Contribute
Register

Overclocking 4790k GA Z97X-UD3H GTX950 Bios Setting

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the Gigabite GA Z97X-UD3H it is very easy to clock to a stable 4.7GHz. With the usual Hackintosh settings in place, here are the bios settings I am using.

frequency
CPU Clock 4.0
Advanced CPU Core Settings
Turbo Cores all set to 4.7

voltage
CPU Vcore 1.35

ram
Profile 1
Performance Enhanced
Multiplier 2133

Thanks for posting the O/C info HappyJack247.
I tried your recommended BIOS settings for and I have attached a screen shot of my HWMonitor readings.

My CPU fan is a CoolerMaster Hyper T2 and my RAM is 16GB of Crucial Ballistix PC-12800 [email protected] volt. Also I am not using a graphics card, just the built-in Intel HD 4600 graphics.
I have the CPU fan set to high speed in the BIOS.

My system is stable and runs great at the stock settings but I bought this CPU & motherboard with the intention of being able to O/C it.

The "Under Load" screen capture was made while running GeekBench. When the GeekBench progress bar gets to around the 65% to 75% mark, the temps go into the 90's, so I cancel the GeekBench test.

To all readers of this thread, my questions and concerns are:
Are my temperature readings within reason?
Should I try watercooling?
Will I be able to O/C my rig enough to see a "real world" difference? Or should I just settle for stock speeds?

Thanks in advance.
Mike C

Attachments

• OC Screenshot 4.7GHz.jpg
    OC Screenshot 4.7GHz.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 355
Thanks for posting the O/C info HappyJack247.
I tried your recommended BIOS settings for and I have attached a screen shot of my HWMonitor readings.

My CPU fan is a CoolerMaster Hyper T2 and my RAM is 16GB of Crucial Ballistix PC-12800 [email protected] volt. Also I am not using a graphics card, just the built-in Intel HD 4600 graphics.
I have the CPU fan set to high speed in the BIOS.

My system is stable and runs great at the stock settings but I bought this CPU & motherboard with the intention of being able to O/C it.

The "Under Load" screen capture was made while running GeekBench. When the GeekBench progress bar gets to around the 65% to 75% mark, the temps go into the 90's, so I cancel the GeekBench test.

To all readers of this thread, my questions and concerns are:
Are my temperature readings within reason?
Should I try watercooling?
Will I be able to O/C my rig enough to see a "real world" difference? Or should I just settle for stock speeds?

Thanks in advance.
Mike C

Hi Mike,

I think you should consider 80C as the high max under load, the odd flick to 85 and back to 80 okay.
There are a few ways you could go. You could lower the Vcore voltage a little by little, the temp will decrease, but so may stability. Another way is to reduce the Turbo settings to 4.6, it will certainly lower temps. Adding another fan to your cooler may also help.

The best way to get the most from your CPU is to get a good water cooler, the Hyper T2 is not really a clocker's choice.

Please check the settings

frequency
CPU Clock 4.0
Advanced CPU Core Settings
Turbo Cores all set to 4.7

voltage
CPU Vcore 1.35

Last edited:
Like HappyJack247 said, the air cooler isn't going to be enough for the OC you want. Look at a simple AIO water cooler like the Corsair H100i or similar. 1.35v Vcore is almost the max you want to run the chip especially under air cooling. 1.4v may be ok on water, but it's difficult to keep temps down if Vcore is much higher without a custom cooling loop. The biggest thing to remember is never use adaptive to benchmark until you know what your temps look like. Always set Vcore to static until you find a stable OC below TJmax of the CPU. These processors can handle upwards of 90-95C for brief moments, but you risk shortening its lifespan.

On a side note, I also have a 4790k. Each chip is different so another OC setting may not work for you as well as your OC setting may not work for someone else, but I've been able to benchmark (but not 100% stable) at 5.0GHz @ +0.2v Vcore offset (thermal peak ~90C). I settled on a stable 24/7 overclock of 4.8GHz @ +0.05v Vcore offset (thermal peak ~65C). You might want to try 4.7GHz @ 1.2v Vcore static and see what it gets you.

I installed a Corsair Hydro H60 Liquid CPU cooler (replacing the Cooler Master Hyper T2 air cooler). It has made a big difference.
System runs stable at 4.6GHz, CPU Vcore 1.255. Temps rarely go over 79C.
I have not got around to testing different memory settings, but I plan to do so soon.
Thanks for the help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back