Contribute
Register

Overclocking a P55M-UD2 - Any thoughts or recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
rabbit74 said:
Just my 2 cents

Running GA-P55-UD3
i7-860

I just bumped the Base Clock from 133 to 150, RAM at 1200Mhz, and left everything else alone. Turbo enabled.

Runs fast, stable and cool temp with stock fan.

Lots of great info on this thread. Nice work guys.

rabbit
I've seen turbo been able to work stable at 3.2GHz before, although it needed a slight voltage increase. I suggest, if you haven't already, and you have 1066MHz RAM, that you bump the voltage on your RAM up a little. Then run memtest if you can. Make sure to stress test, because yes it will seem stable, but if it does make errors every now and then, it could possibly be when you are writing data to a disk, and that data may become corrupt. Anyways, thanks for the contribution. After I'm done running stress tests, and done running my benchmarks, I'm going to make a very long post about my findings! :D

I followed this overclocking guide and so far my system has been operating flawlessly.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2009/09/21/overclocking-intel-s-core-i5-750/5

Here's my Geekbench scores (64-bit)

screenshot20100222.png

Full Score
http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/221535

Jocelyn84 said:
You can probably hit 2000Mhz with 1.66v. Just about everyone with a P55 board owns those and have seen them hit 2k no problem. Assuming you want to OC to 4Ghz, I'd suggest 19x191.
You're testing all of this for stability right? :D
I have more questions for you. In the thread that I posted on overclockersclub.net, that guy recommended that I run a 1.25-1.35v for QPI. I have my QPI multiplier set at 32x, with a 170 blck(I don't have the exact MHz right now), and I saw that you were running 1.19v, so what do you recommend I run it? I just ran my CPU at a 1.15v VCore, and 1.17v for about 6-7 hours and no stress tests errors. I am thinking I should bump it up to 1.19v to be safe though.

Also, I saw you had .75v for all of the RAM voltages beside the DRAM Voltage setting. Are you running OC'd ram? When I change my DRAM Voltage all of the other RAM voltages go up or down in unison. They all stay at 1/2 of the DRAM Voltage. If I take it up to 1.56v for DRAM(What I have now) and put them all back to the stock .75v, would it be stable, and would you recommend it?

Also, what would you recommend for my PCH Core voltage, and CPU PLL Voltage? Right now the PCH voltage I have set at 1.80v I believe, and the CPU PLL Voltage at the same thing you have since I cannot bump it without going that high. Thanks!

Evildemon989 said:
I have more questions for you. In the thread that I posted on overclockersclub.net, that guy recommended that I run a 1.25-1.35v for QPI. I have my QPI multiplier set at 32x, with a 170 blck(I don't have the exact MHz right now), and I saw that you were running 1.19v, so what do you recommend I run it? I just ran my CPU at a 1.15v VCore, and 1.17v for about 6-7 hours and no stress tests errors. I am thinking I should bump it up to 1.19v to be safe though.

That's a low Vcore, and lower is never bad as I'm running 3.6Ghz @ 1.2v. I can hit 4Ghz at around 1.35v (+HIGH QPI/VTT due to using 8GB memory/all 4 dimms), but I feel its just not worth it 24/7. I still go back and forth between 3.6 w/o Turbo and 3.2 - > 3.84 w/Turbo.
Max Vcore is "supposedly" 1.35v according to Intel, but many argue 1.45v isn't a problem with proper cooling and others even say up to 1.55v is fine. Are you sure you didn't mean QPI/VTT with those 1.15-1.17v stats above? If you meant Vcore, then you got pretty lucky with that chip :D

As far as the QPI/VTT recommendations were for 4 GHZ, not 3.4 or 3.6, so @ your speeds 1.19 VTT is fine. It took me hours and hours of tweaking to get my settings, and it really depends on the chip you get as well as your MB. Some chips do great others are meh, so it just depends really. In other words, what works for my chip, might not work for yours and vice versa.

Evildemon989 said:
Also, I saw you had .75v for all of the RAM voltages beside the DRAM Voltage setting. Are you running OC'd ram? When I change my DRAM Voltage all of the other RAM voltages go up or down in unison. They all stay at 1/2 of the DRAM Voltage. If I take it up to 1.56v for DRAM(What I have now) and put them all back to the stock .75v, would it be stable, and would you recommend it?
Do you have XMP Profile enabled or disabled?? That's weird you can't manually set those memory voltages, but my guess would be its not an option on the UD2. Err I just looked @ your MB's manual and it seems you should be able to change those accordingly. As far as voltage, your memory can easily handle 1.65 (1.66), but if you want lower you're just going to have to try different things and test it. What you're proposing sounds fine to me.
I bought 2 sets of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220365 because it was $65.99 per set AR and its running @ 1800Mhz, so yes its overclocked a bit, but its running @ stock voltage. Don't feel bad btw, I'm pretty sufre it was a price mistake and there were only 8 sets available at the time lol.

Evildemon989 said:
Also, what would you recommend for my PCH Core voltage, and CPU PLL Voltage? Right now the PCH voltage I have set at 1.80v I believe, and the CPU PLL Voltage at the same thing you have since I cannot bump it without going that high. Thanks!

