Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hy,

When overclocking my i5 2500K via BIOS Multiplier to 40x it still Shows 3.31ghz under "about my Mac"

Disabling Turbo boost in BIOS doesnt change it either.

When checking Realtime CPU Speed via terminal it also says 3.3 GHz...Not 4 like the BIOS shows me when it posts...

How come??

BR
Sascha

Hi there,

I'm guessing no one has responded since you didn't post in the overclocking subforum. From my (limited) knowledge, choosing "About this Mac" and many other things (System Information in the Utilities folder) simply read off the stock information embedded in the processor itself rather than actually testing the processor's speed/frequency.

Below is a link to a long-winded video that will allow to you change the information shown in "About this Mac" manually. Please be careful, though, as you will be modifying some of the internal files (you'll probably want to back up the files mentioned just in case).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh11Ml3QYEY

Hope this helps!

PS - Do NOT use a program called OSx86 Tools, since that is way outdated and breaks "About this Mac" completely under Lion.

The video posted is just to show up in about..

To be read by the system and other applications like geekbench, ect.. you need to edit smbios.plist file

http://prasys.info/2009/09/guidecreatin ... ios-plist/

Tho I did not manage to get it more than 4.2 GHz or so to show up with smbios method.. donno why, maybe its coded that way... donno..

Hey all, I did modified the smbios.plist and the clock speed value reflected in about this mac but its still not real because when I increase or decrease the clock speed it remains 4.2GH in about this mac, any clue

i'm over clocked and haven't modified anything, and mine OC shows up.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-11-13 at 11.15.54 AM.JPEG
    Screen Shot 2011-11-13 at 11.15.54 AM.JPEG
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,139
Kaneda13 said:

Thats a pretty low overclock for a i7, IM assuming your using a 2600K. My stock speed is 3.4Ghz? and that shows up in About my mac.

:problem:

KidCastro said:
Kaneda13 said:

Thats a pretty low overclock for a i7, IM assuming your using a 2600K. My stock speed is 3.4Ghz? and that shows up in About my mac.

:problem:

nope, original i7 (1156), stock speed is 2.8GHz

Kaneda13 said:
nope, original i7 (1156), stock speed is 2.8GHz

Really? Mine is not over clocked and my "stock" speed is showing up as 3.41ghz. Screen Shot 2011-11-18 at 12.38.38 PM.png
I believe intel lists the stock speed under their specifications:

Specifications
Essentials
Status Launched
Launch Date Q1'11
Processor Number i7-2600K
# of Cores 4
# of Threads 8
Clock Speed 3.4 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency 3.8 GHz
Intel® Smart Cache 8 MB
Bus/Core Ratio 34