ghz in 64 bit. Typically I run 2.88Ghz using Tony's speedstep DSDT with Turbo enabled and my ram at 1600Mhz. This delivers Geekbench scores right around 8,000 which I think is pretty good while not adding much thermal stress. Let me know your thoughts/experiences. :thumbup:
So I read the thread, but I still want to know why it goes down if speedstep is not enabled. That seems very strange, and since I'm aiming for 3.5 to 3.7 GHz, I'm not going to run with speedstep on. Really, the only way I will be able to tell if the CPU is better while overclocked without speedstep is to probably run a video encoding job and see how long it takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back