If you're stable with that, then its fine, but I really do recommend Intel Burn Test in addition to Prime 95. It finds errors faster and you can just run 10 passes @ Maximum.

Edit: Make sure your QPI/VTT is never more than .5v less than your DRAM Voltage.

Jocelyn84 said:
That's a low Vcore, and lower is never bad as I'm running 3.6Ghz @ 1.2v. I can hit 4Ghz at around 1.35v (+HIGH QPI/VTT due to using 8GB memory/all 4 dimms), but I feel its just not worth it 24/7. I still go back and forth between 3.6 w/o Turbo and 3.2 - > 3.84 w/Turbo.
Max Vcore is "supposedly" 1.35v according to Intel, but many argue 1.45v isn't a problem with proper cooling and others even say up to 1.55v is fine. Are you sure you didn't mean QPI/VTT with those 1.15-1.17v stats above? If you meant Vcore, then you got pretty lucky with that chip :D

As far as the QPI/VTT recommendations were for 4 GHZ, not 3.4 or 3.6, so @ your speeds 1.19 VTT is fine. It took me hours and hours of tweaking to get my settings, and it really depends on the chip you get as well as your MB. Some chips do great others are meh, so it just depends really. In other words, what works for my chip, might not work for yours and vice versa.
When I said "I just ran my CPU at a 1.15v VCore, and 1.17v for about 6-7 hours and no stress tests errors. I am thinking I should bump it up to 1.19v to be safe though.", the CPU Vcore at 1.15v was right, but the 1.17v is the QPI voltage. I was thinking of bumping the QPI to 1.19v. Now that I think about it, since I am running 2 dimms, do you think I should? And yes, my CPU is stable in prime95 with 1.15v vcore at 3.4GHz(turbo disabled). :D

Alright, so for 2 dimms, the QPI/VTT voltage is fine at 1.17v?

Do you have XMP Profile enabled or disabled?? That's weird you can't manually set those memory voltages, but my guess would be its not an option on the UD2. Err I just looked @ your MB's manual and it seems you should be able to change those accordingly. As far as voltage, your memory can easily handle 1.65 (1.66), but if you want lower you're just going to have to try different things and test it. What you're proposing sounds fine to me.
I bought 2 sets of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220365 because it was $65.99 per set AR and its running @ 1800Mhz, so yes its overclocked a bit, but its running @ stock voltage. Don't feel bad btw, I'm pretty sufre it was a price mistake and there were only 8 sets available at the time lol.
XMP is disabled. Yes, I can set the memory voltages if I set the DRAM voltages first, then tweak the other voltages after. And yes, I ran memtest with the RAM at 1.7GHz with a 1.56v of DRAM voltage. It passed. What I was wondering was if the other voltages for the RAM(Not the DRAM Voltage) would be fine just set at .75v(Which is stock)? I just ran my memory in memtest at 1.7GHz with a DRAM voltage of 1.56v, and every other RAM voltage at .76v and it passed 11 times with no errors. Also nice grab on the RAM! I got my two sticks when they were at $93 USD. The only thing I really regret about them is the slow timings, but that's why they were so cheap, and thats why I'm ocing. :D

If you're stable with that, then its fine, but I really do recommend Intel Burn Test in addition to Prime 95. It finds errors faster and you can just run 10 passes @ Maximum.

Edit: Make sure your QPI/VTT is never more than .5v less than your DRAM Voltage.
I'll look into intel burn test. And good to know about the QPI Voltage, but might I ask why it should never be below .5v less the DRAM voltage? Learning is never bad ya know. ;)

EDIT: What settings should I put for IntelBurnTest? Also, is v2.4 the current version? I found a thousand different versions, and this is the latest one I found.

EDIT 2: Looked above and saw what you said. I'll run 15 tests @ maximum to be sure. I have one question. Can I run with C3/C6/C7 support enabled? Enabled it drops my temps to 21C at idle, and on Auto it keeps the temps at 30C. Enabled it is dropping my clock to 1.6GHz on idle, and auto it does nothing. Do you think I should enable it?

I also have a question about prime95. What torture test should I use? Should I use Small FFT, In Place or Blend? I would always use In-Place since it was max heat and power consumption.

Alright, well right now my hackintosh is running great at 3.4GHz and 1700MHz for RAM. I stress tested with 14 hours of Prime95, 19 passes of memtest, and 20 passes of IntelBurnTest, and they all passed. Here are my specs:

Baseclock: 170

CPU Multipier: 20x
CPU: 3.4GHz with a 1.15v Vcore
QPI Multipier: 32x
QPI/VTT Voltage: 1.70v
PCH Core Voltage: 1.20v
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.86v
RAM Multipier: 10x
RAM: 1700MHz
DRAM Voltage: 1.56v
All other voltages: .760v

Benchmarks in attachment.

rushko said:
You don't have to disable turbo up to 3.6GHz and I think any i5 can run stable at this freq and even higher depends of cooling. I am runnin stable @ 4GHz/ 1600MHz/1.344V
Are you saying that if you overclock, turbo can run stable until the turbo frequency is 3.6GHz, or the base, 4 core turbo frequency is at 3.6GHz?

Evildemon989 said:
Benchmarks in attachment.

Sorry I can`t see the attachment, where is it or can you just post your score?

Cheers,

Bias

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back